MasterCard

MasterCard Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga

Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance (in 39 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy" (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice (in 9 reviews)

• There is a barrier with middle management - the top is visible and engaged but info stops in the middle (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work - glad I made the leap!

Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY

ProsIn addition to their solid place in the market, growing revenues and encouraging future, MasterCard treats their employees well, communicates effectively and provides empowerment to employees at all levels.

ConsLike any large organization, politics can trump basic common sense with decision making. Also, titles for positions are ambiguous which causes some confusion.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile a matrix organization is a great collaborative tool, too many dotted lines or an unclear organizational structure leaves challenges.

Good Company

Consultant (Current Employee) O'Fallon, MO

ProsFast Paced, Good work environment, if you work hard you get rewarded. Good tuition reimbursement, pays for certifications and training.

ConsYou may have to work overtime, not everyone works hard.

Jul 22, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for your review - we are happy that you gave some insight into our culture!

Outstanding culture that drives maximizing employee capabilities

ProsSupportive and progressive culture that drives employees to maximize their capabilities and contributions. Less of the political culture found in other organizations which lends itself better to success. There is a reason it is viewed as one of the best places to work.

ConsThere is a pace that can be heightened as far as delivery of solutions, but a solution is provided. Can increase the cross communication between business and an ease of corporate navigation can be improved.

Jul 24, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks so much for your review - investing in our employees is a critical focus area...

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent company with a dynamic CEO who has led the company thru significant growth and positive cultural change.

Vice President Senior Business Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY

ProsSolid business model with focus on innovation, emerging markets, financial inclusion, merchants, goverments, issuers and consumers.

ConsOverall, excellent place to work, but sometimes organization is hard to navigate despite being relatively small with 8,000 employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on innovation, emerging markets, financial inclusion, merchants, goverments, issuers and consumers.

Jul 22, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for your comprehensive and positive review - an insider perspective is valuable!

About the job...

Account Management (Current Employee)

ProsI find a great live/work balance here at MasterCard; I start early and end early...usually 7AM - 4PM. The benefits are top notch with access to a gym and great medical and the company is doing very well overall.

ConsOn the down side, there is a lot of structure that come along with a bigger, public company...meaning lots of red-tape and reporting to managers.

Jul 22, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

People join Cultures..great tips from an insider - thanks!

Great place to work

Business Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY

ProsAdvancement opportunities exist if you are proactive in finding them and building your network internally. The company has clearly laid out its strategy going forward and has been well received by our customers and shareholders.

ConsNone to report at this time

Summer Intern

Summer Intern (Former Employee) O'Fallon, MO

ProsMasterCard really values their interns. I was given a legitimate independent project, the results of which were used even after the internship was over. There are many internship activities throughout the summer, such as sitting in the MasterCard box at a Cardinals game, volunteering at Junior Achievement Finance Park, and various "lunch and learns" with executives. The internship is one of the most professionally designed programs I have seen. MasterCard provides housing and transportation for interns not from the area which is a huge perk. MasterCard uses the internship program as a pipeline for full-time hires. I was even given the opportunity to work remotely during the school year.

ConsInterns in MTO and IPS don't get to interact much at work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat office culture. You can tell innovation is a priority.

Great place to work

ProsDynamic, interesting work. Solid management team in place and a great outlook for the company

ConsMasterCard could do better hiring straight out of college/grad school. Most employees have significant industry experience that would be complimented by new blood.

Jul 15, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for your feedback - especially on hiring emerging professionals!

Satisified

Business Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY

ProsGreat work life balance and corporate culture

ConsThe company and its people are very kind and professional. Great company.

Jul 15, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Your review is appreciated and will be helpful for others - thanks!

Middle Management will make or break the future of plans of this company if they don't take good care of their reports

Project Manager (Current Employee) O Fallon, MO

ProsGreat Benefits, Occasionally interesting projects if you are in the right team especially if project is a business imperative.
    Great Top Leadership especially CEO. He is taking this company places. If only an ounce of some of his awesomeness can trickle down to the mid level management.

ConsToo much cronyism. Make that extreme cronyism. It's done so openly it stinks.
    Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making your friends into people managers when they lack the ability to managers of technical teams or people managers period. People managers are critical to building the people if they can't it cost the company more money but lost trust and lost team moral.

Jul 10, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Your feedback and candor is important to us - thanks for sharing.

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!