Mather Lifeways

Mather Lifeways Reviews in Evanston, IL

2.3

Mary Leary

4 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Good environment and conditions (Mather Pavilion)

Current Employee - Volunteer in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Volunteer in Evanston, IL

I have been working at Mather Lifeways part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Environment is friendly, not stressful. You feel like you are not pressured to anything, but you still maintain overall productivity.

Cons

I cannot think of any outstanding cons to working here. Perhaps some people would think that a slow paced environment would slow productivity, however such was not the case, I found.

Top-level executives are very arrogant people - especially the CEO!

Former Employee - Middle Management in Evanston, IL

I worked at Mather Lifeways full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company offers a very nice benefits package. Also, the residents in the facility I worked in were very nice people.

Cons

The on-site employees get along very well. But the senior executives are very demanding, very rude, and very disrespectful. Initially I thought it was a great place to work. But as time went on, the heavy-handed management style became too much to deal with.

Many of the people working for you are constantly in fear of losing their jobs, and the high turnover rate has a lot to do with that. But you also need to learn how to listen, and consider that your employees may have some good ideas. Despite your arrogance, you really don;t know everything!

Everyone seemed so nice at first . . . but oh my gosh - how things changed!!!

Former Employee - Middle Management in Evanston, IL

I worked at Mather Lifeways full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, and in general a focus on taking good care of their residents.

Cons

Behind the scenes, this is not a very good place to work. Senior management is primarily made up of arrogant workaholics with no family life who micro-manage every aspect of the organization. HIgh turnover rate.

Stop micro-managing everyone. You are stifling all of the creativity in your employees. Your high rate of employee turnover will decrease dramatically if you'll give up your fear-based, autocratic management style.

Good experience, nice people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

I worked at Mather Lifeways

Pros

It was a good place to work at on a temporary basis. Very nice people and good opportunity to gain valuable experience.

Cons

Communication was poor. My supervisor often forgot direction or decisions that were given or made.

Provide a mini orientation to your contract employees who are there more than a month. A semi regular review or "hey you are doing a great job" would be nice as well.