MasterCard

MasterCard Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga

Ajay Banga

Pros:
  • "Very good environment and good work life balance"
    in 34 reviews
  • "Good benefits especially for employees with families"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "MasterCard HR tries to promote work/life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Everyone under middle management is expected to work "more than 40 hours" per week"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Former Employee

Anonymous (Former Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

I worked at MasterCard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMany great people, nice benefits, good physical environment - interesting work.

ConsPolitics can be very frustrating, some internal management promotions are very questionable! The work life ratio can be extremely unbalanced - depending upon specific managers. Yearly reviews are skewed - above average ratings are not necessarily based on performance - but rather on the clique and opportunities management assigned.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a closer look at the internal promotion and good old boy network. Review the yearly performance rating policies.

Wonderful experience with a great corporate culture.

Consumer Engagement (Former Employee)
O Fallon, MO

I worked at MasterCard as an intern for less than a year

ProsCorporate culture, flexibility, work load, good perks, nice pay. Overall a very good and respected company. They have a wonderful cafeteria in Missouri.

ConsThe communication structure could have been a bit better. The work did become a bit repetitive over time. Nothing that is intolerable for a larger company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication.

Great Company

Human Resources (Current Employee)
Miami, FL

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than a year

ProsGood management, good benefits. balanced approach

ConsCulture in transition. As any other company in the same situation, some people may have to leave.

Senior Analyst

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompetitive salary and bonus packages, flexible working hours. A lot of learning opportunities.

ConsWork life balance can be challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to elect MasterCard stock in the 401K program

Excellent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Purchase, NY

I worked at MasterCard full-time

ProsEnjoyed my time work at MasterCard

ConsLayoffs have occurred over the years

Good place to work but sliding backwards

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood pay, including good bonus that is always paid. Fast pace. Good time off. Ability (even pushed) to move around and try different areas. Looks great on a resume since everyone knows MC.

ConsWhile pay is good raises don't exists. So if you are looking to work here get every penny up front because you won't even keep up with inflation. Health coverage SUCKS!!!! It's very expensive and low coverage. Most of the Execs came up in the company so they micro manage because they did all the jobs before. Red tape everywhere. They are looking to outsource everything in IT that isn't the latest/coolest thing. It's leading to the basics taking forever, and thus costing more, and ironically, leaving less money for the latest/coolest things. Purchase (business) and St. Louis (IT) don't work well together. Ajay says we are an IT company yet he rarely comes to the IT headquarters. If we are an IT company Ajay should move to St. Louis and establish that as the headquarters.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something about salary range penitration. You are ok now but turn-over will start to really hurt as average pay moves back to the pack. Fix the healthcare package.

Never bored

Business Leader (Current Employee)
O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI get to work with emerging technologies. If you do not like the area you are working in, there are many others to advance your career.

ConsFast paced. Everything is needed yesterday. If you cannot Multi-task, this is not the pace for you.

Doesn't get any better!

O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMasterCard is amazing both in its focus on consumers and on employees. Our benefits are very generous (i.e. 3 weeks of vacation your first year, benefits from Day One, etc.). A ton of training is offered as well as an amazing education assistance policy (100%!!!). Our CEO is down-to-earth, easy to understand and follow his vision, and a good person, what an awesome combination!

Consbeauracracy is still very heavy in certain areas

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many rules, too many forms and procedures. Progress has been made but there is much to do.

Working at MasterCard has been a great experience

Vice President (Current Employee)
Purchase, NY

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCompany has been on the path of innovation, it has a great business model and our brand is well known.

ConsMasterCard went public in 2006, prior to that they were private. There is an old culture here that is not keen on changing. We need to work on that.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrying to drive innovation and fun throughout a company is a fantastic things however cannot be done in a suit and tie. Executives need to come to work dressed down to promote a more relaxed environment that promotes innovation

Challenging somewhat rewarding nice experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at MasterCard full-time

ProsChallenging somewhat rewarding nice experience

ConsLack of leadership and hiring of wrong people, A lot of opportunity for advancement but was taken advantage of by various people with various reasons.

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!

MasterCard Videos

MasterCard – Why Work for Us?

NOT JUST SHAPING THE FUTURE. CHANGING IT. Here at MasterCard, we work at the heart of commerce. While our people around the world may be engaged in any number of interesting and exciting projects at any given time, we… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MasterCard reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MasterCard CEO Ajay Banga. All 224 reviews posted anonymously by MasterCard employees.