Materia

Add Photos

Mike Giardello

Growing Pains

Chemist (Former Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsGreat medical, vision and dental benefits.
    Food and drinks provided.
    Pretty decent company shin-digs.
    Location: near Old Town Pasadena.

ConsExperiencing some growing pains! Materia needs to shed its skin and get rid of poor management from days of yore. Inconsistent expectations amongst departments and favoritism make working at Materia a "hit or miss".

Advice to Senior ManagementDo the right thing and listen to your employees!

Fun environment, uneven expectations

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsGreat scientific staff
    Great benefits
    Friendly environment
    More food than you can eat in your lifetime

ConsFavoritism is a problem - employees with the same responsibilities are not always held to the same basic expectations. Salary is middling, but the benefits make up for some of it. Very much a top-down environment; ideas seem to be weighed according to a persons title, not the merit of the suggestion.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees, at every level. The company still seems to be making start-up mistakes, that should have been ironed out years ago.

The biggest waste of time and talent I've seen in my career

ProsWorking with amazingly bright individuals who are dedicated. Great location in Pasadena. Lots of free food.

ConsWorking with these same bright individuals who were hired to be "yes men". Never think of challenging the CEO or how good (or bad) their product is. They do "analysis for analysis sake", not strategy. Upper management has a very arrogant view that they can do everything better themselves and not seek out partnerships with industry. Their strategy isn't to make a profit, it is to raise money from investors (a.k.a.: suckers).

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have the talents of many talented individuals at your disposal. Start to listen to them (esp. those with more industry experience than you). Use them or you will end up sinking this ship called "materia" and affecting many lives along the way.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A total waste of my time and talent. The Upper Management: two PhD's and one GED, have no interest in making profit.

You Get to Make Up Your Own Title (Former Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsThe weather was nice in Pasadena most of the year.

ConsManagement still refers to the Company as a "Start-Up", even though they have been in operation for 13 years! No profit only debt to show for it.
    Why could a Cal Tech Professor that won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry hire former students with zero Industry experience, to commercialize his life's work?

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Board of Directors need to wake up to protect their investments and replace the Three Stooges before it's too late.

Company with no defined strategy

ProsVery smart acedemic colleagues, great team atmosphere. Everyone willing to help each other out.

ConsUpper management wants to tackle and go after many markets with their product yet, the only fundamental interest is mostly on acquiring investor funding, not on commercializing a successful product. They also seem to want to do EVERYTHING themselves instead of relying on potential partnerships to help develop a product. To top it off, the three top guys keep so much information to themselves as if to avoid exposure.

Great place to work!

Chemist (Former Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsFast paced environment where your input counts.
    Diverse projects
    Rapidly growing small company

ConsToo much free food...it'll make you fat working there!

Best job I have had in 15 years

Director of Human Resources (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsBenefits are great, atmosphere is dynamic and challenging, pay is realy good, feel valued in my job. The company is exploding with technical innovations being brought to market.

ConsWorking in a start-up, leading edge technology platform company can present financial constraints that sometimes hinder our growth and resouce support for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTop down communication could be improved and folding in different departments with strategic initiatives could help create momentum and buy in from all the groups.

Materia is the best company I have ever worked for.

Shipping/Receiving & Inventory Control Specialist (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsGreat people, close to home, great compensation, excellant benefits, work with you between personal and work life. Great management team.

ConsThere really isnt any downside to working at Materia. We have some gliches once in a while regarding paperwork properly filled out, but other then that it is a pleasure to work here.

Worked for Materia? Contribute to the Community!