Match Charter Reviews

4.0
CEO

1. Tutor, Teaching Assistant, Administrative Assistant

Former Employee - Match Corps Tutor in Boston, MA

I worked at Match Charter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good, passionate, smart people. Students are fun, engaging, bright. Teachers are hardworking, caring, knowledgeable.

Cons

The overall mission is a bit problematic, in the context of education and quality of life. Administration is good, but oftentimes policies and the practice of good teaching clash.

Advice to Management

Trust your teachers more. Dialogue more across parties. Include the voices of students and parents more.

Summer Academy Tutor

I worked at Match Charter part-time

Pros

Good pay. Great training and experience if you're interested in teaching. Have a real, discernable, immediate impact in the lives of motivated young people.

Cons

Early start hours. Student effort level varies. Some of the buildings didn't have air conditioning. Business clothing required.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Teaching at Match's summer school was an excellent experience. The only reason I reduce career opportunity rating is because it was a summer job, and I'm not interested in teaching long term.

I knew what I was getting myself into, and still it was a surprise.

Current Employee - Match Corps Tutor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Match Charter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff that Match Community Day provides for their Corp members. The weekly feedback meetings that we receive. The administrative team who is always there to help us. The experience that we get from Match and the practice we use. It definitely opens a lot of doors for us for other jobs after.

Cons

The low pay. The heavy hours. The fact that there seems to be a huge disconnect between the Corp members and teachers/staff.

Advice to Management

I think there could definitely be more interaction between the Corp members and the teachers/staff. A lot of times, I feel we aren't in the same page even if we really want to be.

5. The MATCH Corps is an incredibly tough year, but gives you an incredible support network

I worked at Match Charter full-time

Pros

Hands on work with peers, incredible coworkers

Cons

A ridiculous work load, low pay

MATCH Corps- stressful

Current Employee - Match Corps Tutor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Match Charter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Spending time with the students and actually seeing gains Strong student achievement focus Good resume builder- if you want to teach Corps is generally supportive of one another and very passionate

Cons

60-70 hour work weeks terrible work/life balance poor support structure from administration micromanagement weird power dynamic b/w Corps and teachers even though we are around the same age did not have adequate work space for corps tutorial is too structured and not always focused on what is best for your particular student- you don't have a lot of flexibility in changing content

Advice to Management

The management at MATCH claims to focus a lot on feedback, but I never felt like my feedback was taken into account. The Corps needs to be treated as individuals whose time is valuable and who can be trusted 100% of the time. There were multiple points in the year where I felt I was being treated either like a student or hired labor.

7. Being a MATCH Corps member is grueling and rewarding.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

At MATCH, you truly have the opportunity to make a difference with youth in Boston. Other MATCH Corps members are very dedicated, smart and fun.

Cons

The hours are crazy, between 60 and 70 hours per week. The pay is very low. The work can be very stressful.

Advice to Management

Leadership should try to increase the efficiency of MATCH Corps duties in order to make improve work life balance at MATCH.

8. Challenging but rewarding

Current Employee - Match Corps Member (Tutor)
    Current Employee - Match Corps Member (Tutor)

I have been working at Match Charter full-time

Pros

The other tutors are all amazing people -- really smart, passionate, and dedicated. The kids are also really fun and it's so neat to see their progress over the course of the year. The Match Corps program is a great opportunity, whether you want to become a teacher in a No-Excuses Charter School setting or not, to take a year and make a difference.

Cons

You work really long hours, there's very little work-life separation, and the work can be really stressful at times.

Burn out

Current Employee - Corps Member
    Current Employee - Corps Member

I have been working at Match Charter part-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Building meaningful relationships with the students. The students are awesome and interacting with them (and helping them succeed) is the only thing that keeps you sane.

Cons

* The hours (60-70 hours a week) make it impossible to achieve a healthy work/life balance * Micro-management means you have no control over your tutorials and sometimes you end up reviewing materials your students have already mastered even though they need the extra help in other subjects * Negative work environment - you don't feel like you are trusted, lots of guilt from administration if you need time off, treated like kids

Advice to Management

Trust your Corps member to know their students and to individualize instruction for them.

10. Challenging

Pros

Innovative, flexible, challenging are some of the words that come to mind. It is a time consuming but rewarding place to work

Cons

There are temporary staff positions that turn over every year. So continuity continues to be a challenge for this school.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing but work on institutional memory. It is key to the organizations long term success.

RSS Feed </> Embed