MasterCard Reviews

• Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

1. Great company, solid future

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Market place is always changing and evolving so no opportunity to get bored. Comp seems to be in line or a little above average

Cons

CEO and one level down need to get more in touch with the rest of the company and stop believing their own hype. Tricky given the amount of comp they receive and probably no worse than elsewhere but seems to be getting worse.

Advice to Management

Start listening more.

2. Great Company

Current Employee - Human Resources in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Miami, FL

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good management, good benefits. balanced approach

Cons

Culture in transition. As any other company in the same situation, some people may have to leave.

3. Never bored

Current Employee - Business Leader in O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I get to work with emerging technologies. If you do not like the area you are working in, there are many others to advance your career.

Cons

Fast paced. Everything is needed yesterday. If you cannot Multi-task, this is not the pace for you.

5. Working at MasterCard has been a great experience

Current Employee - Vice President in Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in Purchase, NY

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company has been on the path of innovation, it has a great business model and our brand is well known.

Cons

MasterCard went public in 2006, prior to that they were private. There is an old culture here that is not keen on changing. We need to work on that.

Advice to Management

Trying to drive innovation and fun throughout a company is a fantastic things however cannot be done in a suit and tie. Executives need to come to work dressed down to promote a more relaxed environment that promotes innovation

6. Growth Company - With Lots of Opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Business Leader in Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Business Leader in Purchase, NY

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is hard to argue against a company that is doing so well. You have to work to advance here but your hard work pays off. Great work life balance. Ajay Banga is a true leader that is driving this company in a place that it has never been before. He is tremendous and his impact can be felt through the entire organization. You can't say that about too many CEO's.

Cons

It is hard to work in a b2b2c environment. We do things differently here which are sometimes difficult for someone that is new to the organization/four party model. This growing pain goes away once you understand our business and our business model.

7. Challenging somewhat rewarding nice experience

I worked at MasterCard full-time

Pros

Challenging somewhat rewarding nice experience

Cons

Lack of leadership and hiring of wrong people, A lot of opportunity for advancement but was taken advantage of by various people with various reasons.

8. Great place to work...but not perfect

Current Employee - Business Leader, LFI in Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Business Leader, LFI in Purchase, NY

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

salary is very competitive and innovation of products really good. CEO is inspiring. There are some incredibly smart leaders within the organization. Good at moving people from one function to another

Cons

Grp Heads can behave like demi-gods with sense of self entitlement; Purchase culture is stifling, too stiff and unwelcoming. Those who get ahead tend to do so based on who they know. Always seem to have to do more with less

Advice to Management

getting things can done can take too long, too many road blocks and culture of risk aversion needs to change

On a journey of transition

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

MasterCard has a very competitive benefits package, base pay is average, but performance is recognized via end of year bonus quite well. Opportunities for advancement as a people manager are plentiful for those with a keen acumen of IT-to-business value and good management skills. For those on a purely technical career path, opportunities for advancement *can* be plentiful. However you'll need to be very adaptable and not tied to just one technology or job function. Otherwise, it's possible to reach a block point where further advancement within a given discipline isn't possible. The workforce at MasterCard have a great community spirit. Whether it's through the business resource groups (Women's Leadership Network, Young Professionals, PRIDE, Technology Leadership Network, etc.) or through involvement with the United Way and Junior Achievement the people of MasterCard do a lot of fantastic things together. The campus is nice, including a cafeteria, gym, and a few gaming areas. Internal programs for computer based training on programs like PCI, ITIL, and Six-Sigma as well as opportunities to participate on tiger-team type functions are easily available should you have the time or inclination to want them. Commercially, the company is doing fantastic. Internally the operations world is in a state of transition. As MasterCard continues to push for deeper connections direct to the consumer that will call for an adaptation of their IT Operations and Technology staffing and mindset.

Cons

Work load can be INTENSE for those wanting to advance their career. You will not find much opportunity here if you're only interested in coming in and doing an 8 hour day with an hour lunch in the middle. Due to a focus on the consumer, MasterCard has several initiatives rushing to market in parallel and as such require delivery of IT Service and Operational support at a rapid pace. Though the company is operating that way at the top, IT staffing and funding decisions aren't based around that same mantra. For people managers who identify a staffing gap, it's often only after a process *breaks* that the business case is given merit. The campus is nice, however it's going through some changes. Due to space constraints a "cube restack" is changing the cubicle configuration to a smaller, less private cube. There are collaborative "pod" configurations as well. BUT ultimately if you're a people manager requiring privacy or a technical person who requires distraction-free working conditions you'll find them in short supply. However, they do offer an alternative workplace program for tele-working. It's disappointing that the gym and cafeteria aren't subsidized. Though convenient, the cafeteria food becomes pretty repetitive and the pricing doesn't provide a satisfaction that you've gotten what you paid for. The gym again is incredibly convenient, but can be very crowded during peak usage, especially if you have a short window to get your workout in. For the monthly price paid (with no discount options for full year or contract based pricing) the gym waters down the value of having it on site. Because the company is doing so well and driving so hard with card-holder focused initiatives there is a distinct lack of resources. Both from a staffing perspective, as well as training and tool funding. The intense pressure to outsource operational level tasks all while maintaining the same ops tempo has lead to challenges internally in quality requiring more time and pressure on deliverable schedules. The big question is would I recommend this company to others? That answer for me is still a **yes**. Of course there are challenges, but in today's IT world I don't really know of any opportunities in the local area that don't have those in some form or another. If MasterCard is still in exactly the same place it is now five years in the future, maybe that answer changes. However, I'm looking forward to the opportunity to both influence and watch to see if that change happens.

Advice to Management

You can't have your IT "cake" and eat it too. Though people managers and individual contributors continue to attempt to deliver IT services at the same intensity and pace of technology behemoths like Google and Amazon, we will never ultimately be as successful as we could be as we just aren't staffed and funded like that. To deliver core like services at commodity like pricing requires a different mindset at the operations and engineering level. Increased funding for in-sourced rather than out-sourced subject matter expertise including training and conference opportunities would allow MasterCard to deliver the same code, solutions, and designs cheaper, quicker, and at a higher quality than many of the third-party vendors we contract with today. As the CEO of MasterCard speaks internally about how we should run our business, we need to hold ALL our management chain accountable for living those same values.

10. Great company and experience but needs younger people

Current Intern - Summer Intern in Purchase, NY
    Current Intern - Summer Intern in Purchase, NY

I have been working at MasterCard as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Lot of great people to learn from- and a lifetime of expertise in the payments industry

Cons

Can feel a bit outdated at times- needs younger blood

Advice to Management

Doing a great job reforming the college recruiting process! Keep expanding to schools, and aim high!

11. Good company to work for excellent benefits

Former Employee - Leader
    Former Employee - Leader

I worked at MasterCard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Mostly very good hard working people. Depending on your role and the people you work with it is a great place to work.

Cons

Too much political wrangling. As in all large organizations the person you work for can make all the difference. Management can make it very difficult for you to advance if they want too which needs to change if they want to keep quality individuals.

Advice to Management

Ensure your employees have a real chance for moving throughout the company and remove barriers that allow current managers to stop that movement

RSS Feed </> Embed