Mathematica Policy Research

Updated December 12, 2014
3.7

Mathematica Policy Research President Paul Decker
Paul Decker

Pros
  • The organization tends to accomodate work/life balance issues very well (in 8 reviews)

• Interesting work from time to time (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Large variation in quality of project directors (in 7 reviews)

• Senior research and management staff often ignore emails from junior staff, and it can be hard to get help when you are stuck on something (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Nearly six years and still happy

Current Employee - Health Researcher
    Current Employee - Health Researcher

I have been working at Mathematica Policy Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work, opportunities to move up, can switch the topics you work on when you get bored, work-life balance, strong female leaders (and majority women), team environment, and really smart co-workers. Pay is very good for hours worked.

The values the company has are great, but they're not always followed in reality.

Cons

Project directors run their projects with very little oversight from management so some projects are terribly mismanaged. The plus of work being very independent for each staff member has the downside that the few bad apples get away with not doing their work, being incredibly difficult to work with, and at the senior levels mismanaging.

Level of incompetence and unprofessionalism in management is blatant

Current Employee - Survey Researcher II in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Survey Researcher II in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Mathematica Policy Research full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Co workers are encouraging , work is enjoyable.

Cons

Lack of respect for employees , especially at their SOC building . On one of my trips to drop off materials for a training , I was met with one of the survey center managers screaming at an employee , I quickly past them . After I set up materials and was getting ready to leave this same manager went out of her way to make small conversation and get a sense of my reaction . In an effort to change the opinion of her held after witnessing that event . I have met and worked with a number of staff there with different projects throughout the years . Walking through there is morbid the office furniture is old and worn . The tiny cubicles are outdated and depressing . I noticed the excitement at training when the old chairs from one of our training rooms were brought over . The staff there for the training didn't know it was recycled until the supervisor was asked and told them . The room took on a different flavor at that point , paramount to a slap in the face , your not good enough for new furniture .

Treat all your employees with respect , and perhaps more SUPRISE visits should be paid to the SOC from senior staff HQ . No announcements , just walk in and observe . You will be shocked more often then not, by what you see .

Fantastic company

I have been working at Mathematica Policy Research

Pros

Very friendly staff and the company does great work.

Cons

The bagels they get every Friday could be better.

Poor Management

I have been working at Mathematica Policy Research

Pros

Interesting, important work. They strive to produce quality data. Some very dedicated co workers. Nice offices. Opportunities to publish and present at conferences.

Cons

Poor management. As stated in other reviews, the management is extremely hierarchical. There is a lot of favoritism. New ideas and methods are often viewed with suspicion and sometimes aggressively opposed.
    They tout "One Mathematica " but treat the staff at the Survey Operations Center like second class citizens.

Learn to value your employees. Management is about people not numbers.

very positive

I have been working at Mathematica Policy Research full-time (more than an year)

Pros

company values, career development, collegial research environment

Cons

no cons, had very positive experiences

Highly recommended for a focused, independent & responsible individual.

Current Employee - Network Interviewer in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Network Interviewer in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Mathematica Policy Research full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Staff is always willing to help. The work is educational, interesting & makes a difference in government policies. Staying focused on tasks and arriving on time is vital to your responsibility as an employee. I highly recommend if you are serious about becoming a long-term member of a reputable company.

Cons

Time can go by slowly, at times can be boring. A job is a job.

Keep an eye out for committed employees who show potential for promotions/more responsibilities.

Good Experience

Current Employee - Program Analyst
    Current Employee - Program Analyst

I have been working at Mathematica Policy Research part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Benefits
    -office space, not too big

Cons

-senior staff hard to reach

-Update technology

An innovative, supportive employer who takes their mission of supporting the public good very seriously.

Pros

Very interesting work and supportive atmosphere; many long-tenured employees; strong culture that reinforces the mission of the organization; generous compensation and PTO program; Mathematica is entirely employee owned providing very generous opportunities for retirement; flexibility with workplace and offices in great locations; lots of opportunity for learning new things and taking on research of personal interest.

Cons

You're working among some of the best and brightest in their field...you'd better be able to keep up!

HR does it again!

Current Employee - Research Assistant/Programmer III in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant/Programmer III in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Amazing people, amazing work; positive, supportive, engaging work environment; room to grow and guidance along the way.

Cons

Management plays favorites; HR doesn't follow the rules; hierarchical structure is excessively discussed openly.

Overall very excellent experience

Former Employee - Field Interviewer in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Field Interviewer in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Mathematica Policy Research full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was awesome to work here. The staff were all very supportive the pay was great. The training was superb and gave me all of the information I needed to succeed. Their headquarters in Princeton is absolutely wonderful. Fabulous group of people and overall excellent experience. Loved working for them and would recommend them to anyone.

Cons

The study I worked on was temporary and they had no other studies. Other than that there werent really any downside.