Matheson Tri-Gas

Matheson Tri-Gas Reviews

Updated Jun 18, 2014

Scott Kallman

Under Cover Boss

Cylinder Shipper (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat benifets. Good hours. Nice trucks Good plant manager trying to change things for the better.

ConsEach department has its own agenda; departments don’t cooperate to help other departments get the job done. Huge issue when loading for delivery's

• The dispatcher of the this branch is protecting herself even before helping to achieve the organization’s mission

• There is political in-fighting, with people striving for personal advancement and power.

• Ideas can be killed because they come from the "wrong" person. Ideas will be supported because they are advanced by the "right" person.

• People in their own department spend much of their time protecting their department’s "turf." Hence the extreme Uncomfortable feeling around the fillers and a very negitive attitude of those in charge of getting your cylinders filled. Just leave me alone or stay away from me is the extreme treatment you encounter on a daily basis.

• People in other departments spend so much time protecting their "turf" that they don’t have time to do the work they are responsible to do or help other departments.

• I was treated as though i can’t be trusted after my injury---> .Zero Tolerance for mistakes of any kind very Unrealistic.(Generates fear)

• I was treated as though i didn't have good judgment

• I was rushed to get out of the yard. every day But keep that hush hush Safety first!.

• The work environment included large amounts of unhealthy stress and fear of mistakes. Fear and intimidation of job loss Are large factors that run unchecked. The Organization is top-heavy, while the operating units of the organization tend to be too lean.

• Promotions and raises are more likely to be made on the basis of politics, rather than actual achievements on the job. What was offered to me in my interview after 90 days never happened?

• Top managers are dangerously ill-informed from what is happening on the front lines or in "the field • Internal communications to employees is distorted to reflect what the organization would like to be, rather than what it really is.

• Responsibility for mistakes and failure tends to be denied, and where possible, blame is shifted to others (redirected). Which in my case showed me that its all about CYA thats very sad.• Policies, practices and procedures tend to grow endlessly and to be followed more and more rigidly which generates fear to frontline employees. In closing i will say these are some of the reasons for the high turnover rate but not all. The Bureaucracy" is damaging to this organizations effectiveness. It weakens employee morale and commitment. It divides people within this organization against each other, and misdirects their energy into conflict or competition with each other instead of the mission

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk frontline employees what is really going on....Get in under cover

look for work elsewhere

Customer Service (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat health benefits. so-so 401k matching

ConsThe company only cares about growing the business through aquisitions. The company is not customer focused nor employee conscious.

In southern California all the quality employees who cared about customers left to go back to work for their former owner. The remaining management can only stand by and watch their customer base dwindle away with no clear understanding of the root cause. While they are scratching their heads I am sure they will win every safety award in the industry. Way to go! Now that's success.

Advice to Senior ManagementSale the industrial packaged division to Airgas. The poor service on the industrial is giving the electronics and bulk division a bad name in the industry.

Good Company, Good People, Moving in Right Direction

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsGreat Benefits and Competitive Base. Solid Commission Plan as long as you are over Goal. Our CEO is focused on supporting the Sales Force!

ConsNeeds to hire more people, a little stretched thin. More paperwork then would like.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore support for Site Managers. Focus more Capital to Advertising.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very disrespectful, threatening enviroment

Planner (Former Employee)
    Irving, TX

ProsGood use of technology; company growing and adding new accounts

ConsManagement needs to take several courses in employee relations and motivation. Very much a zero tolerance environment where mistakes of any kind, even minor ones, are not tolerated. Result-- zero employee engagement. People just do their jobs and that is it. No one wants to move up in this company. If you want a paycheck this is a good job for it, but be ready for a pressure-cooker environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell you middle and lower management to back off an actually help the people around and under them. Quit the predatory management approach and don't play employees and departments off against each other. Show some respect to your people. Become leaders instead of managers/drill sergents.

Job in Industrial, Medical, Specialty Semiconductor Gases Industry

ProsAbility to wear multiple hats.

ConsCompany never provides incentives, rewards, salary raises, sizable bonuses, and is cheap on training. You will only receive at best cost of living raises which means you drift along making less and less than your peers that work at some of the better run companies. They are chasing the bar set by their competitors. The management needs to be accountable, too often managers will throw their employees under the bus to save their own hide.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should support their employees and provide clear job goals. Managers should be competent people with people skills.

Full time employee

Sales (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood benefits, decent pay, overtime pay available, publicly traded strong portfolio company, aggressive sales force Monday through Friday paid holidays

ConsRarely promote within. Have people in charge that have a lack of respect and care for employees below them. Management in charge of employees that have no clue of the employees work load or experience. Ticket operating system is a joke. Lack of training for a lot of positions. You are asked all the time to speak up if you see ways the company can improve quality and safety and when you do your shot down like your a coward. High high turnover rate attrition rate for front line employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop favoring kiss asses. Stop looking down on employees who just might have more experience then you. Stop rewarding the bottom dollar over safety. The company would never admit that but it's so true it's a joke so they overkill the safety meetings, conference calls, etc to hide the fact.

Site Manager

Site Manager (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsScott Kallman and his Management Team has a clear vision of how to grow the business, and what it is going to take to get to that number one spot in the world as a gas supplier. The most important thing that the company promotes is a Safety culture that I have not seen at any other gas supplier in the business. The benefit's are some of the best that you will find anywhere. You get what you give, (Hard work equals great rewards ) Matheson Tri Gas cares about their internal customers as much as their external customers.

ConsVery long process to replace out going employees. With that being said they also want to make sure that the new incoming employees are a great fit for the hiring position. This process takes time and is very costly.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work and continue to train and support your teams.

Great benefits. Comparable pay with competitors.

Operations (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsBenefits are nice and most of the fellow employees are good to work with.

ConsIt seems to take a while to replace folks who leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people in order to replace the knowledge of baby boomers who are retiring.

It was okay. Management did not work 'with' employees; not much support

Account Manager (Former Employee)
    Santa Rosa, CA

ProsGreat people to work with.

ConsManagement was not supportive at all. Given a list of accounts and told build on it; no follow-through to see what if anything was being accomplished. Then criticized when other departments didn't complete their tasks or business was lost.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your employees; give them feedback in a constructive manner. Work 'with' not against. Be clear about objectives and when asked for help, give it.

There is not one good thing about working for this company.

ProsI do not know one person who is happy here. I have no good things to say about the company or management. The only pros are that I am surrounded by good people who work hard but do not get the respect they deserve.

ConsThey do not believe in giving raises or promotions. The managers are so inappropriate and sexist - but there is no HR to turn to. The sales force has not gotten paid their commission in over 3 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better.

Worked for Matheson Tri-Gas? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Matheson Tri-Gas reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Matheson Tri-Gas CEO Scott Kallman . All 33 reviews posted anonymously by Matheson Tri-Gas employees.