Mathis Brothers Furniture

Be The First To
Add Photos

Larry Mathis

Mathis sales team

ProsTransparent expectations. You know up front what is expected from you. Commission based sales environment so there is no cap on how much you can sell.

ConsThere are many that come to the business and expect it to be easy.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep learning and growing. Great place to work in this economy. The owners genuinely care about the company and operate with both hands on the wheel.

blah

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay is good if your good at selling.

Consno work life balance/ power struggle

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Tulsa, OK

ProsMathis Brothers treats their employes very well.

ConsHours are harsh and are no conducive to family life. There is a lot of down time and you do not feel fulfilled.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice job if all you care about are paychecks

Tulsa, OK

ProsThe pay is nice. As a sales associates you're 100% commission so it's much like running your own personal business. By that I mean you can make as much many as you want to if you're willing to work. I know sales associates there that make 6 figures a year. It's not easy at all to do but it is doable. On the flip side I know other sales associates who don't make half that much a year. So again it's all about how much time and effort you're willing to put in. Working with customers of all kinds is challenging but rewarding as well. It stretches you and definitely helped develop my communication skills.

ConsVery uneven work/life balance! You're expected to work and work a lot! That means even coming in on your days off sometimes and especially during the weekends. Looked down upon if you don't make Mathis your life. Some of the team managers as well are very pushy as far as working as much as possible (even on your days off) especially if you haven't yet hit the monthly quota. 100% commission can also be stressful at times where not selling anything on any particular day means you just worked a whole long tiring day for free.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the employees more and the fact that they have lives OUTSIDE of Mathis. Sales associates satisfaction with their work has a direct affect on their work and their ability to sell and as a result getting their team managers paid more and making the company more money. A more satisfied employee will typically work harder for their employers than one who is burned out and overall unsatisfied.

If you want job security, don't be apart of the sales team!

Ontario, CA

ProsSome of the employees are cool to work with. A lot of downtime for the most part, which means it isn't hard to get lunch time. I worked in the rug department and sometimes selling a rug came easily.

ConsThe base pay is minimum wage, so if you want to make decent money, you better be able to sell. You are expected to have $37,500 delivered. The worst part was that the rug manager was not honest with me when I started the job. I was told the company gives employees 3 months to make their quotas, when in fact they will fire you if don't make your quota after one month. I confronted him about this during my exit interview and he remained quite. The HR manager told me it all depends on the store you work at.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt doesn't look well on you when you lie to your employees about how much time you give them to make their quotas.

Good and bad

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Ontario, CA

Prosexcellent health plan and 401k, meet long lasting friends, I met my wife at mathis bros, and you meet a higher class of people

ConsLong hours, work every weekend and most holidays, no job security they will fire you in an instant, onesided management mentality, showroom very large wears down your body, you will never lead a life outside of mathis bros they consume you, low commission structure

Advice to Senior Managementrotate weekends, split up floor, have a third person sales person handle disputes one who is voted in by his peers, split 50-50 commission on all be backs if that sales person is off that day. This will make Mathis a wonderful place to work

Upper management nightmare

ProsGood for those who enjoy working in a fast paced environment and enjoy variety in their day to day routine. Can make a decent amount of money without a college degree.

ConsUpper and middle management is literally hell. There are a few good sales managers out there, but the general environment is extremely hostile, negative, and stressful. Management belittles employees and there is no praise for a job well done, only criticism when things don't go well. Literally feel as if you're walking on eggshells all day. No encouragement for work-life balance, just work work work. All holidays except Christmas/Easter/Thanksgiving and all weekends no exceptions. Prepare to never see your family again.

Good company, bad and unappreciative management

Store Associate (Current Employee)
    Oklahoma City, OK

ProsJob position was great. Fun job and not typically difficult. I loved working with my immediate coworkers and most customers.

ConsUpper management was atrocious. Never around to do much more than wander in, immediately start screaming and employees about anything they could find. I had just finished greeting and helping a customer who was just there to browse, was walking away to have a manager walk in and chew me out for ignoring them- that type of stuff. Employed 2 years, great employee and never received a raise or bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease appreciation and respect for employees, even those low on the totem pole.

Worst job ever

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

ProsI see no benefits to working here.

ConsYou work long hours for minimum wage. Commission as very low. Cut throat atmosphere on the sales floor.

Worked for Mathis Brothers Furniture? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mathis Brothers Furniture reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Mathis Brothers Furniture CEO Larry Mathis. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Mathis Brothers Furniture employees.