MathWorks

MathWorks Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

MathWorks President and CEO Jack Little

Jack Little

Pros
  • Great work life balance for the most part(in 49 reviews)

• Excellent, widely used software, team-based work environment and sustainable growth strategy(in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Work from home" not allowed (the policy states WFH allowed a max of 0-3 days a year(in 20 reviews)

• Annual review process is arcane and out-dated(in 17 reviews)

Relaxing and fun place to work, not a huge challege from the CS side and a bit older culture for a tech company.

CSDG Software Development Intern (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsRelaxed work, 40hr work weeks, lots of activities and ways to get involved, great gym. All of my bosses and the people I worked with while at MathWorks were very nice individuals, lots of respect in the office and people really do seem to care. It has a strong sense of community. Great location for anyone looking to start a family, difficult for younger adults who want to live in down-town Boston. Parking was great on site, lots of opportunities to move up in the company and you can tell they really care about and value their employees.

ConsFood was ok, people don't seem super driven at the company and are sort of complacent in my opinion. The computer science work that I did was not very challenging and most of the work I saw from other engineers did not seem extremely challenging or interesting.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart a new product line, you do simulink and matlab very well, try creating a completely new product/software, you have the resources and stability to try it!

Mathlab

Applications Support Engineer (Current Employee) Natick, MA

ProsGood technical knowledge in the employees

ConsStupid interviews and very less hope.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the interviews better

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at MathWorks.

ProsYou will consistently be on your toes and have good challenging environment. Best part is for a person with Matlab skill it is a perfect place to go

ConsThere are absolutely no cons though some may feel it is less salary

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Really good company to work for if you are looking for a happy go lucky environment

Software Developer (Former Employee) Natick, MA

Pros-Good perks
    -Good senior management
    -Possibly the best work - life balance

Cons-Workforce comprises mainly of seniors

Advice to Senior Management-Start following standard practices for software development

Good place to stay for long time if your personal career value fits

Sales Support (Current Employee)

ProsValue family. Value your experience within the company. Easy to transfer around

ConsBackward business model. Too conservative, afraid of changing

good place to work

Applications Support Engineer (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Prosnew ideas and concepts are being worked on

Conshiring process isn't that good

quality engineer

Quality Engineer (Former Employee) Natick, MA

ProsVery good system to work with

ConsIt is a pure software company.....

Generally above average company with average pay and benefits in the industry.

Marketing (Current Employee) Natick, MA

ProsEveryone generally gets their own office in Natick.

Good perks like wed. breakfast and fri. cookies.

Coworkers are friendly.

Frequent events both during and after hours.

Allowed to drink at work. I see this as a respect thing and couldn't do this at my previous employer.

Schedule is generally flexible, but I can see this depending on your manager.

On-site gym (~$7/month). Brand new facility and classes included in membership fee.

MathWorks products are used by every high tech company. Search the jobs here on Glassdoor for MATLAB or Simulink and see who's using the tools.

CEO uses the same amenities as everyone. Same gym... waits in line for a shower in the locker room (not anymore with the new facility), waits in line for breakfast, for coffee/cappuccino and parks in whatever spot is available in the garage when he's not driving his volt. Installed multiple car chargers so he and other electric vehicle owners can charge.

ConsIndustry is moving towards 'unlimited' vacation. Not sure if this would be a pro or con with the ways it can be implemented.

Base pay generally feels like below average and the quarterly bonus brings it somewhere between average and slightly above average. This means the bonus really isn't a 'bonus' when you consider it a critical part of your pay...

Things feel painfully slow at times in a fast-moving industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome decisions can be better delegated to lower level managers. Everything seems to go to the top which seems wasteful and slow.

Great company to work for.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Natick, MA

ProsFrequently get to work on new technologies and projects. The company culture promotes collaboration and a positive environment. The company also invests in employees by providing excellent technical training.

ConsThere doesn't appear to be a lot of opportunities for advancement. However, since every employee's voice is heard during development, you can contribute greatly without being a manager.

The MathWorks has been a great company to work for.

Quality Engineer (Current Employee) Natick, MA

ProsThere is a wonderful atmosphere, challenging problems, and passionate people.

The company is investing in new offices and facilities in order to ensure a nice, modern working environment. Additionally, the Core Values of The MathWorks help to create an atmosphere of creative, rational, kind, passionate people.

Everyday, we work to improve our software and our understanding of the ways people use our software.

The company is wonderfully diverse in terms of ethnicities, skills, and interests, which helps to foster groups forming for people that share common passions.

ConsAs with any medium to large company, the bureaucracy can occasionally feel like a burden.

Worked for MathWorks? Contribute to the Community!