Mather Lifeways Reviews

1. Mather Pavilion

Former Employee - Volunteer
    Former Employee - Volunteer

I worked at Mather Lifeways

Pros

Low stress, nice place to work at for some volunteer/ clinical experience. The activities employees and director I worked with were very dedicated

Cons

Moving residents around from the building was time consuming

2. middle management

Current Employee - Middle Management in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Evanston, IL

I have been working at Mather Lifeways full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I'm proud that I work for Mather LifeWays. We serve older adults and the tone is set at the top by the CEO and top management to strive for excellence and engage older adults in ways that help them achieve what's possible for them. It's a great place to work with nice people, very good benefits and wellness programs, and beautiful workplaces.

Cons

I would like more communication about what is going on at times.

3. Great place to work, nice people

I have been working at Mather Lifeways full-time

Pros

Strong mission, great people. Opportunity to truly make a difference and improve the lives of older adults in a modern setting. Love the benefits.

Cons

People stay a long time so it's difficult to move up into other positions. The company is not that big, but seems to be growing.

5. NPO

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

I have been working at Mather Lifeways

Pros

coworkers keep the company fun and their dedication keep company on top tier. benefits

Cons

President has no human qualities. She should no longer hold meetings because she says one thing and does another.

Advice to Management

Remove Mary Leary as the President.

6. Top-level executives are very arrogant people - especially the CEO!

Former Employee - Middle Management in Evanston, IL

I worked at Mather Lifeways full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company offers a very nice benefits package. Also, the residents in the facility I worked in were very nice people.

Cons

The on-site employees get along very well. But the senior executives are very demanding, very rude, and very disrespectful. Initially I thought it was a great place to work. But as time went on, the heavy-handed management style became too much to deal with.

Advice to Management

Many of the people working for you are constantly in fear of losing their jobs, and the high turnover rate has a lot to do with that. But you also need to learn how to listen, and consider that your employees may have some good ideas. Despite your arrogance, you really don;t know everything!

7. Good environment and conditions (Mather Pavilion)

Current Employee - Volunteer in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Volunteer in Evanston, IL

I have been working at Mather Lifeways part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Environment is friendly, not stressful. You feel like you are not pressured to anything, but you still maintain overall productivity.

Cons

I cannot think of any outstanding cons to working here. Perhaps some people would think that a slow paced environment would slow productivity, however such was not the case, I found.

Best job I've ever had

I have been working at Mather Lifeways full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are many different departments one can work in at MLW. Some are harder than others and some have different management teams that do things differently. It's sad to see the unhappy employees on here. Clearly, they did not try to see about working in another department. Regardless, MLW has amazing benefits, affordable healthcare options, MATCH 100% up to 3% of your 401K, $4,000/yr tuition reimbursement, $100/yr to take a fun class or lesson, free lunch at select locations, ability to be flexible with home life/telecommute options, summer hours, caring managers, fun environment, fair market pay, open door policy, etc.

Cons

The only thing that makes it hard are the raises. They are standard 3% raises, but it makes it hard to move up since the company is still on the smaller side.

Advice to Management

I know they mean well, but sometimes employees need straight responses instead of the sugar-coated variety.

Everyone seemed so nice at first . . . but oh my gosh - how things changed!!!

Former Employee - Middle Management in Evanston, IL

I worked at Mather Lifeways full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, and in general a focus on taking good care of their residents.

Cons

Behind the scenes, this is not a very good place to work. Senior management is primarily made up of arrogant workaholics with no family life who micro-manage every aspect of the organization. HIgh turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Stop micro-managing everyone. You are stifling all of the creativity in your employees. Your high rate of employee turnover will decrease dramatically if you'll give up your fear-based, autocratic management style.

10. Good experience, nice people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

I worked at Mather Lifeways

Pros

It was a good place to work at on a temporary basis. Very nice people and good opportunity to gain valuable experience.

Cons

Communication was poor. My supervisor often forgot direction or decisions that were given or made.

Advice to Management

Provide a mini orientation to your contract employees who are there more than a month. A semi regular review or "hey you are doing a great job" would be nice as well.

11. Used to be a great job.

Current Employee - Cook in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Cook in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Mather Lifeways

Pros

good benefits, promote from within, 401k is matched, tuition reimbursement, great residents, christmas bonus, somewhat flexible hours, and a non-taxed christmas bonus based on hours

Cons

Horrible management and promoting within only lasts if you have personal relations with the bosses.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to work on communication with their employees. Rather than work together as a team they become a dictatorship and refuse to change.

RSS Feed </> Embed