MasterCard Reviews

378 reviews filtered by

Smoke and Mirrors !

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great for graduate or intern to have on resume. Great Brand name and recognition. Good salaries, working environment, and colleagues.

Cons

The company is trying to make itself into a technology company but this is ridiculous.
    The top brass run around spinning their story. The top executives are 'real innovators', mainly lawyers, accountants or ex Citibank cronies.....there's a success. That tells you enough!

They have fired or laid off so many experienced quality professionals in the US and abroad with the goal of replacing these people with younger cheaper staff. It is very short sited.
    It is hard to believe they have not been charged with discriminatory practices in the people they fire, mainly female employees and also people 40 and over or close to pension. That's US labor laws!
    They post many non-existing jobs. I heard from European colleagues that the jobs do not exist and are never filled. The HQ in Belgium is being moved to London and regions but no one will admit this. I heard the plan is 5-10 years. They make jokes that the President, Javier Perez, must be a ghost because no one ever sees him!

The company does not embrace anyone who does not tow the line and managers at senior level have complete autonomy to get rid of anyone they do not like for any reason. They are fully protected by the HR police or should we rename them the 'firing squad'.

Since the new CEO and his EGO moved in several years ago, all the nice amenities of the company slowly disappeared.

Advice to Management

Is there enough room in the building for Mr Banga and his Ego!

Good pay for experienced professionals

Former Employee - Associate Analyst in Purchase, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Analyst in Purchase, NY

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

I thought the pay and opportunity for promotion was good.

Cons

It was a very political environment and how well you did depended on how well liked your manager was among his peers and upper management.

Advice to Management

Embrace different management styles and not just give lip service to diversity.

3. Great Company

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros

Flexible work life balance. Co-workers are great

Cons

Changes in Management can causing conflicting goals in business

Good experience but few promotional opportunities unless you are a political player

Former Employee - Senior Managing Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Managing Consultant

I worked at MasterCard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits; many people generally willing to share and cooperate; strong in marketing and operations; nice facilities though not always conveniently placed; Fairly easy to maintain a healthy work and personal life balance

Cons

No performance based culture, more a meeting and who do you know culture; little training; MBO's are generally division objectives completely outside of an individual's control; little room for growth. Managements replacement of experienced experts with new generalists has hurt quality. Too much stress on conformity.

Advice to Management

Develop a more performance based system and culture; Implement an objective system with goals that an employee actually can influence; institute career planning and paths.

6. Good Place to Work Overall

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

More positive, upfront people who value effectiveness

Cons

The passive-aggressive, back-stabbing side still exists, even if it's gone down

Advice to Management

Stop boosting people who push themselves ahead of the company

7. Great internship opportunities

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

Becoming more and more like a tech company in terms of corporate culture; easy to talk to upper management

Cons

Location of HQ is in Purchase, NY, which one could see as the middle of nowhere. Communication between departments could use some work

Overall it is a thorough internship program, and interns are presented with different opportunities and projects.

Former Intern - Merchant Consulting in Purchase, NY
    Former Intern - Merchant Consulting in Purchase, NY

I worked at MasterCard as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance, everyone is encouraged to meet and network within the firm.

Cons

The culture is relatively lax. Smart and efficient employees are not properly rewarded while others aren't as good are not criticized either.

Advice to Management

Hire some better people and raise compensation, especially since the company is in Purchase and not NYC.

9. Didn't live up to their promises

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY

I worked at MasterCard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits/pay are really good and work/life balance is pretty good as well. As far as big companies go, it offers all the standard things.

Cons

They promised a lot when I interviewed in terms of training, projects, international travel, and generally made it sound like an exciting place to be. That wasn't really the case. The training was slapped together last minute and I got stuck doing mundane projects for the whole year and a half that I worked there. Even when I asked for more challenging work, I was mostly ignored. Beyond that, my boss probably couldn't even tell you where my desk was and I maybe saw him once a month - not ideal in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Be more involved with your lower levels and listen to changes they suggest.

10. Good Company!

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

Innovative company to work for

Cons

Some departments are still old style

Advice to Management

Not much

Great concept, poor execution

Current Employee - Analyst in Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in Purchase, NY

I have been working at MasterCard full-time

Pros

In their defense, work-life balance is really great (if you're in the right group) and you can work remote quite often...but this is usually a result of the fact that almost everyone here has a commute.

Benefits and vacation days are very good for an entry level position.

You will learn a lot about the payments industry and at the very least, be prepared for any workplace situation you will encounter in corporate America. The company looks very good on your resume and will give you a lot to talk about when interviewing for exit opportunities.

Cons

- Commute from NYC is awful and mentally and physically taxing. It especially puts the younger employees in a personal dilemma between living in white plains, or living in the city and having to travel 1.5 hours each way (3 hours a day total, 2.5 days of your life lost every month to the commute)
    - The standards for the quality of your work are low. You can put in minimal effort and still walk away with a good performance review (this might be a pro for some, but if you're looking to be intellectually challenged and do something meaningful, it will be soul-crushing)
    - Office politics can't even be described in words. Slows the pace of innovation incredibly.
    - Sure, you may get a lot of "responsibility", but be prepared to see your recommendations and attempts at the innovation the company craves fall onto deaf ears.
    - Team structures here just don't work. Every team is a subunit of another unit and there is no true collaboration.

Advice to Management

Encourage more TEAMWORK. Hold SBLs and managers to actual accountability, or hire them based on their ability to be effective mentors rather than the amount years of experience they have. Tone down the whole massive cultural shift to a "technology" company until you have the leadership and systems that can attract and retain younger talent.