Mathnasium

Mathnasium Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Pros
  • You're constantly improving your math skills which is great if you are an engineering or math major (in 4 reviews)

• Fairly relaxed work environment and the math being taught was very simple (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited hours and only part time (in 4 reviews)

• Low pay compared to private tutoring (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Instructor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat company, fantastic mission, great environment

ConsNone! Very fulfilling place to work

Good College Job

Math Instructor (Current Employee) Huntsville, AL

ProsFun environment.
    Good experience for potential math educators.
    Ability to frequently practice math skills.
    Great coworkers and owners with awesome attitude.

ConsNo full time employment opportunities.
    Not many hours.
    Pay could be higher.
    No options for advancement within the franchise.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer a higher hourly pay rate or perhaps pay based on how many students you work with a day.

Teaching Peanuts For Peanuts

ProsLaid back, professional environment, respected position, fun and challenging work (the children, not the math)

ConsLow pay and little hours. Very close quarters. Children misbehave in various ways.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe minimum score on the employment test should be higher than 85%. Or the test should be harder.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company where most owners care about the students

Math Instructor (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGetting to see the kids develop confidence and competency in math

ConsVery strict guidelines on how to teach the curriculum. Micro-management is abundant and salaries for instructors is low

Advice to Senior ManagementBenefits and higher wages

Great Company

ProsA well balanced company, growing with excellent potential. If you truly care about Math and teaching children, this is the place to be. Nobody gets rich teaching math, but the company treats it's people well with respect and dignity. A truly great place to work.

ConsIt is exactly as advertised. No complaints!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing!

Great experience to tutor kids from K - 12 in Mathematics.

Math Tutor (Former Employee) Honolulu, HI

ProsOne on One and group tutoring session.
    Good start to having an idea of becoming a math teacher.
    You really do influence the kids if you put work into it.
    Pretty flexible hours.

ConsPay is mediocre.
    Limited hours and only part time.
    Boss didn't really listen to his employees.
    No real training except videos you watch.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand your employees by communicating with them, instead of shunning them out.

Working at Mathnasium

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe working hours are flexible

ConsMust work for Low Pay

Advice to Senior ManagementValue employees more

Fun Work Environment

Math Tutor (Current Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsWork with intelligent people. Great job if you're in school. You're constantly improving your math skills which is great if you are an engineering or math major.

ConsSometimes the children can be a little disobedient but that's just part of the job.

Not a good place to work if you're looking to get a lot of hours. They are only open four hours a day on weekdays and three hours on Saturday.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to retain employees who are professionally trained in the Mathnasium curriculum and can help new hires learn how to teach it.

Fun, flexible and an overall AWESOME experience!

Math Tutor (Former Employee) Spring, TX

ProsI worked here as a high school student and I can honestly say the job was the most flexible and least stressful I have ever had. I really enjoyed getting to know all of the kids and was genuinely sad to leave. Mathnasium is a great company and I would return in a heartbeat.

ConsThe pay was average, but not great. I was told that once I began tutoring full time I would receive a raise but never did.

Good way to brush up on math skills while earning money in college.

Instructor (Former Employee)

ProsThe kids you teach are great most of the time. Even though not all of them want to be there, if you connect with them you can see a difference in their attitude and can begin to truly help them better themselves. The money is good for what you do.

ConsThey really hound you to use the proper vocabulary they use. It's not a "prize" cabinet, it is a "reward" cabinet. The hours are okay, but don't expect to ever get more than 30 hours. Also, because the material comes from the original Mathnasium, management doesn't seem too keen on the idea of improvements. They tend to just stick with whatever Larry (founder) suggests.

Advice to Senior ManagementEase up on pushing the Mathnasium vocabulary, and recognize your instructors when they suggest good ideas.

Worked for Mathnasium? Contribute to the Community!