MasterCard

MasterCard Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga

Ajay Banga

Pros:
  • "The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance"
    in 36 reviews
  • "Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy""
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "MasterCard HR tries to promote work/life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Overloaded with processes and middle management"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Middle Management will make or break the future of plans of this company if they don't take good care of their reports

O Fallon, MO

ProsGreat Benefits, Occasionally interesting projects if you are in the right team especially if project is a business imperative.
    Great Top Leadership especially CEO. He is taking this company places. If only an ounce of some of his awesomeness can trickle down to the mid level management.

ConsToo much cronyism. Make that extreme cronyism. It's done so openly it stinks.
    Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making your friends into people managers when they lack the ability to managers of technical teams or people managers period. People managers are critical to building the people if they can't it cost the company more money but lost trust and lost team moral.

Good people, nice place and professional attitudes.

O Fallon, MO

ProsRelax work environment with great people to work with.

ConsYou have to like the Mid West to work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementI do not have anything negative to say about MasterCard.

Flag Review
    MasterCard VP, Employer Brand Marketing responded to this review Jun 27, 2014 EditDelete
    Your experience is a great testimony to why we were ranked so highly as Best Places to work in STL - Thanks!

MasterCard is a great company!

Purchase, NY

ProsUnder Ajay's leadership MasterCard has become more diverse. There has been a growth in women and ethnicity within the Purchase location. However, I would still like to see more women in Exectives Roles. It also offers a good work-life balance.

ConsSome managers lack leadership skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the constructive feedback that is given.

Flag Review
    Thanks so much for your candid response!
  • We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Growing company with new opportunities for career growth.

Business Leader (Current Employee)
    Purchase, NY

ProsHiring new employees that bring a new perspective to the company is helping to create a better culture. The company offers challenging work, a good corporate culture and provides a great work environment. There are growing opportunities in new areas of the business.

ConsFunding can be limited for projects and long work hours and sometimes unrealistic expectations can make it stressful. There are some bad managers you wouldn't want to work for but it seems to be improving very slowly.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold managers accountable for coaching and supporting their employees

Flag Review
    MasterCard VP, Employer Brand Marketing responded to this review Jun 30, 2014 EditDelete
    Thanks for sharing your experience!

At MasterCard...Everything they told me is true and that's awesome!

ProsMasterCard is going through incredible change and that makes it a very exciting place to work. Innovation and thinking outside of the box is highly encouraged so all employees can make a difference and contribute to the MasterCard difference.

ConsAs with all change there is some resistance.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue building a creative and fun culture while retaining the highly valued culture of caring about our employees and customers

Flag Review
    Great feedback - we are highly focused on doing well while doing good!

Great benefits!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company has very good benefits. With the new CEO, the culture within the organization has been changing for the good.

ConsAny ideas suggested usually goes through all levels for approval which could be hindrance at times. Incompetent leadership in some roles are stagnating the growth in their areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to embrace an open culture by giving opportunities to high performers.

MC Review

Saint Louis, MO

ProsPay and benefits are amazing but it comes at a cost. The culture isn't for everyone.

ConsCulture can be extremely fast paced & cut-throat. Also a very cold place to work focused on results only.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your people

Excellent company with a strong vision for the future

Senior Business Leader (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsMasterCard has strong focus on employees and provides excellent opportunities for future growth. MasterCard's continued success in the card payment business will ensure a rewarding environment for new employees.

ConsMany career development opportunities tends to be centered around corporate headquarters as you reach more senior roles. However, MasterCard truly isn't that much different than most major corporations with a centralized headquarters.

a great time to be working at MasterCard

Saint Louis, MO

Prosgreat benefits and opportunities to intereact across business units. Always comfortable environment.

Conssometimes it seems that important information intended for all employees doesn't make its way down the line. There is a barrier with middle management - the top is visible and engaged but info stops in the middle.

Self-Starters Only Need Apply

Senior IT Analyst (Former Employee)
    O'Fallon, MO

ProsGreat Benefits Including Bonus Program
    Casual Dress
    Work From Home (Most Positions)
    Beautiful Campus With Onsite Fitness Center, Full Cafeteria, Game Rooms, etc.

ConsWork Pace Can Be Grinding At Times
    Not Enough People To Meet Expectations/Goals
    Meetings, Meetings, Meetings!
    Separatist Attitude Amongst Management - Too Good For The Trenches

Advice to Senior ManagementStay In Touch With What's Really Going On
    Listen More, Meet Less

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!

MasterCard Videos

MasterCard – Why Work for Us?

NOT JUST SHAPING THE FUTURE. CHANGING IT. Here at MasterCard, we work at the heart of commerce. While our people around the world may be engaged in any number of interesting and exciting projects at any given time, we… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MasterCard reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MasterCard CEO Ajay Banga. All 254 reviews posted anonymously by MasterCard employees.