Matson Reviews

Matt Cox

Matson, Marine Engineering

Current Employee - Chief Engineer in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Chief Engineer in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Matson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Best US shipping company - great pay and benefits

Cons

small industry - company doesn't value maritime employees

expand you hiring practices, diversity would greatly help

They need a face lift and FAST!

I worked at Matson

Pros

Some friendly employees and management. I worked in IT so it was a pretty laid back environment with plenty of work to be had. Their app devs and webteam rocks considering how small they are and for the amount of work they must accomplish.

Cons

They are in a MAJOR need of a brand makeover or a new marketing team. (not sure if they even have one of those. Their website looks like it is resurrected from the early 2000's. It's as if they don't have a professional designer working for them. I actually heard that they do indeed have one but more of a mediocre graphic designer that they actually call the creative director. I heard he is usually busy making brochures that look dated back from 1999 and supposedly, they had the same guy design for the web! -yikes!! I hope someone that calls the shots is aware of this and lets a true ui/ux web designer pro handle that area. This may be the root of the cause. An incapable person that is leading web design and Matson's brand that is absolutely clueless. I've also heard stories of how much of a pretentious ahole he was as well. I guess he talks the talk but can't walk the walk (just look at their website). An ex co-woker of mine said he couldn't never back any of it up, usually resulting in poor work and attitude. Grade A brown-noser. If you seen their website... it's a pretty bad look for the face of the company. I think some restructuring is definitely needed.

Please hire professionals for a particular area of work, namely web design. It will help promote sales which means more $$$ in Matson's wallet. A single graphic designer (aka mediocre creative director) should not be an umbrella for all graphic related areas. It's 2014, let your presence on the web to the entire world reflect such an old historic brand that right way. One of the guys I worked with there said all they need are branding guides and they can go from there but they don't even have that! Are they sure they have a true creative director working for them? Hope Matson doesn't get duped for too long before the damage is noticeable (But I think that ship has sailed).

great company, poor and inefficient management, Sr. IT management has no clue what is going on under them....

Former Employee - No Comment in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - No Comment in Oakland, CA

I worked at Matson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great company with decent benefits, you get your birthday off, after 3 years you get 3 weeks of vacation, 3 floater days per year, 10 days sick time. people not in I.T. are generally very friendly.

Cons

there is absolutely no work life balance, if you are in I.T., DO NOT WORK HERE!! Too stressful, executives doesn't pay attention to details, would you like a boss who doesn't read your emails or lacks communication to ensure your stability in the workplace? not to mention the pay scale is lower then market conditions, they bring in contractors and promise that they will get hired and after years of waiting they are not hired. good luck getting a promotion because they do not promote from within unless you are in development areas that benefit the higher powers.

The Sr. Management has no clue how bad the IT department is. Moral is horrible and its unfortunate that even so many don't realize know how bad things are. Sr. Mgmt only has his agenda to care for. Management is blind and will not fix the problems inside IT. Stop acting like you care about your employees when all the Sr. Management desires is to meet their goals and achieve bonuses. How about you listen to the employees and don't let them feel so afraid to speak up about how bad things are ran. Advice would be for the management. to handle the issues that are clearly right in front of you, stop denying that certain individuals need not to be employed in the positions they are in.

Great company. Gave me lots of opportunity

I worked at Matson

Pros

Challenging. Passionate. Satisfying.

Cons

Not a growth industry. Industry consolidating.

Good in the beginning but once corporate took over our location it went downhill fast.

Former Employee - Invoicing in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Invoicing in Houston, TX

I worked at Matson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits are good

Cons

Upper management doesn't understand how others locations work.

If something is working and making you money you should leave it alone and not try to micromanage it.

Steady as She Goes-- Matson 2013

Current Employee - Corporate Finance Intern in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Finance Intern in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Matson (less than an year)

Pros

Very steady and generally relaxed work environment. Pretty much have a monopoly on the Oakland-- Hawaii trade because we dominated our main competitor, Horizon Lines. Generally good benefits and experienced team.

Cons

A little bit slow moving. Hard to really cause any substantive changes to work. However, is there much to change? We are already dominating our peers.

Make Matson bigger. Try to expand to new markets. Our Corporate staff can handle and do more work and Matson can achieve greater economies of scale.

