MasterCard

Updated September 10, 2014
3.8

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga
Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance (in 39 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy" (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice (in 9 reviews)

• There is a barrier with middle management - the top is visible and engaged but info stops in the middle (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

Former Employee - Business Leader  in  Purchase, NY
    Former Employee - Business Leader in Purchase, NY

I worked at MasterCard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent work-life balance. Seems like a lot of opportunity for younger less experienced employees to get visibility and get involved in many training opportunities. Senior management is looking for new ideas and products to be innovative within the industry.

Cons

Decision making by some of management is very time consuming. Many people do not want to rock the boat, so there is a lot of looking for a large consensus before a decision is made.

Keep on trying to have mangers be pioneers when it comes to decision making.

Exclusive Company

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Purchase, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in Purchase, NY

I worked at MasterCard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great pay and work-life balance

Cons

Job security and the integrity of the company is awful

Be transparent with staff

Smart, Talented Individuals - Company progressing very well

Current Employee - Leader  in  O'Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - Leader in O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent pay, benefits, vacation, 401k, holidays. If working for the right manager, life is very good. Much room for advancement, coaching and education are encouraged.

Cons

Some high-level management have no business "managing" people. Complaints are put back on the lower-level management, who end up stuck in the middle with no alternative but to move to another position. If you are friends with one of these high-level managers, you're in - if not, better looki for another position. On the other side of the house, there aren't many promotions in current positions (even as you grow) unless you apply to a higher level.

HR should listen to their employees, not simply nod and say "I understand." That does not produce results. When People Effectiveness Survey results are published to management and HR 1. Commend those with high results and 2. Deal withi those who have low results. Don't ignore them.

Sep 8, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thank you for your candid remarks. We take reviews and our employee surveys seriously to garner insight for continuous improvement!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Consultant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Purchase, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY

I worked at MasterCard as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The company continually offers training courses and programs in all business areas, so there is a lot of opportunity for professional growth and development.

Cons

While the company utilizes a large number of consultants to contribute to strategic planning, consultants' opinions are not valued by long-term senior executives with over 20 years of experience. The company appears to be going through a transformational change and could benefit by transforming their talent pool.

There are really brilliant people at the Business Leader level who should be promoted to Senior Business Leaders and Group Heads.

Great company

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Del Rio, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Del Rio, TX

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is good compared to others

Cons

Being mean to people most of the time

Relax

Great Company- no wonder people dont ever leave!

Current Employee - Business Leader
    Current Employee - Business Leader

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing collaboration with top minds in payments industry. Sense of innovation is prevelant in the Mastercard of today, staying ahead of the curve, hiring experts in emerging payments areas, digital payments, alternative currencies etc. Lots of great product innovation happening in digital space, that i was not aware of until I started. Havent met a nasty person yet. Everyone is very team focused, havent yet encountered the heavy internal politics that is so common in big corporations. Very impressed with the talent and not just the fact that there are lots of great, highly skilled minds here but that they totally are not afraid to admit when they dont know something and they graciously accept new info from a new person without feeling threatened. Shocking.

Cons

There is a slight lacking in direction for new people, ie a sense of 'just jump in wherever you can' which makes you feel sort of under utilized until you get deep into multipl;e projects which just takes a while to happen, but I also appreciate that there isnt a big pressure cooker to have your hands into everything right out of the gate like you get in some smaller co's and start ups. You just kind of gravitate to where your skills are and no one breathes down your neck.

Possibly for the first couple of months it would be helpful to have specific to-do's/fillers assigned while you ramp up in your new role, like give an internal presentation on your areas of expertise from the outside world etc.

Aug 21, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

We appreciate your comprehensive and candid review - thanks!

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Business Leader
    Current Employee - Senior Business Leader

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Compensation very competitive, solid management team, loads of career opportunity, company truly cares about its employees

Cons

A great deal of lateral opportunity, but can be challenging to find upward opportunity especially at senior management level, at times management is not as transparent as they should be

Become slightly less risk averse, beat Visa to the punch, continue to focus on emerging payment opportunities

Aug 18, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for your thoughts - an open, transparent culture is a winning one!

wonderful experience

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for less than a year

Pros

So far my thoughts about Mastercard are very positive. The people and the environment is very friendly. The employees really are commited to the organiztion and management sees it. I can say that I am proud to be a part of this company and look forward to seeing the future here. I would for sure tell friends and family that this is a great place to work.

Cons

there are no cons that I have seen

Aug 19, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

So glad that your early experience is so positive! Thanks for sharing....

Evolving into a technology company

Current Employee - Business Leader  in  San Carlos, CA
    Current Employee - Business Leader in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Senior leadership has a great vision for the future of the company and employees have bought in. Strong growth and profitability has allowed for acquisitions to keep pace with the change and innovation. Great benefits, profit sharing and health plan. Great internal communications and resources available to team members. A company with a social conscience.

Cons

One challenge is the highly regulated industry environment which inhibits rapid development and change. Can be bureaucratic and sluggish to move.

Communicate clear ownership and install processes to accelerate implementation of new strategic initiatives.

Aug 18, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Your sentiment regarding being socially conscious is what brings great pride; as we say Doing Well by Doing Good! thanks for your review

Admirable Culture

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than a year

Pros

The companies culture is extremely impressive. I have worked as a contractor for a little over a year and recently became an employee and couldnt be happier. I worked for another company based in St. Louis for 5 years and they are night/day with MasterCard. There is lots of employee appreciation and a also a committement to employee growth.

Cons

Any time you are working in IT there will be lots of challenges with the work which can be stressful at times. The only thing is it is very hard to come into this company as an employee without knowing someone first.

Aug 6, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Culture is a key driver when people consider working for any Brand - thanks for your thoughts!

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!