MasterCard Reviews

Great Company To Work For With A Few Major Flaws

Former Employee - Project Management Senior Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Project Management Senior Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

MasterCard is a very forward thinking company. I found my time there extremely enjoyable and one where business groups got along and collaborative efforts between departments were encouraged. That old cliche of employees feeling like family actually had some substance here as a good number of people whom I worked with in my department and across a variety of business groups have been with the company for many years. They do hire contractors on as perm employees. Good number of extra office activities also are a bonus. Free tickets, shows, and lunches are often comped.

Cons

The most noticeable and ever present negative to this wonderful company is that the pay rate for managers, analysts, VP's, and technical specialists tends to be somewhere around 30% below the national average for matching roles (this is applicable for the U.S. market only although I have been told this trend is a global one by more distant contacts). This nugget of knowledge is well known within and without the organization. Recruiters and Talent Sourcing Teams often have to set expectations low for new talent and raises and bonuses are not common in North America. I have seen a great number of professionals leave as a result of being way undervalued. I admit that I left for this same reason and this was my most cherished job in my career. A very painful decision for myself and those who left before and after my time. A second equally damaging negative I have seen first hand and continue to hear to this day is that the Latin America division of MasterCard has some deceptive practices when it comes to offering positions and then rescinding them at the last minute. A very close colleague of mine and another former co-worker known to me reported having been offered positions only to never receive callbacks or being placed in the position of turning down other work opportunities in light of being told they had secured a position with MasterCard only to never receive a start date or full offer letter. This is really upsetting as I love this company but I have seen this practice happen to others and have heard that within LATAM this is commonplace.

Advice to Management

Recognize you are failing to retain good talent and your low pay rates discourage new hires who are the future of your company.
    Better efforts need to be made with regards to false promises made by VP's and their direct reports with regards to offering positions to potential workers and then going back on their word and not following through. It is a cheap tatic that effects the lives of people who are trying to gain employment with your company and may result in tricky litigation if not properly supervised.

2. Great company

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

team environment, growth, free gym, company store

Cons

a lot of political red tape to get ideas moved

3. Conservative culture, smart people

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work, lots of pride in the company and stable, trustworthy culture to be a part of.

Cons

Very corporate, not a lot of opportunity to do your own thing inside such a structured chain of command.

Advice to Management

Open yourselves up to new ideas and embrace the changing landscape in financial services. Don't let the attorneys make all of your decisions for you.

5. I have been working at MasterCard

Pros

Good salary and benefits! Flexible work schedule. If you work hard and determined advancements are achievable.

Cons

Work/life balance can be hard with project deadlines. Micro-managing by certain business leaders.

6. "Impressive CEO, transparent and inspirational; Opportunities for improvement at Silicon Valley office"

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

"Impressive CEO and Executive team, global technology leader in payments space, impressive financial results, increasing transformation of brand to technology brand."

Cons

"Some of Silicon Valley leadership does not embrace Ajay's transparent or inspirational style. There is a lack of leadership leading, and attrition is mounting. Dissapointing from a global industry leader. Location can be undesireable to Silicon Valley talent pool".

Advice to Management

"increase transparency and push authority down. Share what is genuine and honest - less corporate speak and dead silence."

7. review

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

work-life balance based on position.

Cons

lots of politics. lots of meetings and not a lot of progress

Oligopoly: money to waste, status quo to preserve

Current Employee - Senior Business Leader in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Business Leader in Miami, FL

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

With strong winds in our backs from customers getting off cash worldwide and the only competition from a similarly badly run organization, MasterCard vaults are loaded with dough spent ever so freely. Lavish customer events and entertainment, gorgeous marketing campaigns and interesting projects that don't have to make impact, nice salary and benefits for employees, and nobody has to really work hard.

Cons

During my years here, we have been overwhelmed with speeches about new culture that would be different from the days of associations, but MasterCard remains a mostly political place with senior executives caring much more about their personas rather than clients or employees. Executive management meetings feel like user-card salesmen conventions from the 80s. HR has the most power, often making and overruling business management's decisions. With the exception of 2-3 people of Level 3 and up, you are learning by watching how executives behaving and then doing the exact opposite. I used to work for Visa and we couldn't figure out how our so badly managed company could be kicking MasterCard out all over the world... now I understand why.

Advice to Management

Take a very long vacation and see if it makes any difference, then reflect on "why" if it doesn't

Strong growing company - opportunity exists although not always upward

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Operates in a great industry with significant organic growth opportunity as cash and checks migrate to digital payments. Good people - smart, dedicated, generally collaborative. Great CEO - leadership, inspiration, face of company to the world. Diverse work teams provide diffferent perspectives. Exciting times due to digital / mobile technology change.

Cons

Career opportunities are often lateral. Can be challenging from a work / life balance perspective. Global business oftens means calls at all hours.

Advice to Management

Execution, execution, execution.

10. Great place to work

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Purchase, NY
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Purchase, NY

I have been working at MasterCard as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great leadership, flexible managers, fast growing company

Cons

Its a hassle to get from NYC to Purchase, NY (~90 mins)

Good pay, nice hard-working people, consensus based, lots of change

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at MasterCard full-time

Pros

The CEO and CFO are good visionary people. They work hard and are great motivators. St. Louis has a nice campus for employees. The environment is very pleasant and professional. For a small company in terms of employees they are doing quite well financially and have room to grow. The NY office is high energy and houses most of the senior leaders. NY is definitely the place to consider working if you want a long-term career at MasterCard and like the area.

Cons

Compensation and raises could be more generous for the worker bees at lower and middle management levels. Work life balance could be better with long days and/or regular evening and weekend work. Many people at all levels are under a lot of stress and carry heavy work loads. Managers could benefit from learning to say "no" and receive more training on managing people and employee coaching. Skip level meetings and 360 feedback are very informal if at all. Having worked in larger corporate environments there is definitely room for improvement in management training. It is also common for promotions and position changes to be announced and employees may not have had an opportunity to apply internally.

Advice to Management

Systems could be improved and several are dated. Trust your people and move forward with new ideas and encourage leaders to think strategically and then act tactically as opposed to acting first and changing direction multiple times during implementation. Keep it simple and execute on fewer key initiatives. Strive for a more positive work-life balance to keep people refreshed and encourage senior leaders to respect and expect this type of culture.

MasterCard Response

Nov 24, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for your comprehensive and candid review.