Mmatson in the Jetsom and the Fl

Current Employee - Able Bodied Seaman in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Able Bodied Seaman in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Matson as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

They pay well, better than most.

Cons

Work is not always available unless you have been there for 10 years.

No career growth

I have been working at Matson full-time

Pros

Very conservative company. Values long time employees (only appreciation, nothing else)

Cons

No career growth. Old school style approach.

Take care of worker bees and think about their career growth as well.

Jump! Your answer: How high?

Former Employee - Technician
    Former Employee - Technician

I worked at Matson as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

If you ever gain actual employment, I hear the benefits are second to that of school teachers. You get your birthday off as well, that's pretty neat.

Cons

I worked in the logistics division as a contractor for a long time. Promises were made, but all promises were broken. I was first promised contract to hire: They fired the manager that made that promise. Then I was promised contract renewal: They told me the next day they no longer "need me".

2 big mottos from the employee's: "Here one day, gone the next" and "The company moves like a ship: very slowly in one direction."

High turnover of employees... in the past 3 months I was working there, I saw 2 key players leave due to incompetent management, and about 25 people leave for various reasons.

Most employees I spoke to on the phone noted to me how it was very hard to spend any time at all with their families... if you want to have the balanced work/personal life, this is NOT the place to work! When you work here, you are working here before you leave for the office, when you get to the office, through lunch, after you leave the office, and pretty much up until you fall asleep. Expect loved ones to feel alone and as though mentally you are not there..

If they promise anything, ASK FOR IT IN WRITING!

This company will use you dry, and leave you feeling like it's an abusive relationship: You want to leave, but you are afraid to.

The "executives" are ALWAYS priority. This is what is expected of you. If they need help setting up a new printer on their desk, but the rest of the company is down because email isn't working (again... due to bandwidth issues probably... because the company is too cheap to upgrade), you are STILL expected to go help the executive kindly setup their printer. Wow, talk about loss of hundreds of thousands of dollars due to this small problem...

The employees are also forced to work overtime and on weekends. I hear from quite a few that they are so sick of it, but there isn't anything they can do. They fear for their jobs more than the love of their family... there is something seriously out of wack here.

To end it all: If you are looking to make somewhere around $11-17/hour max, at a dead end job, without the expectation to work overtime and afterhours... (well...some might still be required). this might be the job for you. If you are looking to make a name for yourself or advance your career, I would highly recommend better logistic/transportation companies. Matson is the lowest paying transportation company (which is why they are doing so well right now. Employee cost cutting). They also always seem to be hiring contractors rather than employees which has been cutting their costs down quite a bit... but hurting the general public.

There are better companies to work for. These guys will treat you like dirt. The quote that I will always remember (in case you are saying to yourself, "I've heard different...") is "Matson used to not be like this about 10 years ago... it was easier then. More family prerogatives, and managers wanting us to go home to love our families rather than keep working. Ever since we became a publicly traded company... our jobs have become the worst out there"

Executives come first "no matter what?" I don't know who implemented that, but don't forget that without the employees, your company will NOT run! When more people start to realize that, you will find yourselves without workers or workers on strike. Keep your employees happy, and try to mend broken relationships.

ACTUALLY LIVE BY YOUR VALUES! You have a lot to learn about integrity and the company creed. Lying to people to get contractors to do employee's work and pay them a crappy rate and just use them is NOT the way to do things!

Actually listen to your employees and NOT the president/executives all the time! We are people too! We have feelings, thoughts, and suggestions!

Have an open and honest dialog with individuals! Many people there are scared of losing their jobs for fear of speaking up about the corruption and politics that is happening at the company right now. Sign a document saying this person will not lose their job over speaking up about employee misconduct. I'm sure you'd lose an executive at that company over this, but it would be worth it for the happiness of the employees.

You are not gods. Stop acting like your employees need to stop whatever their doing when you need to speak with them for a minute. They may be in the middle of something crucial!

Average employer, at best

I have been working at Matson full-time

Pros

Relatively stable company that has been around for a long time. Now its own publicly-traded company that should allow for growth opportunities. Strong industry brand.

Cons

Culture of mediocrity - filled with long time employees that feel entitled to everything (ie, union mentality). Given that poor performers are not managed out (including some management) and high performers are not differentiated, no reason to grind out long days. Functional support groups not valued at all.

Time to clean out the dead weight...