Mather Memorial Hospital

Ken Roberts

Good experience

Current Employee - Social Worker  in  Port Jefferson, NY
    Current Employee - Social Worker in Port Jefferson, NY

Pros

Great staff, great benefits/vacation, they hire their interns, input from workers is encouraged via "bright ideas," looking to expand and improve the hospital.

Cons

Health care is not going in a good direction in general with new Medicare guidelines, so that makes the job challenging, Flu shot is required, however, this is not hospital specific.
    The case load can be challenging.

Pretty satisfied

Building a culture around the patient experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Port Jefferson, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Jefferson, NY

Pros

The coworkers treat eachother like family. Great benefits including tuition reimbursement and little to no cost for healthcare. Mather is the best community hospital in New York state.

Cons

Some older employees are resistant to change.

Positive experience working at Mather

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Port Jefferson, NY
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Port Jefferson, NY

Pros

Many Changes, Magnet Status, High seniority of nursing staff

Cons

Way to many changes at mather.

You have a really great staff

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to start

Current Employee - Clerk/Registrar/Intake  in  Port Jefferson, NY
    Current Employee - Clerk/Registrar/Intake in Port Jefferson, NY

Pros

- Health benefits for part time workers (albeit expensive as health insurance is)
    - Generally work around school schedule if your a student
    - New positions open to in house people first
    - Cafeteria food for breakfast lunch and dinner is both inexpensive and pretty good
    - Good paying jobs even if you don't possess a college degree for non-clinical jobs
    - They have a self insured option which is pretty good
    - Employees are encouraged to interview those who apply for jobs that they would be working with

Cons

- Some departments are 'cliquish' so if your not in your out
    - Supervisors can be rather rude and cliquish themselves
    - Always get harped on about productivity with a demand to raise it and make no mistakes, if you do you get berated
    - Supervisors will tell you that your abusing your sick time when you take off for being sick or for surgery, example which I've heard many times, employees being out for 6 weeks due to heavy surgery coming in for their review and being told they abused their sick time and need to stop. You can even be told you are abusing your sick time when you've only used 20 hours in the year.
    - Insurance companies are always trying to get out of paying which makes insurance jobs and registration jobs difficult (they do try to provide training to keep you up to date)
    - Cell phones are not allowed which in of itself is fine, but supervisors will openly use theirs to show off pictures or watch youtube videos then fire you for doing the same thing.
    - Many layers of management
    - Management tells employees who do peer review that "No one should recieve 5 stars for anything, as that means they have no room for improvement, which is impossible, no one is perfect at anything so the most you can give anyone is 4 stars"

Even though patient satisfaction is up and we are being perceived in a better manner because we are changing the way in which we treat and ask for feedback, it should also follow over to direct supervision and our core mission a bit more. While part of our core mission is to make the hospital the best place to work, being told you abuse sick time after coming back from something like an appendectomy is not cool.
    Telling people they are doing a good job is always nice to hear, but not when it is followed by a but...that sort of makes it moot.

Rewarding, challenging, frustrating not necessarily in that order.

Current Employee - Applications Analyst  in  Port Jefferson Station, NY
    Current Employee - Applications Analyst in Port Jefferson Station, NY

Pros

Close to home, pretty good benefits.

Cons

The "Voyage to Excellence" brainwashing scheme.

You need to stop telling us what to believe and how to lives our lives through daily line-ups and the like. You are wasting our time when we could be working. Your efforts are antagonistic. I just want to get my work done without having your philosophy shoved down my throat.

Waste management

Current Employee - Mechanic
    Current Employee - Mechanic

Pros

Close to home and direct supervisors great to work with.

Cons

I feel verry much that I am taken advantage of for the work that I do and how little I am paid.
    If there wasn't just sooo much waste in my department I could make a decent salary.
    But instead there are people just sitting around doing NOTHING and making even more money than I do. If i am doing there work just let them go and give more to the people who work hard for it. This made me so frustrated Today that I had to vent this out.

Do the right thing for your employees. Pay the salary they deserve for the work they perform.
    There has to be a better system for pay scale rather than number of years on the job.

Rewarding experience that has helped me grow personally and professionally.

Pros

The culture at Mather is about communication, openness and recognition for a job well done. Leadership supports continued personal and professional growth and achievable challenges. It's never, ever boring!

Cons

While overtime is nice, it would be great if it was easier to be a salaried employee.

Keep striving forward!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Business Dept, Outpatient, Breast Center
    Current Employee - Business Dept, Outpatient, Breast Center

Pros

Friendly work environment and excellent benefits. Opportunity for job advancement . Professional training and growth opportunities. Excellent benefits, pay vacation, Medical & Dental Insurance, retirement, paid schooling. Good food. Finding the cure.

Cons

Main Hospital- parking, small pay raises, Slow on weekends zzzzzzz..... A lot of walking. Outpatient & Breast Center no complaints!

Pretty good management never had any problems personally. Could have better communication of job responsibilities, opportunities, and possibilities to employees.

Worked for Mather Memorial Hospital? Contribute to the Community!