Mathnasium

Updated December 21, 2014
Updated December 21, 2014
4.0

CEO

Pros
  • Working with kids who struggle with math is a challenge but rewarding when you see the progress they make because of you (in 6 reviews)

• You're constantly improving your math skills which is great if you are an engineering or math major (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Instructor position is part-time only (in 6 reviews)

• Low pay compared to private tutoring (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

I worked at Mathnasium

Pros

they really care about education and kids

Cons

pay is really low. too many compromises needed when working in a franchisee business

increase your compensation if you want to retain quality people.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Instructor in Oak Park, IL
    Current Employee - Instructor in Oak Park, IL

I have been working at Mathnasium full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, friendly co-workers, positive and supportive atmosphere, work as a team, great boss, work with kids, learn math tips, tricks, and strategies as you teach them and refresh your own math skills at the same time

Cons

The cons to working at Mathnasium are minor and apply to everyone differently: sometimes it can be frustrating if a student is unable to progress based on factors outside of your control such as learning disabilities and/or attention span issues. The pay could be better but a. this franchise is in its first year and still working towards turning a profit, and b. really it's not bad for what it is and the higher the level of math you know, the more you are qualified to earn.

Great idea, Good corporate management, bad local management

I worked at Mathnasium

Pros

Great pay, considering the flexible hours and the fact that it is part time

Cons

Demands change almost instantaneously; I had no idea whether I would be meeting, exceeding, or falling below expectations of time commitment. Management was not very good at communicating when we were falling below expectations, so discipline was always a surprise

communicate with your employees more, and make sure the employees know when they are falling below expectations

Terrible, Cheap CEO...

Former Employee - Executive Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Mathnasium full-time

Pros

The mission - being part of a company that helps kids learn & understand math is really rewarding; the "story" behind Larry Martinek, one of the founders, is inspiring. Because the company is small & growing, there are great opportunities to get lots of experience in a variety of areas.

Cons

Everything starts at the top and the CEO is the absolute worst - lack of a clear vision or plan, controlling, micromanager (i.e. any personal office photos MUST be in the red IKEA frames ), poor/dishonest communication to employees, SUPER cheap (hired MBA student as CFO) and more. This is a growing/changing company. The job responsibilities (and bonus structure) you were hired for could change every 6 mos. "on a dime", as is what happened to me. When I asked about my bonus, I was told I no longer had a bonus structure, although it had never been communicated to me. International expansion is a priority today - the entire intl team gets fired tomorrow, etc., etc., etc.

Sigh..too much to write, and honestly, the CEO and management wouldn't care anyway.

Worked because of students

Former Employee - Math Tutor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Math Tutor in Denver, CO

I worked at Mathnasium part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only thing that I like about the company is that you can have your own way of teaching. Besides, you do not have a lot of responsibility like others job

Cons

The management is really bad.

Improve your management

Good Gig for a while

Former Employee - Tutor
    Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at Mathnasium

Pros

Nice place to work but owners struggling

Cons

Where I worked was struggling financially and they closed the place due to heavy competition.

Make sure your owners are making money so they can stay open

Good company

I worked at Mathnasium part-time

Pros

Good environment to work. Everyone cares deeply about the student's success

Cons

No opportunity to grow and low pay

Good Experience

Current Employee - Math Instructor in Laguna Niguel, CA
    Current Employee - Math Instructor in Laguna Niguel, CA

I have been working at Mathnasium part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Its nice to help young students with their math skills. It helps me grow my math knowledge by the many ways I have to explain each problem to each student, since most students learn differently. Work with good people that genuinely want to help the student get better at math.

Cons

Instructor position is part-time only. The pay is could be better.

I am not optimistic about the tutors' qualifications

I worked at Mathnasium part-time (more than an year)

Pros

(1) People around you are very nice;
    (2) Paid training;
    (3) Opportunity for promotion (instructor -> lead instructor -> senior lead instructor) and leadership opportunities if you stay long.

Cons

(1) Random work schedule, especially at smaller centers. Director would change your work schedule every time they get or lose a student, which is understandable but I would prefer a more consistent one.

(2) Starting pay is between $11-$12. This is a place for high school/college students who need a part-time job and people who can't find a better job elsewhere. If you want a teaching career, go somewhere else.

(3) Growth limit. The center structure is very simple. Center director -> (senior) lead instructor -> everyone else. The (senior) lead instructor is oftentimes the instructor that stays there the longest. There is no opportunity for growth except moving from instructor to (senior) lead instructor. Even then, you don't get to work full-time.

I am very worried about these parents' money not spending on something worthwhile.

(1) Instructors have extremely high turnover rate. There are many reasons for this - low pay, growth limit, random work schedule, too few hours assigned to each instructor. Whatever the reason is, students become victims. Every once in a while, a new instructor who is very unfamiliar with the student's math background starts working with him/her. The instructor has no idea what the student's strengths and weaknesses are. Once the instructor gets to know the student, they quit the job and a new instructor comes in. The cycle repeats.

(2) Too expensive for parents. Parents pay about $50 for each hour of tutoring their kids get. If parents are paying $15/hour, I wouldn't complain. But with $50, their kids deserve something much better than this. I know a few certified teachers who offer private tutoring. They charge about the same price or slightly lower. Go for those! With the same price, their tutoring is more professional and it's one-on-one.

(3) Instructor quality. Most tutors don't come from a math background. They are in biology, accounting, finance and even history and literature. They lack training in both math and teaching. Yes, Mathnasium provides training, but if a couple of hours' training is enough for teaching, why do school teachers go through years of training before they can actually start teaching? I did see some very good tutors, but they don't stay long. If they are good, they can find better opportunities elsewhere. Why stay for $11-$12?

If your kid is learning to read the clock or count numbers, they won't go wrong here at Mathnasium (but again, who pays $50 for learning to count numbers?). But if your kid struggles in middle/high school math and need some really good resources to help, chances are they won't get the kind of tutoring they need here.

Organized and fulfilling

Former Employee - Intern in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Intern in Denver, CO

I worked at Mathnasium part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Culture was pleasant. The company's organizational aspects are very respectable.

Cons

No cons it was a nice environment

Keep it up.