Materion Reviews

32 reviews filtered by
2.2
Materion Chairman, President and CEO Dick Hipple
Dick Hipple

Keep in mind that the bad reviews are mostly from the workers that got laid off.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyngsboro, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyngsboro, MA

I have been working at Materion full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are alright.
    Not as bad as most of the reviews suggest.
    Most of the coworkers are alright.

Cons

Has always been mismanaged.
    Not too lenient on working hours - they have eliminated 3rd and weekend shift.

Lighten up.

2. The Fremont, CA, facility is a great place to work, supporting x-ray equipment manufacturers and speaker companies.

Current Employee - Technician in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Technician in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Materion full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The place is small enough that you can do lots of different things but part of a larger company so that support is there when it is needed. The other employees really care about the customers and making sure they get what they need. There is very much a "can do" attitude here.

Cons

Not much room for advancement, following rules from Ohio that don't make sense, more focus on established procedures than on creativity and developing new ways to do things.

Set policies that make sense here, not just blindly following whatever comes from Ohio. Encourage more training and education, and find ways to give people more responsibility.

Absolute shame

I have been working at Materion

Pros

Steady paycheck, experienced coworkers are awesome! That's pretty much it.

Cons

Middle management is an absolute joke, managers are in charge of departments which they know absolutely nothing about which makes employees jobs that much more stressful. Constantly have being laid off in the back of your mind, and 2% raises every year whether you do a good job or not. Their is absolutely no career path without an education and employees are referred to as "resources" so upper management won't be effected when they dispose of your position. #Truth

Wake up, listen to your "bottom of the barrel" employees! They know a lot more than you realize and they are your most precious resource

5. "Blind, deaf, and dumb management"

Current Employee - Technician
    Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at Materion

Pros

None, the only pro is a paycheck and insurance. Besides that it is a completely dead end job

Cons

Management is clueless. Nobody pays attention to anything or anyone. Pride in ones work is a thing of the past.

Talk to your employees about how to fix the important issues. Don't only concern yourselves with how to make things look good on paper.

6. What a shame.

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Materion full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None except this company is lucky they are in the precious metals business. They make money in spite of their total incompetence.

Cons

You can't survive incompetence forever. From what I have seen this company will fall sooner or later. Sales management is really a joke. Leadership in this area is terrible and has been for many years. Operations and the executive management team only know how to layoff and execute simple cost cutting measures rather than implement meaningful change.

House clean sales leadership. Value your hard working, long term employees rather than turning you back on folks that have given you decades of their loyalty. Saving a buck in that way only makes your company look more pathetic.

7. Up and down

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westford, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westford, MA

I have been working at Materion full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great ( not managements ). They know what they are doing and willing to cooperate to make the company better.

Cons

Logistics/planning is terrible. Everyday and every week we are being rush to get products out the door. Top management keep on putting people from different department in charge of other department.

Don't promote people because you"re buddy with them. Also some management only look good because of the hard-working, dedicated employees; not because management is great at managing. Employees are being overwork which could put their safety at risk. Some departments only have one or two persons and only one shift; need to hire more workers.

8. Thin film Coating Technician

I worked at Materion full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Eight years of service at Materion was an awesome experience that I ever had.

Cons

Still having terrible feeling since gotten laid-off.

Please taking care of my co-workers, and wish you all the best of success!

A company that could care less about it's employees!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Materion full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent wage and half way decent benefits.

Cons

The worst management team I have ever seen in a company. This company makes money by accident. I don't believe they have a clue what they are doing. It's the who you know game at this place. They could care less about the hard working people on the floor that are lining the management's pockets.

A leadership change at the Buffalo facility is a must. The top people at this place are destroying what was once a great company to work for.

10. Ok company to work for

I have been working at Materion full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing technology, has been around forever, benefits and pay are ok

Cons

Shaky leadership and recent layoffs

people don't matter,lies

Current Employee - Technician in Westford, MA

I have been working at Materion full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My peers and some family type relationships that were formed, but other then then that I can't think of anything else.

Cons

After Barr associates was bought by Materion there has been nothing but a down hill death spiral in Massachusetts. Mining company bought a high tech company and everything went sour. Just look at all the layoffs since Barr sold. I was blown away by their judgment and unwillingness to listen to anyone who actually new what they were doing. Very sad that I was kicked out of a company that I loved for 17 years, and it only took 4 years after the buy out. Upper management had no clue after the take over, and the new HR department soured as well. I don’t think the overall company is doomed, but after I became a number instead of a name I felt doomed. Low moral, so sad after it was such a fun exciting company for me for so long.

listen more, get off your high horses