Matrix Companies

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014
4.5

Brent Messmer

Great experience with the ownership and management sincerely caring about it's employees and showing it!

Current Employee - Business Developent Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Business Developent Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Matrix Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Small feel, open floor plan, surrounded around people who enjoy what they do. Matrix does a fine job of recognizing their employees when they do things well. They also have quarterly activities which allows you to get to know your fellow co-workers better

Cons

Some challenges would be the commute. If you live in Central Cinti or NKY it's fine. If you are in the northern suburbs, it can be difficult finding a non-traffic way to get here.

Matrix is overly generous with time off

Couldn't Ask for a Better Place to Work!

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Matrix Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a great work/life balance here. I genuinely like the people that work here and enjoy hanging out with them outside of work. Matrix offers a ton of benefits that make you happy to come to work--massage Mondays (actual masseuses come in!), monthly activities, pot lucks, volunteer opportunities, Spotlight of the month, and casual Fridays to name a few.

We have been in our new office downtown since last September and that has made a big difference. Everyone is more collaborative and it feels more cohesive than it did at our old building. The management team is always willing to help employees. I feel very comfortable going to my manager or another manager with questions or for advice at any time. They do a great job of putting you in a position that fits your skill set and are willing to accommodate you in another position if necessary if you have the right attitude.

Cons

They don't allow shorts on casual Fridays. I swear I can make short look presentable and professional!!

Keep doing what you are doing. Hiring people with the "Matrix Attitude" goes a long way, it feels like family here even as we grow and add new employees, the values have stayed the same which I think is important.

Add some job shadowing during training--I think this would have helped me understand each division's responsibilities faster.

My extended family

Current Employee - Business Development in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Business Development in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Matrix Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I truly believe my co-workers, as well as my manager and our leadership team, care about me. I feel my opinions and ideas are valued, and I am encouraged to "act like I own it." I love the mindset of our president and how he sets the tone for the "employee-centric" culture at Matrix.

Cons

Physical location of headquarters is less than desirable. Building issues are an ongoing joke.

Continue to seek ways to invest in your employees. Always look for new ideas.

I would do it all over again.

Former Employee - Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Matrix Companies

Pros

very friendly atmosphere, open book management style, best service in the industry, and top notch employees.

Cons

expensive insurance and not a great building location

move.

Great company

I have been working at Matrix Companies

Pros

I would venture to say that most of my coworkers love the culture at Matrix (that statement would is supported by the two 'best places to work' awards). At Matrix, we are expected to work hard and are also encouraged to have fun. From the monthly activity, music in the hallways, company Reds games, casual days, etc to the fact that the owner knows every employees kids' names....it is a friendly place to work.

I also enjoy the fact that at Matrix, everything we do is done the right way. We don't cut corners and can do this because of our manageable caseloads. Happy clients make my job much more enjoyable.

Cons

The only downside that I have experienced is that the benefits are expensive for spouses, but this is common for a small business.

Keep the passion! The 'emotion' that the other person mentioned keeps us all motivated. I have worked at stale companies before and it gets boring.

Not a good one

I have been working at Matrix Companies

Pros

The worker bees/service people are the absolute best in the business. They respect their clients and truly care. If I were a business owner, I would want a Matrix rep to handle my WC account. The employees treat one another like family. They still try their absolute best when faced with daily technical problems, daily staff changes, and embarrassing pay.

Cons

Leadership is all emotion. Management is not interested in investing in employees long term. I believe the term "burn 'em and churn 'em" suits this company. The pay is well below the competitiors in the same industry. The benefits are the worst that I have ever encountered. If you are looking for a solid, long term career - look elsewhere.

Matrix needs to make some big changes. The people who are your "greatest asset" are looking for employment elsewhere. As well they should.

Great place to work!

I worked at Matrix Companies as an intern

Pros

Lots of positive recognition and rewards for going above and beyond. Fun leadership team who engages all employees by encouraging ideas and participation of development. You will never get bored there because the place is full of energy.

Cons

Not a lot of down time, high expectations. If you don't plan on working hard for clients, don't work here.

Be careful to hire only those with "the matrix attitude"