Mather Memorial Hospital

Ken Roberts

1. Mather Culture

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Mather Memorial Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Mather has many long-term employees and enjoys a stellar reputation in the community. I hear all the time, "Take me to Mather."

Cons

Because of long term employees, some do not realize how good (but not perfect) the culture is compared to other NY hospitals. I have worked at three others, and by far Mather is the best.

Advice to Management

Spend more time listening to staff. If if you can't implement all their suggestions, tell them why.

2. Best Hospital

Current Employee - Ekg Technician in Coram, NY
    Current Employee - Ekg Technician in Coram, NY

I have been working at Mather Memorial Hospital (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing co workers, definitely a team

Cons

no cons at this time

3. Career Voyage to Nowhere

I have been working at Mather Memorial Hospital full-time

Pros

Close to home. Work here to build up your resume and then move on.

Cons

For a company that takes pride in it's "Voyage to Excellence" and striving to be the " Best "Community Hospital in New York State" they take little interest in staff development and retaining employees. Management operates be intimidation and popularity contests. You literally have to be related to someone to get ahead. If you're looking for a place to work hard and be valued as an employee, Mather is not it. They will expect you to work hard, but you will not be valued unless you're someone's relative.

Advice to Management

Remember the pillar for People pertains to staff as well as patients.

5. Operations Management

I worked at Mather Memorial Hospital (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice group of people to work with. Benefits are good.

Cons

Salaries on the low side, depends on the department you work for as well. Not much room for growth

6. Nursing management treats their staff atrociously

Current Employee - CNA
    Current Employee - CNA

I have been working at Mather Memorial Hospital part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They will do nothing to help you if you're out in a medical leave and return to work to find your position posted and nothing else offered to you, I went from a full time employee of 6 years to a part time shift of 15 hours a week and nurse recruitment has done nothing to help me, not to mention the fact that they are supposed to offer me a full time position, again Mather is a disappointment to its employees.

Cons

Left short on units very often and when you call staffing for help you're told to "grin and bear it" very unprofessional and dangerous for patients and staff

Advice to Management

Treat you're staff the way human beings deserve to be treated

Changing for the better, but still need work

Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse
    Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse

I have been working at Mather Memorial Hospital full-time

Pros

close to home, enjoy co workers as family, Interesting to see all the changes that have happened over the past 6 years interested to see what sticks. Descent insurance...it has just changed this year. Pensions were finally unfrozen. I am satisfied with pay, but others who have left said they were offered more by other systems.

Cons

promotions are based on "likability" and favoritism rather than merit or education. If you fit the mold they are trying to put forth your "in" if not your out. Still seeing high turnover rates with new young BSN's. Lots of cleaning house, and you never know if your the target. We bast no lay offs but plenty of people were let go this year, or forced into resigning.

Advice to Management

Many educated and good workers are passed up for mobility and bubbly fakers and "yes men" are promoted. They are headed in the right direction, but the future will not be ushered in by the dinosaurs that have been running the place for 20+ years. Time for fresh, new, young, educated and driven management. They are still trying to solve the problems with an in the box mentality. I don't see them truly going to the next level until most upper management is replaced with fresh blood. There is an internal struggle between staff nurses and management, but to keep that magnet status management needs to change, front line staff already has it was out with the old and in with the new, now management needs to do the same.

Former Employee - Patient Access
    Former Employee - Patient Access

Pros

The Hospital has a good reputation and is clean and organized.

Cons

This Hospital loves to fire people for no reason (I didnt get fired). However, because they are non union they can do whatever they like…and they do. Before I began working there I was warned how terrible of a company it is to work for and not to do it but I didnt listen and now I can honestly say it was awful! The management was phony and aggressive. Try somewhere else in the area, this is not the best hospital to work for.

Food service

Current Employee - Food Service Aide in Port Jefferson, NY
    Current Employee - Food Service Aide in Port Jefferson, NY

I have been working at Mather Memorial Hospital part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Money is good Flexible with the hours they give Good for college students You can stay there for years and change hours all the time. Close to down port Very involved in the community

Cons

The job atmosphere is stressful. There is an unfair workload and they keep loading more on. You are not allowed facial hair and if you do they make shave with a prep razor. You bleed like a pig

Advice to Management

You need new management

10. Good experience

Current Employee - Social Worker in Port Jefferson, NY
    Current Employee - Social Worker in Port Jefferson, NY

I have been working at Mather Memorial Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great staff, great benefits/vacation, they hire their interns, input from workers is encouraged via "bright ideas," looking to expand and improve the hospital.

Cons

Health care is not going in a good direction in general with new Medicare guidelines, so that makes the job challenging, Flu shot is required, however, this is not hospital specific. The case load can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Pretty satisfied

11. Building a culture around the patient experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Jefferson, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Jefferson, NY

I have been working at Mather Memorial Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The coworkers treat eachother like family. Great benefits including tuition reimbursement and little to no cost for healthcare. Mather is the best community hospital in New York state.

Cons

Some older employees are resistant to change.

RSS Feed </> Embed