MathWorks

MathWorks President and CEO Jack Little

Jack Little

177 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Work hard party harder

Quality Engineer (Current Employee)
Natick, MA

I have been working at MathWorks full-time for more than a year

ProsEverything about here is great

ConsNone about the company that I dont like as of today

Stable secure company to work for with good work/life balance, with a critical culture

Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at MathWorks full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits, pay and perks. Stable company and I work with fun smart creative people.

ConsThe critical culture is helpful for continous improvement, but rarely celebrates what one has done well. Some managers do this well, but management and coaching skills are inconsistent as many get promoted for their technical skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about the human nature of feedback, and adjust the performance review process to focus more on the positive, to help motivate all employees.

Many stay for 5 to 10 years, that says a lot

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Natick, MA

I have been working at MathWorks full-time

Pros* Great benefits package
* Great 401k matching
* Great bonuses during great years
* Good bonuses during mediocre years
* Most teams seem to have a very good work life balance
* Transferring between teams is allowed
* Great automated testing harness
* Regular desktop PC upgrades with high end systems
* Dual monitors (one 24 and one 22 inch) for developers and quality engineers
* Mac developers get a 27" iMac
* The company has a lot of social events (they are called Tuesdays, but don't always fall on Tuesdays)
* Great anniversary trips
* Great summer outing every year
* Really good requirements and functional specification before development begins so as to avoid having to rewrite too much code as you progress
* Very good deadline setting for new features. They do not attempt to force things in that would end up being rushed and sloppy. Instead the focus switches to fixing bugs in the other new features for a given release so that the overall quality is high. Trust me, this is a great way to work and leads to great morale and great work life balance.
* Managers almost always come from within
* Many junior level new hires come from their Engineering Development Group which leads to having co-workers who have knowledge of a wide range of the product line and customer viewpoint
* Usability is a huge focus
* When the economy gets tough, they do not layoff because they are private

Cons* No MBTA subsidy
* New ideas for products or features seem to only come from a select group and so it doesn't feel like you can be as creative as you would hope
* Managers are promoted on their project management rather than their people skills. It would be better to have managers manage team leads who would do the project management, and have the managers still do regular duties (development or whatever on the side) in addition to management. Team leads should handle project management, managers should handle people management, and they are two very different skill sets.
* There is supposed to be 360 review, but rarely do you get to review your manager
* The parking spots are extremely narrow and cars are regularly damaged by other cars. It seems like 2-4 people post about their cars being damaged per month asking for the person who hit them to please step forward.
* The working from home policy is VERY restrictive.
* The office closes for almost nothing. We were open even the day of hurricane Sandy. We closed during the afternoon just as things were starting to get crazy outside.
* Base pay seems kind of low

Advice to Senior ManagementTeam leads and department leads should manage projects. Team leads and department leads should not automatically manage people though as they quite often do. People management is a very different skill set than project management, and many technical people with good project management skills often do not have the greatest people management or people skills in general.

It seems like new ideas only come from a select group. That needs to be opened up somehow, or that perception needs to be changed.

High expectations, underwhelming results

Revenue Accounting and Controls (Former Employee)
Natick, MA

I worked at MathWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros-Consistently a leader in its class
-Financially healthy
-Great work/life balance
-Fun parties
-Young company

Cons-Atrocious pay compared to regional market
-Zero and I mean zero transparency
-If you're not an engineer or developer, you're a commodity
-Little to no advancement potential (salary or responsibility) for "S level" (service) positions - Revenue Accounting and Controls, Customer Service, Sales Support (Account Management)
-Micromanagement in the extreme (President/CEO approving remote work requests and pricing discounts)
-Account Management is sales support, plain and simple.
-Customer Service is traditional CS, and Revenue Accounting and Controls is simply a glorified data entry and AR collections position. If you have a finance degree, and accounting degree, or an MBA you should *absolutely* not be spending your time in such a position. The people are great but you are wasting your time and valuable years of your early professional career. I understand people joining between 2007 and 2011 due to the economy but at this point, you're hurting your career advancement and severely handicapping your career advancement potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just pay lip-service to the concept of career advancement and don't sugar coat position descriptions or treat your employees like children. Every HR compensation "study" that's performed looks at NATIONAL average salaries...only problem is- we live in or near one of the highest cost-of-living areas in the country...national average compensation metrics are severely crippling MathWorks' ability to retain entry level personnel. That was fine during the recession because employees were a dime a dozen but as the economy recovers - MathWorks will find its compensation structure model severely outdated.

