Mathematica Policy Research

Reset
2.4
Mathematica Policy Research President Paul Decker
Paul Decker

Pros
  • The organization tends to accomodate work/life balance issues very well (in 8 reviews)

• Interesting work from time to time (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Large variation in quality of project directors (in 7 reviews)

• professional development opportunities (in 4 reviews)

A good place for part-time work

Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer and Locator in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer and Locator in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Mathematica Policy Research part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked on and off part-time at the Survey Operations Center for about two years while I looked for full time work in my field. I worked as a telephone survey interviewer, locator and did some clerical work. The surveys topics that I was involved in included health care, food stamps and nutrtion. Pretty interesting work. No selling and no election polling stuff. You also have the flexibility to make your own schedule and the supervisors and managers are willing to work with you if you need to make changes to it. People are friendly. They have monthly birthday parties for staff and a nice holiday party each December.

Cons

Sometimes the people you call are jerks and nasty to you on the phone. But the supervisors train you on how to deal with people like this, and it can be a fun challenge trying to convince them to do the survey. The work is on-call, so if they don't have enough survey projects for you to work on you might get laid off. I was laid off a few times. But if your work is good they will bring you back.

2. Good Place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Mathematica Policy Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to work if you like nerds.

Cons

Sometimes environment can be competitive, but typically collaborative.

Horrible management at SOC

Current Employee - Interviewer in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Interviewer in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Mathematica Policy Research

Pros

Set you own schedule .

Cons

Management is unsupportive and cut throat . Lie to your face about advancement , they will only advance mindless " yes "people , who do not have the experience or people skills needed to fulfill project tasks . The paranoia over job security runs rampant among the numerous supervisors who lack common sense and knowledge or job related functions .

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to clean house in this building again , heard they did a clean sweep of mid level management and supervisors , needs to happen again !

Perhaps the corporate office(s) are great to work for....but the actual survey center? Not so much...

Former Employee - Phone Survey Operator in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Phone Survey Operator in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Mathematica Policy Research part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Free bagels on Wednesday.
    - A weekly paycheck (albeit a small one....).
    - Did I mention free bagels on Wednesday?

Cons

- Even though they state that you can work whatever hours you want, you can't. It's a minimum of four hours, per day. You are given an "availability" sheet to fill out when you first interview with the company. Be careful with this. I indicated a range of days and hours that I'd be available to work, and the next thing I know, I was scheduled to work a 30 hour week....on TOP of my full-time job. When I balked at this, the training supervisor became upset with me. So, I didn't push the issue any further.

- Training. I've never seen a job with such haphazard training. Instead of having all new hires play in a "sandbox" computer area for a week, they are given two days of slideshows one week.....asked to come in the following week for one day of more slideshows, and are then given about 30 minutes to play on a dummy computer, and recite the script to a "phone monitor". The person that I was paired up with, was one of the coldest, rudest people I've ever come across. I later found out that she'd also be my acting supervisor. No thanks! You were then asked to come in and start...more than two weeks AFTERWARDS. No further training. No further coaching. No program to play on at home, while waiting. I think they wanted you to go home and study your material. Again, I have a full-time job. I don't have time to study material for a part-time job....one that really doesn't pay me enough to begin with....

....which brings me to...

- The pay. For what you are expected to do, say, etcetera, the pay is ludicrous. Unless you are bi-lingual, pay starts at $10.10 an hour. Eventually, you can work your way up (after a year or so) to a whopping $12.00 an hour. But per the handbook...that's the cutoff point. You will never make more than that.

I'll be real. This wasn't was I expected. If I want to make $10 an hour, I'll pick up some time at Home Depot. At least I can have fun there.

Advice to Management

If you're going to take yourself so seriously, offer better training and better wages.

For the record....you have some great senior management (at least the ones I've met). The head night shift supervisor, for example, is a doll. It's too bad that you have some monitors and acting supervisors that are so rude.

Level of incompetence and unprofessionalism in management is blatant

Current Employee - Survey Researcher II in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Survey Researcher II in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Mathematica Policy Research full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co workers are encouraging , work is enjoyable.

Cons

Lack of respect for employees , especially at their SOC building . On one of my trips to drop off materials for a training , I was met with one of the survey center managers screaming at an employee , I quickly past them . After I set up materials and was getting ready to leave this same manager went out of her way to make small conversation and get a sense of my reaction . In an effort to change the opinion of her held after witnessing that event . I have met and worked with a number of staff there with different projects throughout the years . Walking through there is morbid the office furniture is old and worn . The tiny cubicles are outdated and depressing . I noticed the excitement at training when the old chairs from one of our training rooms were brought over . The staff there for the training didn't know it was recycled until the supervisor was asked and told them . The room took on a different flavor at that point , paramount to a slap in the face , your not good enough for new furniture .

Advice to Management

Treat all your employees with respect , and perhaps more SUPRISE visits should be paid to the SOC from senior staff HQ . No announcements , just walk in and observe . You will be shocked more often then not, by what you see .

Highly recommended for a focused, independent & responsible individual.

Current Employee - Network Interviewer in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Network Interviewer in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Mathematica Policy Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff is always willing to help. The work is educational, interesting & makes a difference in government policies. Staying focused on tasks and arriving on time is vital to your responsibility as an employee. I highly recommend if you are serious about becoming a long-term member of a reputable company.

Cons

Time can go by slowly, at times can be boring. A job is a job.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye out for committed employees who show potential for promotions/more responsibilities.

Avoid if you can...

Current Employee - Program Analyst in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Program Analyst in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Mathematica Policy Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Every employee, besides secretaries, gets their own office

Cons

1. Worked for this company over 5 years. some of the key points to remember when you work here - discrimination, favoritism - Yes, exists here.

During my employment at Mathematica, I have heard Male project directors cracking racial/offensive JOKES and mean words towards female employees -- Making 'STINKY' environment to work.

You are NOT judged based on your skill-set, experience, or hard-work - but based on your face-value (what a joke !)

3. Their attitude towards everyone is "you're replaceable", they will spend $1,000 to save $10, they make it impossible to move on within the company.

4. Senior research and management staff often ignore emails from junior staff, and it can be hard to get help when you are stuck on something.

5. Incompetent support staff (accounting, IT, secretaries, etc). Not good enough for the 21st century.
    Limited professional development opportunities.

6. Lacks cultural diversity. Definitely missing dynamic, and diverse corporate culture.

7. Some staff lack professionalism. Personal relationships often drive business decisions and staff are treated differently based upon their personal relationships.

8. No career-growth or advancement opportunity for most of the staff.

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Program Analyst in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Program Analyst in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Mathematica Policy Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-intellectual atmosphere
    -collegiality
    -interesting projects
    -good perks (paid time off, 401K, etc)

Cons

-conservative management/division structure
    -difficult to join projects of your interest; often stuck with what you get

Telephone Interviewer

Former Employee - Interviewer in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Interviewer in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Mathematica Policy Research part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Creating your own schedule with minimum and maximum number of hours. The hours run from 9:00-11:00 or later at times, so if you need a flexible schedule this would be a good option. I was in school full time so this worked for me.

Cons

Interviewing people and getting them to do the surveys is really difficult at times.

11. Good Job with interesting Survey topics

Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Mathematica Policy Research part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, great staff, and chance to advance from position.

Cons

Location during rush hour and faster computers are the only thing i can complain about.

RSS Feed </> Embed