Matco Tools Reviews

Timothy J. Gilmore

1. District manager

Current Employee - District Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - District Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Matco Tools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Travel in your local territory

Cons

Upper management changes focus monthly

Have regional managers trained

This was a good entery level postition to get your feet wet.

Former Employee - Financial Services in Stow, OH
    Former Employee - Financial Services in Stow, OH

I worked at Matco Tools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They had great benefits regarding vacation, sicktime and health. I genuinely enjoyed the people I worked with.

Cons

They are the epitimy of a call center wher the customer is only a number. You are expected to take calls from the distributors but not help them when they ask for the help. The only option is to answer the phone, take a credit application and push the distributor off the phone.

Allow your employees to care for your customers more, the distributors will be more satified and have a lower turnover rate.

A company of talented, down-to-earth, hard working people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stow, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stow, OH

I have been working at Matco Tools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People: The company has attracted some very talented, intelligent people in their Stow headquarters. I feel privileged to work alongside the team.

Promotions: Advancement is fostered and encouraged – just make it known you want to further your career. Eagerness is rewarded.

Cons

Lean: Operates on very tight resources, both in regards to manpower and financial resources. Can be a good thing in a company, but can leads to a burned-out mutual feeling among the team.

Be conscientious about ensuring there are enough "doers" to carry out new initiatives when bringing on additional directors and upper management. Many have great ideas – but these ideas just get added to the ever growing to-do list for the lower level associates to carry out.

5. Full of lies and deceit

Former Employee - Distributor/Franchisee

I worked at Matco Tools full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You learn that no one is your friend and all most any one cares about is money.

Cons

By the time you have your loan and tool truck paid off they start to push on you. By this time, if you actually make it this far you are finally starting to make some money. You have grown you're route and now they say you have too many customers. Well look at that, it is almost time for your 10 year renewal. Now they will force you to give up part of you're route and get this...... buy another $100k + tool truck even if the one you have is perfect. It's all about being a sheep in the field.

Go back to what you did in the 90's when you cared about us and our customers. Fin, form, functionality, and you probably forgot the rest.

Truly a customer driven company

I have been working at Matco Tools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very tenured people. Lots of promoting from within. Everyone is very driven to provide the best service for the franchisees. Since we are all working toward the same goal, everyone is happy to jump in to help each other. The benefits are very reasonable because the company is a subsidiary of Danaher. We are always driving to do more and achieve better, and I feel we are headed in the right direction by doing so. I like the community involvement too with Susan G Komen donations and United Way.

Cons

Would like to see more employee to employee recognition.

Continue growing your people internally.

I can't believe the deceit

I have been working at Matco Tools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

whatever little there was is gone

Cons

the post "truly a customer driven company" was written by a corporate employee who was told to do so after it was discovered Glassdoor reviews were so bad. It was discussed in a company meeting and the instruction went out to find some (if they could find any) satisfied franchisee to write a good review. The one they found in CA I'm not even sure is real. Read the remarks, this company has a 29% approval rating among existing employees and lower among former ones. Management is rated a 2 and that is with the insiders input too. This is being written as we are at Expo, the annual convention where we trick and swindle the franchisees into buying more inventory than they can afford while we finance it for them then cut them off when they fall behind on payments. Of the 90+ District Managers, at least 30% are actively looking for another job and the rest are either brand new or too old to find another job. The ONLY focus at every level is on selling new franchises. The failure rate has exceeded the new sales for the past several years, which has cost several DMs their job and another reorganization. I'm one of the too old to get another job guys but would leave in a minute if I could find anything at all which would allow me to support my family.

Are you kidding, advice is not something that is welcomed at the field level or in Stow

8. Great Franchise

Current Employee - Sales of Profession Tools in Northridge, CA
    Current Employee - Sales of Profession Tools in Northridge, CA

I have been working at Matco Tools full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Self employed make of it what you will. As a business owner you get what ouput into it

Cons

Self employed. Business ups and downs with the market

Focus

RUN - RUN -RUN - RUN - RUN

I have been working at Matco Tools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None whatsoever for a franchisee

Cons

Business model built upon finding the uneducated, unsofiscated, gullible prospect then sending an uneducated, unsofiscated, greed-motivated employee who will say or do anything to get a contract signed, which obligate the new franchisee to extremely high interest "in-house" loans. This is followed by no training, a falsified route set-up and constant pressure to buy more inventory, which is over priced to the competition and market. SNAP-On owns this industry as evidenced by an 80 percent failure rate for Marco franchisees in the first two years. Most major banks and the SBA REFUSE to finance ANY Matco venture regardless of the prospective franchise's credit rating (research Google SBA Matco Tools failure rate) then you'll know why they were forced into the much touted "in-house" financing (at extremely high interest rates).

Management is the punchline to the Matco joke. 18 percent, let me repeat, 18 percent of current and former people associated with Marco Tools rate this company favorable go any extent and even fewer would recommend Marco to a friend. RUN - RUN - RUN

Nightmare

Former Employee - Distributor/Franchisee

I worked at Matco Tools full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Well, there is that concept that you get to be your own boss, run your own company, at least in theory. In practice that's not really the case. You can run your own business as long as you do it the way they say.

Cons

Too much risk put on the distributor. Company encourages you to take on additional debt, not only through excess inventory but by extending credit to your customer base who may not have the means to pay. No risk to the company since they come after you, not the end consumer.

The business model is built on a post WWII economy. Its time to modernize.

Distributor

I worked at Matco Tools

Pros

Lots of potential
    Some of the managers are great

Cons

Micro manage their distributors
    Can not retain quality management
    Very hard to be successful in this economy
    Be careful. Work/Life balance is very hard

Quality not quantity

Matco Tools Photos

The first snow is always nice in Stow. By spring, we're tired of it.

+ Add Photo