MasterCard

Updated December 21, 2014
3.7

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga
Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice (in 12 reviews)

• No priorities at the senior management level (need to be everything to everyone) and execution is unrealistic (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros

Good salary and benefits! Flexible work schedule. If you work hard and determined advancements are achievable.

Cons

Work/life balance can be hard with project deadlines. Micro-managing by certain business leaders.

Great company

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

team environment, growth, free gym, company store

Cons

a lot of political red tape to get ideas moved

Conservative culture, smart people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work, lots of pride in the company and stable, trustworthy culture to be a part of.

Cons

Very corporate, not a lot of opportunity to do your own thing inside such a structured chain of command.

Open yourselves up to new ideas and embrace the changing landscape in financial services. Don't let the attorneys make all of your decisions for you.

"Impressive CEO, transparent and inspirational; Opportunities for improvement at Silicon Valley office"

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

"Impressive CEO and Executive team, global technology leader in payments space, impressive financial results, increasing transformation of brand to technology brand."

Cons

"Some of Silicon Valley leadership does not embrace Ajay's transparent or inspirational style. There is a lack of leadership leading, and attrition is mounting. Dissapointing from a global industry leader. Location can be undesireable to Silicon Valley talent pool".

"increase transparency and push authority down. Share what is genuine and honest - less corporate speak and dead silence."

review

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

work-life balance based on position.

Cons

lots of politics. lots of meetings and not a lot of progress

Oligopoly: money to waste, status quo to preserve

Current Employee - Senior Business Leader in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Business Leader in Miami, FL

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

With strong winds in our backs from customers getting off cash worldwide and the only competition from a similarly badly run organization, MasterCard vaults are loaded with dough spent ever so freely. Lavish customer events and entertainment, gorgeous marketing campaigns and interesting projects that don't have to make impact, nice salary and benefits for employees, and nobody has to really work hard.

Cons

During my years here, we have been overwhelmed with speeches about new culture that would be different from the days of associations, but MasterCard remains a mostly political place with senior executives caring much more about their personas rather than clients or employees. Executive management meetings feel like user-card salesmen conventions from the 80s. HR has the most power, often making and overruling business management's decisions. With the exception of 2-3 people of Level 3 and up, you are learning by watching how executives behaving and then doing the exact opposite. I used to work for Visa and we couldn't figure out how our so badly managed company could be kicking MasterCard out all over the world... now I understand why.

Take a very long vacation and see if it makes any difference, then reflect on "why" if it doesn't

Strong growing company - opportunity exists although not always upward

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Operates in a great industry with significant organic growth opportunity as cash and checks migrate to digital payments. Good people - smart, dedicated, generally collaborative. Great CEO - leadership, inspiration, face of company to the world. Diverse work teams provide diffferent perspectives. Exciting times due to digital / mobile technology change.

Cons

Career opportunities are often lateral. Can be challenging from a work / life balance perspective. Global business oftens means calls at all hours.

Execution, execution, execution.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY

I have been working at MasterCard as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great leadership, flexible managers, fast growing company

Cons

Its a hassle to get from NYC to Purchase, NY (~90 mins)

Great

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Purchase, NY

I have been working at MasterCard (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities for growth

Employee benefits, health, salary, and learning opportunities

Global mobility

Small large company, so there's the ability to have exposure to executives and directly impact the business

Cons

People managers lack proper training however not all managers are bad, most are really helpful

Location, outside the city, not ideal for millennials

MasterCard Response

Nov 3, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Brief, concise review albeit clearly states the upside at working at our evolving technology brand - thanks very much!

MasterCard enabled me the ability to work from home especially during inclement weather conditions

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company knows where it wants to go and is doing a great job getting there

Cons

The majority of better opportunities are located in St Louis.

Managers need to allow more involvement for there employees especially on projects where the employee knows the work best