MasterCard Reviews

Reset

Watch out for "queen bee" in LAC

Current Employee - Not Important in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Not Important in Miami, FL

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with at the middle management & lower level. People generally excited to go to work in most departments

Cons

"Queen Bee" is a typical example of mobbing and playing political games in the work place, everyone fears for their job in that department. Very unhealthy work place to be in.

Advice to Management

If changing the corporate culture is a mandate coming from the top, please take a strong look at the department in-charge of you're people.

2. MasterCard is changing

Pros

Good compensation and a lot of good managers

Cons

The Corporate culture is changing and becoming more cutthroat.

Advice to Management

The talk about the culture is one view but the reality is something different. Figure out what you really want to be and speak and act consistently

3. Senior Technical Consultant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at MasterCard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Before they went public they were a very good company - they cared about the employees and their core systems to support the business. People were very hard working. Pay and benefits were great.

Cons

Employees who remain technical over 50 years old are generally treated poorly and have few opportunities for continued professional development.. One manger told me "if they were smart they'd get into management so they get what they deserve".

Advice to Management

Change your focus back to creating and maintaining high quality software systems. Fairly treat employees, particularly the long term employees that still have technical expertise in the systems.

Stable company but that's it

Current Employee - Business Leader in Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Business Leader in Purchase, NY

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stable company, they will be around for a while and are profitable.

Cons

Compensation is below average, and opportunities for advancement are few and far between.

Advice to Management

Provide actual incentives for lateral moves (saying that you are getting new skills doesn't work when the hiring managers are not willing to hire someone without years of experience doing everything in the job description) and stop telling hiring managers to only hire externally.

Political powerhouse - HR corruption.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY

I worked at MasterCard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on who you work for, this can be a great experience. Ajay Banga changed the place for the most part so now it's more innovative and people are more hardworking.

Cons

There is tremendous corruption in HR. A few people have been there too long and have way too much power. Way too many layers, VPs are a dime a dozen.

Loved the work - but no life balance in the data warehouse!

Former Employee - Data Warehouse Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Data Warehouse Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at MasterCard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co workers, nice environment, meaningful work. Good benefits!

Cons

To advance - you really have to be part of the "in crowd". Once a part of the in crowd - standard HR rules do not apply. Many managers do not have management experience and policies are not applied fairly. Friends are given good assignments and allowed to "work" from home on Fridays. Several managers are known throughout the co to have unreal expectations of their reports and are more focused on their own advancement than supporting the team. Routine 60 - 70 hour weeks are standard under some managers. Complaints to HR go unresolved.

Advice to Management

Truly review management practices.

Uncomfortable and hostile at the lower to middle management level.

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hiring new and younger employees while maintaining existing generations which provides a broad spectrum of existing experience and new ideas. Benefits are still reasonable and there is a matching 401k which starts vesting in the first year. Senior management is absolutely moving in the right direction.

Cons

Old school hostility still exists in pockets. Attempts are being made to clean up unacceptable behavior but it's like moving a battleship.

Advice to Management

Train your management team and have HR proactively involved. When your overall management score is ranked below a 6 on a scale of 1 - 10 specific intervention would be useful.

Lack of leadership.

Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at MasterCard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was a contractor for an associate software engineer position for $25/hr. I was paid on time. You work a lot more than you are paid for, but it is very nice to work with such a large organization. It is a big place. I am sure there are some good teams there.

Cons

The details of the job were hidden behind senior employee's egos. I was constantly reminded that I was a contractor and not an employee. There was an enormous lack of communication. I was constantly being cussed at and berated. I guess management was constantly overworked. There was a lot of negative gossip initiated by management. Obviously, you work hard and feel good about your work and are let down when after looking people in the eye day in and day out and dealing with a lot of nonsense you receive a call from a contract representative you've met once saying you are no longer employed. A lot of micromanagement.

Advice to Management

Don't feel threatened when you are looked in the eye and spoken to. If something was not done to your satisfaction, communicate it or provide criticism/feedback.

Great company

Current Employee - Account Executive in Del Rio, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Del Rio, TX

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is good compared to others

Cons

Being mean to people most of the time

Advice to Management

Relax

Oligopoly: money to waste, status quo to preserve

Current Employee - Senior Business Leader in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Business Leader in Miami, FL

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

With strong winds in our backs from customers getting off cash worldwide and the only competition from a similarly badly run organization, MasterCard vaults are loaded with dough spent ever so freely. Lavish customer events and entertainment, gorgeous marketing campaigns and interesting projects that don't have to make impact, nice salary and benefits for employees, and nobody has to really work hard.

Cons

During my years here, we have been overwhelmed with speeches about new culture that would be different from the days of associations, but MasterCard remains a mostly political place with senior executives caring much more about their personas rather than clients or employees. Executive management meetings feel like user-card salesmen conventions from the 80s. HR has the most power, often making and overruling business management's decisions. With the exception of 2-3 people of Level 3 and up, you are learning by watching how executives behaving and then doing the exact opposite. I used to work for Visa and we couldn't figure out how our so badly managed company could be kicking MasterCard out all over the world... now I understand why.

Advice to Management

Take a very long vacation and see if it makes any difference, then reflect on "why" if it doesn't

RSS Feed </> Embed