Matheson Tri-Gas

www.mathesongas.com

Matheson Tri-Gas Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Scott Kallman

Matheson ruined a profitable business

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits were good. Pay was fair, higher than some other places. Good people to work with.

ConsToo much safety BS, Safety more important than customers. Too many conference calls and the outside sales force is micromanaged excessively.
    Quick to shift blame to someone else for accidents. Management too concerned about losing their bonus $$ if the don't achieve their safety goals. Accounts Receivable department is incompetent.

Matheson destroyed the company that they purchased

Advice to Senior ManagementGet involved with your people. Get off the conference calls. Stop blaming others when something like an accident happens,

Very disrespectful, threatening enviroment

Planner (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsGood use of technology; company growing and adding new accounts

ConsManagement needs to take several courses in employee relations and motivation. Very much a zero tolerance environment where mistakes of any kind, even minor ones, are not tolerated. Result-- zero employee engagement. People just do their jobs and that is it. No one wants to move up in this company. If you want a paycheck this is a good job for it, but be ready for a pressure-cooker environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell you middle and lower management to back off an actually help the people around and under them. Quit the predatory management approach and don't play employees and departments off against each other. Show some respect to your people. Become leaders instead of managers/drill sergents.

There is not one good thing about working for this company.

ProsI do not know one person who is happy here. I have no good things to say about the company or management. The only pros are that I am surrounded by good people who work hard but do not get the respect they deserve.

ConsThey do not believe in giving raises or promotions. The managers are so inappropriate and sexist - but there is no HR to turn to. The sales force has not gotten paid their commission in over 3 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Looking for another job

ProsPay is fair, benefits are good, Steady work

ConsMicromanagement, Absurd tool kit meetings all the time, Way overboard on safety meetings, Terrible customer service, Its Management against hourly workers. Treated with disrespect and threatening manner by management. That's just 10% of the list.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees with respect and dignity. There are some of us there who have been there many years, know what we are doing, are doing above and beyond and deserve better then what this company is doing to us. Moral is bad. half the employees are looking for other jobs.

In need of a job? Go elsewhere.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Waverly, TN

ProsDental and Medical are good. Vacations are good. Hourly employees/supervisors/lower managers are all very good.

ConsToo many to list, but I will hit the important ones.
    The COO on down to some of the directors are basically the worst collection of "leaders" I have ever seen. I am still not convinced they are just holding out to sell that part of the business. In order to hire an hourly employee, the COO must aprove of it beforehand. Extreme micromanagement. Everything must be run up to the COO before going forward.

The engineering department is horrible. They could not design themselves out of a brown paper bag. The only sad part is that the chemicals and substances they are dealing with will kill in a second. I have no doubt in my mind that someone will get hurt if they continue to run and design things like they are.
    Anyone that could has left the company or is in the process of leaving the company.
    Watch what is promised in the job offer. A lot of what was spoken, did not come true.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves. or sell the company. The rest of the industry already knows how bad you are (as a lot of former employees now work in other businesses) and they will fire you.

before being bought out by Matheson excellent! after being bought out very poor!!!

Driver/Inside Sales (Current Employee)

Prosbenifits are comparable. able to work at own pace for my position. Location and personnel i work with are excellent!

Consvery concerned with profit, which is understandable...to many unnecessary charges to customer ie; hazmat charges, transportation and production charge, and delivery charge. unconcerned with the smaller/small town customer. Way to many safety requirements that make doing the job more stressful and cumbersome!

Advice to Senior ManagementSafety first yes! implementing unrealistic requirements that upper management does not have to deal with to complete the mission is making me looking for another job myself! Lookat the small customer paying all those charges, should be dealt with on an individual basis, they all cant afford it. The first line sales person hears about it daily!!!! Kroll needs to retire,and quit worry about making is million dollsar paycheck while the worker bees make peannuts!!!!!

Terrible Company to work for

ProsCompany benefits would be it

ConsALL ASPECTS OF H0W THEY RUN BUSINESS

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to get a clue

Under Cover Boss

Cylinder Shipper (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat benifets. Good hours. Nice trucks Good plant manager trying to change things for the better.

ConsEach department has its own agenda; departments don’t cooperate to help other departments get the job done. Huge issue when loading for delivery's

• The dispatcher of the this branch is protecting herself even before helping to achieve the organization’s mission

• There is political in-fighting, with people striving for personal advancement and power.

• Ideas can be killed because they come from the "wrong" person. Ideas will be supported because they are advanced by the "right" person.

• People in their own department spend much of their time protecting their department’s "turf." Hence the extreme Uncomfortable feeling around the fillers and a very negitive attitude of those in charge of getting your cylinders filled. Just leave me alone or stay away from me is the extreme treatment you encounter on a daily basis.

• People in other departments spend so much time protecting their "turf" that they don’t have time to do the work they are responsible to do or help other departments.

• I was treated as though i can’t be trusted after my injury---> .Zero Tolerance for mistakes of any kind very Unrealistic.(Generates fear)

• I was treated as though i didn't have good judgment

• I was rushed to get out of the yard. every day But keep that hush hush Safety first!.

• The work environment included large amounts of unhealthy stress and fear of mistakes. Fear and intimidation of job loss Are large factors that run unchecked. The Organization is top-heavy, while the operating units of the organization tend to be too lean.

• Promotions and raises are more likely to be made on the basis of politics, rather than actual achievements on the job. What was offered to me in my interview after 90 days never happened?

• Top managers are dangerously ill-informed from what is happening on the front lines or in "the field • Internal communications to employees is distorted to reflect what the organization would like to be, rather than what it really is.

• Responsibility for mistakes and failure tends to be denied, and where possible, blame is shifted to others (redirected). Which in my case showed me that its all about CYA thats very sad.• Policies, practices and procedures tend to grow endlessly and to be followed more and more rigidly which generates fear to frontline employees. In closing i will say these are some of the reasons for the high turnover rate but not all. The Bureaucracy" is damaging to this organizations effectiveness. It weakens employee morale and commitment. It divides people within this organization against each other, and misdirects their energy into conflict or competition with each other instead of the mission

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk frontline employees what is really going on....Get in under cover

look for work elsewhere

Customer Service (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat health benefits. so-so 401k matching

ConsThe company only cares about growing the business through aquisitions. The company is not customer focused nor employee conscious.

In southern California all the quality employees who cared about customers left to go back to work for their former owner. The remaining management can only stand by and watch their customer base dwindle away with no clear understanding of the root cause. While they are scratching their heads I am sure they will win every safety award in the industry. Way to go! Now that's success.

Advice to Senior ManagementSale the industrial packaged division to Airgas. The poor service on the industrial is giving the electronics and bulk division a bad name in the industry.

Job in Industrial, Medical, Specialty Semiconductor Gases Industry

ProsAbility to wear multiple hats.

ConsCompany never provides incentives, rewards, salary raises, sizable bonuses, and is cheap on training. You will only receive at best cost of living raises which means you drift along making less and less than your peers that work at some of the better run companies. They are chasing the bar set by their competitors. The management needs to be accountable, too often managers will throw their employees under the bus to save their own hide.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should support their employees and provide clear job goals. Managers should be competent people with people skills.

Worked for Matheson Tri-Gas? Contribute to the Community!