Matheson Tri-Gas

Scott Kallman

Review of Matheson

Former Employee - Tax Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Former Employee - Tax Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ

I worked at Matheson Tri-Gas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loved my boss, and several co-workers.

Cons

Limited or non-existent system applications. Historical information is poor.

Speak to all of the workers, not just upper management.

Stay Away

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Matheson Tri-Gas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some people you work with will be nice people, however I would advise you to watch your back. There will be those willing to place a knife in it, because it has become company policy to pass the buck and the blame when anything goes wrong.

Cons

Compensation is below standard. They don't listen to the people that make them the money and do all the work. Be careful what ideas you give some people; they steal them at times to look good. Management has no clue what their doing. Training is constant and done for the purpose of terminating people if you make a mistake. Customer service is secondary always to hundreds of rules imposed by policy.

You desperately need people persons in management, not dictators. Pay your knowledgeable people well, they are your bottom line. Hire more people to do the work; you have spread them too thin to save a buck.

Poorly managed from the top down and polluted with "yes" people.

I worked at Matheson Tri-Gas full-time

Pros

The work-life balance was great. Highly experienced work force, some employees with thirty or more years at the company.

Cons

Despite having knowledge of severe internal issues, reactive management allows branch locations to spiral out of control.
    Safety preached as a point of emphasis, however commitment to ensure safety was not consistently exercised and mostly reactive.

The most valuable assets this company has are the employees with decades of experience, don't waste those resources.

Horrible Salisbury MD location

Former Employee - Driver in Salisbury, MD
    Former Employee - Driver in Salisbury, MD

I worked at Matheson Tri-Gas full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

NOTHING to say about this location

Cons

Horibble company. They lie so much in store management. The values suck. Would not wish this job to my worst enemy. They promise you stuff and do not go through with it. Store manager is a LIER. I would have to also say that I am good friends with people that still work there and advise them to get another job becuase you will be alot happier.

Get another job.

Lots of policies and procedures that are only adhered to when wanting to hold someone accountable or dispose of someone.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Matheson Tri-Gas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company is stable and looks out for the employee when writing policies and procedures. They pay well and have a chance for advancement.

Cons

Management does not adhere to all policies and procedures. They choose to look over things unless they want to hold you accountable. Then they punish one employee while letting another employee get by unscathed for the same situation.

Make sure that all of your management get on the same page as your policies and procedures. This system only works if everyone is on the same page.

Matheson ruined a profitable business

I worked at Matheson Tri-Gas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits were good. Pay was fair, higher than some other places. Good people to work with.

Cons

Too much safety BS, Safety more important than customers. Too many conference calls and the outside sales force is micromanaged excessively.
    Quick to shift blame to someone else for accidents. Management too concerned about losing their bonus $$ if the don't achieve their safety goals. Accounts Receivable department is incompetent.

Matheson destroyed the company that they purchased

Get involved with your people. Get off the conference calls. Stop blaming others when something like an accident happens,

Under Cover Boss

Current Employee - Cylinder Shipper in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Cylinder Shipper in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Matheson Tri-Gas full-time

Pros

Great benifets. Good hours. Nice trucks Good plant manager trying to change things for the better.

Cons

Each department has its own agenda; departments don’t cooperate to help other departments get the job done. Huge issue when loading for delivery's

• The dispatcher of the this branch is protecting herself even before helping to achieve the organization’s mission

• There is political in-fighting, with people striving for personal advancement and power.

• Ideas can be killed because they come from the "wrong" person. Ideas will be supported because they are advanced by the "right" person.

• People in their own department spend much of their time protecting their department’s "turf." Hence the extreme Uncomfortable feeling around the fillers and a very negitive attitude of those in charge of getting your cylinders filled. Just leave me alone or stay away from me is the extreme treatment you encounter on a daily basis.

• People in other departments spend so much time protecting their "turf" that they don’t have time to do the work they are responsible to do or help other departments.

• I was treated as though i can’t be trusted after my injury---> .Zero Tolerance for mistakes of any kind very Unrealistic.(Generates fear)

• I was treated as though i didn't have good judgment

• I was rushed to get out of the yard. every day But keep that hush hush Safety first!.

• The work environment included large amounts of unhealthy stress and fear of mistakes. Fear and intimidation of job loss Are large factors that run unchecked. The Organization is top-heavy, while the operating units of the organization tend to be too lean.

• Promotions and raises are more likely to be made on the basis of politics, rather than actual achievements on the job. What was offered to me in my interview after 90 days never happened?

• Top managers are dangerously ill-informed from what is happening on the front lines or in "the field • Internal communications to employees is distorted to reflect what the organization would like to be, rather than what it really is.

• Responsibility for mistakes and failure tends to be denied, and where possible, blame is shifted to others (redirected). Which in my case showed me that its all about CYA thats very sad.• Policies, practices and procedures tend to grow endlessly and to be followed more and more rigidly which generates fear to frontline employees. In closing i will say these are some of the reasons for the high turnover rate but not all. The Bureaucracy" is damaging to this organizations effectiveness. It weakens employee morale and commitment. It divides people within this organization against each other, and misdirects their energy into conflict or competition with each other instead of the mission

Ask frontline employees what is really going on....Get in under cover

Good Company, Good People, Moving in Right Direction

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Matheson Tri-Gas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Benefits and Competitive Base. Solid Commission Plan as long as you are over Goal. Our CEO is focused on supporting the Sales Force!

Cons

Needs to hire more people, a little stretched thin. More paperwork then would like.

More support for Site Managers. Focus more Capital to Advertising.

look for work elsewhere

Current Employee - Customer Service in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Matheson Tri-Gas full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great health benefits. so-so 401k matching

Cons

The company only cares about growing the business through aquisitions. The company is not customer focused nor employee conscious.

In southern California all the quality employees who cared about customers left to go back to work for their former owner. The remaining management can only stand by and watch their customer base dwindle away with no clear understanding of the root cause. While they are scratching their heads I am sure they will win every safety award in the industry. Way to go! Now that's success.

Sale the industrial packaged division to Airgas. The poor service on the industrial is giving the electronics and bulk division a bad name in the industry.

Full time employee

Former Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Matheson Tri-Gas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, decent pay, overtime pay available, publicly traded strong portfolio company, aggressive sales force Monday through Friday paid holidays

Cons

Rarely promote within. Have people in charge that have a lack of respect and care for employees below them. Management in charge of employees that have no clue of the employees work load or experience. Ticket operating system is a joke. Lack of training for a lot of positions. You are asked all the time to speak up if you see ways the company can improve quality and safety and when you do your shot down like your a coward. High high turnover rate attrition rate for front line employees.

Stop favoring kiss asses. Stop looking down on employees who just might have more experience then you. Stop rewarding the bottom dollar over safety. The company would never admit that but it's so true it's a joke so they overkill the safety meetings, conference calls, etc to hide the fact.

Matheson Tri-Gas Photos