MasterCard

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga

Ajay Banga

73 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at MasterCard full-time

ProsEnjoyed my time work at MasterCard

ConsLayoffs have occurred over the years

Working at MasterCard has been a great experience

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCompany has been on the path of innovation, it has a great business model and our brand is well known.

ConsMasterCard went public in 2006, prior to that they were private. There is an old culture here that is not keen on changing. We need to work on that.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrying to drive innovation and fun throughout a company is a fantastic things however cannot be done in a suit and tie. Executives need to come to work dressed down to promote a more relaxed environment that promotes innovation

Good company to work for.

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCompany doing well, good benefits, and good work-life balance

ConsForget getting promoted at this organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementPresident should stop being so cocky

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

MasterCard is an amazing place to work if you are motivated for a dynamic career

Senior Business Leader (Current Employee)
Purchase, NY

I have been working at MasterCard full-time

ProsHonest executive commitment to employee development
Unlimited corporate opportunities for growth feed great personal opportunities
Competitive benefits/comp

ConsPart way through a cultural overhaul, and there is a small (getting smaller) group who is not onboard with the program. They create a disproportionate burden for the rest of us.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great progress.

Growth Company - With Lots of Opportunities

Senior Business Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt is hard to argue against a company that is doing so well. You have to work to advance here but your hard work pays off. Great work life balance. Ajay Banga is a true leader that is driving this company in a place that it has never been before. He is tremendous and his impact can be felt through the entire organization. You can't say that about too many CEO's.

ConsIt is hard to work in a b2b2c environment. We do things differently here which are sometimes difficult for someone that is new to the organization/four party model. This growing pain goes away once you understand our business and our business model.

Great place to work...but not perfect

Business Leader, LFI (Current Employee)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 8 years

Prossalary is very competitive and innovation of products really good. CEO is inspiring. There are some incredibly smart leaders within the organization. Good at moving people from one function to another

ConsGrp Heads can behave like demi-gods with sense of self entitlement; Purchase culture is stifling, too stiff and unwelcoming. Those who get ahead tend to do so based on who they know. Always seem to have to do more with less

Advice to Senior Managementgetting things can done can take too long, too many road blocks and culture of risk aversion needs to change

Relatively stable, good brand for your resume but be comfortable with no career path

Business Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros-Relatively stable, the number of re-organizations has been reduced over the last few years
-CEO is inspiring and has a definite vision

Cons-Very very few career opportunities, lateral moves are stressed for exposure to other areas but hiring managers won't hire someone without 110% of the experience they are looking for (actual words used)
-Compensation is average
-CEOs vision seems to get lost between the vision and it's implementation
-If there isn't already someone in mind for an opening, hiring externally is preferred

There is no company that treats its employees worse

Business Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat brand, good to have on your resume

ConsI have been with this company for years. This company changed from the best place to work at to the worse place within last 10 years, especially withing last 3 years.

Facts about working environment:
1. "Clear desk policy" You supposed to lock all of your papers in drawers before you leave. If you leave something on the table that you get warning, after 3 warnings your are fired
2. Health insurance is very expensive with very low coverage and huge deductible that you need to pay before anything will be covered. Company covers only 50% of price vs 70-80% as other companies do.
3. There is no free coffee/tea stations in main building. If you need a drink you had to buy from the stations that sell drinks.
4. Cafeteria is very expensive and you can only use MasterCard to purchase anything, no cash or other cards accepted. Guests or interviewed people who come for the entire day often are unable to eat.
5. Business attire policy. If you want to wear jeans on Fridays, than you have to pay $40 for a month ( 4 -5 Fridays).
6. Company no more has any holiday’s parties, including Christmas because it is expensive.
7. All printers said on double side printing in b/w. Its very annoying to change setting each time toy need to have one side printing.
8. Everybody needs to work in the office regardless of weather conditions. HR send out a letter saying that if you want to stay at work while bad snowfall that you have to take a day off.
9. You cannot buy any expansive office supplies or working tools because everything should be cheap. If you really need something, you should buy it yourself.
10. There is a company gym facilities, you have to pay $25 a month.
11. Lost badge- $25
11. Everybody works on old heavy Dell computers.
12. There are very strict subordination policies in terms of what you can do and cannot depending on your level

Recently MC moved all US employees in a different building across the street.
Half of the floor is now occupied while another half is under heavy construction. People who sit next to construction should every day smell dust, chemicals and work while hearing drilling, sawing and screwing. People complained about working conditions, health issuers and destructive noise.
No HR or higher management tried to resolve the issue. None of the top managers sit next to construction at this moment.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk MC President Ajay Banga to sit next to construction area.

Fantastic company to build a career!

Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat culture and attitude by most of the workforce and management. Energetic and empowering CEO and Executive Committee that creates and gets involved in initiatives in a meaningful way.

ConsCompany went public in 2006 and it seems like there is till a remnant of the "country club" atmosphere. Some people are harder to motivate than others, but i suppose that goes for most workplaces in corporate America. Another potential con is career advancement opportunities depending on the department that you are in. The bigger the department the more opportunities, but also vice versa.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush people out of their comfort zones and hold them accountable for their actions and results. Reward the ones who go above and beyond to add meaningful value to their department and the company's bottom line.

Great company and experience but needs younger people

Summer Intern (Current Employee)
Purchase, NY

I have been working at MasterCard as an intern for less than a year

ProsLot of great people to learn from- and a lifetime of expertise in the payments industry

ConsCan feel a bit outdated at times- needs younger blood

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a great job reforming the college recruiting process! Keep expanding to schools, and aim high!

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!

MasterCard Videos

MasterCard – Why Work for Us?

NOT JUST SHAPING THE FUTURE. CHANGING IT. Here at MasterCard, we work at the heart of commerce. While our people around the world may be engaged in any number of interesting and exciting projects at any given time, we… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MasterCard reviews and ratings in New York City, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MasterCard CEO Ajay Banga. All 73 reviews posted anonymously by MasterCard employees.