Mather Lifeways

www.matherlifeways.com

Mather Lifeways Reviews

3.3

Mary Leary

Good environment and conditions (Mather Pavilion)

Current Employee - Volunteer in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Volunteer in Evanston, IL

I have been working at Mather Lifeways part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Environment is friendly, not stressful. You feel like you are not pressured to anything, but you still maintain overall productivity.

Cons

I cannot think of any outstanding cons to working here. Perhaps some people would think that a slow paced environment would slow productivity, however such was not the case, I found.

Top-level executives are very arrogant people - especially the CEO!

Former Employee - Middle Management in Evanston, IL

I worked at Mather Lifeways full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company offers a very nice benefits package. Also, the residents in the facility I worked in were very nice people.

Cons

The on-site employees get along very well. But the senior executives are very demanding, very rude, and very disrespectful. Initially I thought it was a great place to work. But as time went on, the heavy-handed management style became too much to deal with.

Many of the people working for you are constantly in fear of losing their jobs, and the high turnover rate has a lot to do with that. But you also need to learn how to listen, and consider that your employees may have some good ideas. Despite your arrogance, you really don;t know everything!

Best job I've ever had

I have been working at Mather Lifeways full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are many different departments one can work in at MLW. Some are harder than others and some have different management teams that do things differently. It's sad to see the unhappy employees on here. Clearly, they did not try to see about working in another department. Regardless, MLW has amazing benefits, affordable healthcare options, MATCH 100% up to 3% of your 401K, $4,000/yr tuition reimbursement, $100/yr to take a fun class or lesson, free lunch at select locations, ability to be flexible with home life/telecommute options, summer hours, caring managers, fun environment, fair market pay, open door policy, etc.

Cons

The only thing that makes it hard are the raises. They are standard 3% raises, but it makes it hard to move up since the company is still on the smaller side.

I know they mean well, but sometimes employees need straight responses instead of the sugar-coated variety.

Everyone seemed so nice at first . . . but oh my gosh - how things changed!!!

Former Employee - Middle Management in Evanston, IL

I worked at Mather Lifeways full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, and in general a focus on taking good care of their residents.

Cons

Behind the scenes, this is not a very good place to work. Senior management is primarily made up of arrogant workaholics with no family life who micro-manage every aspect of the organization. HIgh turnover rate.

Stop micro-managing everyone. You are stifling all of the creativity in your employees. Your high rate of employee turnover will decrease dramatically if you'll give up your fear-based, autocratic management style.

Good experience, nice people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

I worked at Mather Lifeways

Pros

It was a good place to work at on a temporary basis. Very nice people and good opportunity to gain valuable experience.

Cons

Communication was poor. My supervisor often forgot direction or decisions that were given or made.

Provide a mini orientation to your contract employees who are there more than a month. A semi regular review or "hey you are doing a great job" would be nice as well.

Used to be a great job.

Current Employee - Cook in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Cook in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Mather Lifeways

Pros

good benefits, promote from within, 401k is matched, tuition reimbursement, great residents, christmas bonus, somewhat flexible hours, and a non-taxed christmas bonus based on hours

Cons

Horrible management and promoting within only lasts if you have personal relations with the bosses.

Upper management needs to work on communication with their employees. Rather than work together as a team they become a dictatorship and refuse to change.

Great Place

I have been working at Mather Lifeways full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Genuine people
    Thoughtful of employees
    Good benefits
    Good hours/ Fair scheduling
    Fair pay

Cons

People can sometimes be too ideal thinking.

Great place to work

I worked at Mather Lifeways

Pros

Professional colleagues, great work environment, lots of room for growth, many employee development opportunities, lots of collaboration between departments and levels.

Cons

Long hours, some tension between older and younger employees

Find more ways to connect the mission of the organization to the people working in headquarters. Sometimes the meaning is lost when you can't "see" what you are working towards.