Match Charter

Match Charter Reviews

Updated Jan 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

I knew what I was getting myself into, and still it was a surprise.

Match Corps Tutor (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Match Charter full-time for less than a year

ProsThe staff that Match Community Day provides for their Corp members. The weekly feedback meetings that we receive. The administrative team who is always there to help us. The experience that we get from Match and the practice we use. It definitely opens a lot of doors for us for other jobs after.

ConsThe low pay. The heavy hours. The fact that there seems to be a huge disconnect between the Corp members and teachers/staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think there could definitely be more interaction between the Corp members and the teachers/staff. A lot of times, I feel we aren't in the same page even if we really want to be.

The MATCH Corps is an incredibly tough year, but gives you an incredible support network

Match Corps Tutor (Former Employee)

I worked at Match Charter full-time

ProsHands on work with peers, incredible coworkers

ConsA ridiculous work load, low pay

MATCH Corps- stressful

MATCH Corps Tutor (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Match Charter full-time for more than a year

ProsSpending time with the students and actually seeing gains
Strong student achievement focus
Good resume builder- if you want to teach
Corps is generally supportive of one another and very passionate

Cons60-70 hour work weeks
terrible work/life balance
poor support structure from administration
micromanagement
weird power dynamic b/w Corps and teachers even though we are around the same age
did not have adequate work space for corps
tutorial is too structured and not always focused on what is best for your particular student- you don't have a lot of flexibility in changing content

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management at MATCH claims to focus a lot on feedback, but I never felt like my feedback was taken into account. The Corps needs to be treated as individuals whose time is valuable and who can be trusted 100% of the time. There were multiple points in the year where I felt I was being treated either like a student or hired labor.

Being a MATCH Corps member is grueling and rewarding.

I have been working at Match Charter

ProsAt MATCH, you truly have the opportunity to make a difference with youth in Boston. Other MATCH Corps members are very dedicated, smart and fun.

ConsThe hours are crazy, between 60 and 70 hours per week. The pay is very low. The work can be very stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership should try to increase the efficiency of MATCH Corps duties in order to make improve work life balance at MATCH.

Challenging but rewarding

Match Corps Member (Tutor) (Current Employee)

I have been working at Match Charter full-time

ProsThe other tutors are all amazing people -- really smart, passionate, and dedicated. The kids are also really fun and it's so neat to see their progress over the course of the year. The Match Corps program is a great opportunity, whether you want to become a teacher in a No-Excuses Charter School setting or not, to take a year and make a difference.

ConsYou work really long hours, there's very little work-life separation, and the work can be really stressful at times.

Burn out

Corps Member (Current Employee)

I have been working at Match Charter part-time for more than a year

Pros* Building meaningful relationships with the students. The students are awesome and interacting with them (and helping them succeed) is the only thing that keeps you sane.

Cons* The hours (60-70 hours a week) make it impossible to achieve a healthy work/life balance
* Micro-management means you have no control over your tutorials and sometimes you end up reviewing materials your students have already mastered even though they need the extra help in other subjects
* Negative work environment - you don't feel like you are trusted, lots of guilt from administration if you need time off, treated like kids

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your Corps member to know their students and to individualize instruction for them.

Challenging

I have been working at Match Charter

ProsInnovative, flexible, challenging are some of the words that come to mind. It is a time consuming but rewarding place to work

ConsThere are temporary staff positions that turn over every year. So continuity continues to be a challenge for this school.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing but work on institutional memory. It is key to the organizations long term success.

Worked for Match Charter? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Match Charter reviews and ratings. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Match Charter employees.