Full time employee at MathWorks

Web Applications Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at MathWorks full-time for less than a year

ProsGood work-life balance.
Smart People
Collaborative Working Environment
Flat organizational structure
Privately Held

ConsBelow average salary
No work from home

You should definitely give it a shot!!!

Data Tools Developer Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at MathWorks part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat place to work at. Very supportive team. The work with MATLAB on the Web (MOTW) is very interesting. You get an exposure to other teams in the company as well and it helps you can find the area that best fits you. Most important, the company gives you a good work/life balance. I have had one of the best experience working at MathWorks.

ConsMATLAB language maybe new to you. But it is easy to learn and work with.

To be successful you have to drink the coolaid. (See Culture and Values below)

QA Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at MathWorks full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood pay, private company with quarterly bonuses based on revenue and performance. Delivery of software products for engineering and science applications. Strong penetration in the market and in University curriculum.

ConsCompletely development centric. No real authority as a Manager, but for managing individual contributors. Company focus on Quality, but this does not translate to better quality. Some senior managers are "untouchable" so things don't necessarily improve. Performance ratings not really set by managers; VPs can override. Managers have little say. Hard to get things done as a manager due to lots of politics. Many quality initiatives, but few have significant impact due to lack of adoption by teams that choose not to adopt quality initiatives. Flat QA organization: younger managers with 5 years of experience are at the same job level as those with 25+ years.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the CEO - the Quality Initiative is a failure (see above). It's a case of the emperor's new clothes. No one tells the executives that processes don't work. Not a good place for professionals who want to get things done.

Great company to work for!

Applications Support Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at MathWorks full-time for less than a year

Pros*Flexibility to let you learn, grow and do what interests you.
*Treats employees well, with benefits, free breakfasts etc.
*Very friendly work environment.
*Encourages and provides opportunity for you to participate in passions that are not related to work as well.

Cons*No work from home.
*Not the job for you if you are looking to start on day 1, takes 3 months of training before you start on the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good job!

Has an outstanding software processes that makes it easy to be at zero bugs!

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at MathWorks full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat pay for the Boston area. Great software processes that lends itself to very high quality. Amazing in-house build system that automatically builds your code across many different platforms. Outstanding release management system and team. Excellent automated test framework that distributes testing across the company servers. Super-star engineers throughout the company. Great culture. Good chance of getting your own office. Insanely amazing benefits, including 100% up to 6% 401k match! Great bonus program. Good vacations.

ConsPrivate company, so no stocks. Health insurance co-pay could be lower. Extremely limited tele-commuting policy. Can feel bureaucratic at times. Traditionally hired only engineers and only recently started hiring computer science grads, which means that some of the older code is not coded up as well as it could have.

Okay place.

Applications Support Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at MathWorks part-time for less than a year

ProsPeaceful Area and friendly environs.
Smart people who really know their stuff.
Free cookies on Friday and free breakfast on Wednesday.

ConsManagers focus way too much on the so-called company culture and the MW way of doing things. What really matters is not given enough importance.
Low salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the things that matter, not useless, minor stuff.

Worked for MathWorks? Contribute to the Community!

MathWorks Videos

MathWorks – Why Work for Us?

Every member of the MathWorks team, from our finance department to our developers, contributes to delivering the software that impacts the things we all rely on in our daily lives. Think we’re exaggerating? Think again… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MathWorks reviews and ratings in Boston, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MathWorks CEO Jack Little. All 177 reviews posted anonymously by MathWorks employees.