MasterCard

Updated January 29, 2015
3.6

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga
Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice (in 12 reviews)

• No priorities at the senior management level (need to be everything to everyone) and execution is unrealistic (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent benefits and salary. Long hours if you work in finance.

Former Employee - Finance Leader in Purchase, NY
    Former Employee - Finance Leader in Purchase, NY

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great money. Lots of opportunity.

Cons

Long hours. Tough work life balance.

Innovative company with great management and a lot of talent.

Former Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Assuming you get into the right group at MasterCard, you will find yourself surrounded by a lot of talent and will often work on interesting and challenging projects.

Cons

Assuming you get into the wrong group at MasterCard, your life will suck.

None

implementation consultant

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, good pay, good people

Cons

worked at IPS, still a young company with no definite leadership or direction

I hoped for so much more

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in O'Fallon, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in O'Fallon, MO

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lofty but achievable goals, driven by innovation, working with some of the worlds best technolgists. They will provide what you want and need to be innovative.

Cons

"Not everyone can be successful" they say. Anyone at mastercard has heard this excuse time and time and time again.

To be "successful" or above, you have to stab your trusted co-workers in the back and constantly try to one-up the next guy, even if they too are trying to be successful. Favoratism rules - not quality of work. Are you a close friend of a Sr. business leader?...cool. You get ALL the rewards regardless of work output or ideas, or efforts! No worries. Do you have creative and innovative ideas...awesome! Just don't expect to get any credit or a raise or bonus for them because your manager will claim that for himself.

You simply can not get ahead without hurting someone else. Its a poor "statistics" based review policy and is so DE-motivating to me over the years that I had to leave. No matter how hard I tried, pushed the envelope, or got involved, follwed the promoted processes, did everything and everything I could think of... i couldnt get ahead.

Lastly - TOO many overseas contactors! Don't get me wrong, some of these guys are awesome -- but many (or MOST rather) can't hold their own to save their life, and when they do aquire a skill, they quit and go somewhere else. Complete waste of everyones time and company money. FTE's spend a lot of time covering for their mistakes and fixing what these "Teflon coated contractors" create. Not that we get any credit for it, but FTE's tend to do the work of 4 brain-dead, timeclock driven contractors. FTE's are results driven and most contractors only care about billable hours. Which would you rather have creating your next great product??

Non management employees work equally as hard and are completely on-board with MasterCard objectives. RECONGNIZE that with proper bonus and raises!! Good Technolgists are not "disposible" -- management is! When you recognize that ALL the new products and technical idea are created by a technogiest and NOT a manager -- then you'll be a better place to work. Until that happens, your an IT based sweat shop. Nothing more.

Great company

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

team environment, growth, free gym, company store

Cons

a lot of political red tape to get ideas moved

Conservative culture, smart people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work, lots of pride in the company and stable, trustworthy culture to be a part of.

Cons

Very corporate, not a lot of opportunity to do your own thing inside such a structured chain of command.

Open yourselves up to new ideas and embrace the changing landscape in financial services. Don't let the attorneys make all of your decisions for you.

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros

Good salary and benefits! Flexible work schedule. If you work hard and determined advancements are achievable.

Cons

Work/life balance can be hard with project deadlines. Micro-managing by certain business leaders.

Frustrating

Current Employee - Analyst in Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in Purchase, NY

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good place to be in for 1.5 years, but I would recommend leaving unless you want to have a stable job and want to be a robot at MasterCard.

Cons

People expect to form business relationships instantly with an email before getting to know people. Communication within groups and divisions are terrible. No clear goals are set.

There is no career growth and very little pay at MasterCard. There are no "perks" at MasterCard Purchase office like other top technology companies.

Most people don't have a work-life balance.

(1) train people how to manage people, be organized, and time management skills at levels. A lot of business leaders are terrible managers.

(2) marketing/branding at MA is a joke. I don't even get to experience or see the Priceless Surprises outside of work.

(3) culture change starts from the top. If people don't see executives participating in fun during the day, then we'll never be like Google.

(4) if people are working late in the office, can you please provide us food, or keep the cafeteria open late. We all know that people work late in the office, so why not make the experience enjoyable.

(5) Better laptops for employees...come on.

(6) why are people so scared to take vacation days at MasterCard. FOMO.

(7) cut the bs politics between groups. Seriously, there are too much duplicate efforts. Groups trying to outperform others on the same task. WTF.

Great Company To Work For With A Few Major Flaws

Former Employee - Project Management Senior Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Project Management Senior Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

MasterCard is a very forward thinking company. I found my time there extremely enjoyable and one where business groups got along and collaborative efforts between departments were encouraged. That old cliche of employees feeling like family actually had some substance here as a good number of people whom I worked with in my department and across a variety of business groups have been with the company for many years. They do hire contractors on as perm employees. Good number of extra office activities also are a bonus. Free tickets, shows, and lunches are often comped.

Cons

The most noticeable and ever present negative to this wonderful company is that the pay rate for managers, analysts, VP's, and technical specialists tends to be somewhere around 30% below the national average for matching roles (this is applicable for the U.S. market only although I have been told this trend is a global one by more distant contacts). This nugget of knowledge is well known within and without the organization. Recruiters and Talent Sourcing Teams often have to set expectations low for new talent and raises and bonuses are not common in North America. I have seen a great number of professionals leave as a result of being way undervalued. I admit that I left for this same reason and this was my most cherished job in my career. A very painful decision for myself and those who left before and after my time. A second equally damaging negative I have seen first hand and continue to hear to this day is that the Latin America division of MasterCard has some deceptive practices when it comes to offering positions and then rescinding them at the last minute. A very close colleague of mine and another former co-worker known to me reported having been offered positions only to never receive callbacks or being placed in the position of turning down other work opportunities in light of being told they had secured a position with MasterCard only to never receive a start date or full offer letter. This is really upsetting as I love this company but I have seen this practice happen to others and have heard that within LATAM this is commonplace.

Recognize you are failing to retain good talent and your low pay rates discourage new hires who are the future of your company.
    Better efforts need to be made with regards to false promises made by VP's and their direct reports with regards to offering positions to potential workers and then going back on their word and not following through. It is a cheap tatic that effects the lives of people who are trying to gain employment with your company and may result in tricky litigation if not properly supervised.

"Impressive CEO, transparent and inspirational; Opportunities for improvement at Silicon Valley office"

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

"Impressive CEO and Executive team, global technology leader in payments space, impressive financial results, increasing transformation of brand to technology brand."

Cons

"Some of Silicon Valley leadership does not embrace Ajay's transparent or inspirational style. There is a lack of leadership leading, and attrition is mounting. Dissapointing from a global industry leader. Location can be undesireable to Silicon Valley talent pool".

"increase transparency and push authority down. Share what is genuine and honest - less corporate speak and dead silence."