Mattel

www.mattel.com

Mattel Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
Mattel – El Segundo – “View from the street of the Mattel headquarter…”

Mattel CEO and Director Bryan G. Stockton

Bryan G. Stockton

Pros
  • good work life balance, good salaries, half day fridays, good health insurance plan(in 63 reviews)

• There are many work/life balance initiatives to take advantage of(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance is nearly non-existent: emails and work on weekends, late nights(in 13 reviews)

• Some long hours and weekend emails(in 11 reviews)

Hoping for a better experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHalf-day Fridays were amazing. Really the best.
    Worked with some really wonderful people.

ConsSupport systems and job tools caused more issues than instilling efficiency. You spent more time trying to figure out the problem.
    Lack of understanding of technology.
    Lack of communication between groups.
    Politics and throwing people under the bus.

Advice to Senior ManagementRotation of people is great, but I feel like you lose institutional knowledge. I felt really marginalized working there. No one was listening to our suggestions and advice. I also felt lied to about several aspects of my position. Also, when you send an email saying that no one is getting raises so that no one will be laid off and then start laying people off, that's totally not "playing fair" with your employee's lives.

Run don't walk

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRecognizable brand that is looking it's once reputable name.

ConsOverrated. People act like working at Mattel brings prestige...but the word is getting out. If you can check your good morals at the door then you'll do well In an atmosphere with extreme politicking. It's not about the job it's about political gain. People who are there now are only doing what they can to hold on to their jobs because of looming layoffs. No leadership in place.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage instead of fostering a highly political, toxic, and ruthless culture

Hit and Miss

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI liked and respected the vast majority of the people that I worked with - it is a great group as individuals. Also, the half day Fridays are hard to beat.

ConsSenior management is living in the last century - locked in their silo view of the enterprise. Although it is said time and again that Mattel's talent is highly valued by the company, it doesn't take long working there to realize that everyone, absolutely everyone, is a bad quarter away from being cut so that senior execs can make their bonuses. The amount of talent and technical memory that is ushered out the door is staggering!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that senior management embodies the Peter Principle in action - they have all risen to their various levels of incompetence. This in and of itself is not a bad thing if it is recognized and used to continue questioning and growing. What makes it a big deal at Mattel is that it is so political that growth and progress don't seem to occur. On top of that, no one seems to be accountable. Senior management doesn't seem to trust that the majority of employees are trying to do the right thing. Instead they compete to advance their individual agendas for more control. The result is an organization with different groups pulling different directions - yes in many cases against itself!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mattel Interactive Barbie Team

International Producer (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsHalf day Fridays, slow work pace.

ConsCorporate environment, non-innovative teams, process does not make sense, off shore development team and a bunch of old dogs that do not understand digital trends.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people that have a vision and know how to develop, design and produce the latest in digital. Use internal teams to develop, do not use off shore when you have a company this size and keep current on the latest digital trends, classes your team can take and create some structure that make since, include all teams in brainstorming, have a goal in mind .. keep up with competitors.

Used to be really good...

ProsOverall, Mattel is a good company. Great benefits and amenities. Half day Fridays are hard to beat.

ConsToo many politics, depends on which group you were working in, glass ceiling definitely exists. Don't have clear guide on what needs to be done to get promoted, investing too much on directors and VPs and not too much care for the "worker bees".

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more on the people who actually do the work. Invest in better leadership.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Fast-paced, creative, intense place to work

Director (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsThey are truly leaders in the toy industry. You get to work with the brightest and the best. There's a variety of brands to work on, and there's great opportunities to make a positive impact on the business at all levels.

ConsIt can be extremely political. You really have to campaign for promotions/rotations, as management is not focused on developing their team if it doesn't benefit them personally. People are rewarded even when they don't live by the values of the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementBalance what's best for shareholders in the short-term with what's best for employees, the company, and shareholders in the long-term.

No Work Life Balance

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

Proshalf day Fridays (in theory), great coworkers, solid cafeteria and gym, relevant products, easy to rotate to other departments

Consfeel like a cog, very bureaucratic, no avenue to give safe feedback to management, bad IT. They romance you with a great corporate culture, but I found that there was no work life balance and a lot of office politics. Hours were long and "peak time" was practically all the time. It was impossible to make plans during the week. They made us work MLK weekend and 4th of July. I think other departments had it easier, but it's pretty difficult being in Finance. Morale was low in our department due to being overworked and with layoffs pending.

Great Employees, fun atmosphere!

Junior Analyst (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsI worked in the Hot Wheels division, so can't go wrong there.

ConsCubicles can be a bit isolating, wish they would adopt newer workspace innovations.

Mattel offers their employees a good company culture with many benefits.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsThe company offers a lot of extra perks for their employees. There is a lot of work you have to do but there is always something positive going on. Company values, benefits, basketball leagues, dry cleaners, day-care, company parties and gatherings, opportunity.

ConsLike any company there are times when you have tons of work and protocol, and sometimes you don't. The security is intense and you aren't allowed to bring in personal computers.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe sure to take on activities outside of your direct work. There is a lot of opportunity to grow as an employee.

Exciting, rewarding, demanding business working with very talented employees.

Exutive Many Functions (Former Employee) Hawthorne, CA

ProsA leading edge creative company in product categories, subsidiaries and how the business is run. Fast moving, decisions in a timely fashion and usually promotions by merit. Excellent salary structure and bonus system and competitive compensation.

ConsYou must recognize and accept a high degree of politics. If you can't handle confusion due to politics don't work here, on the other hand if you can cope its a great place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have tracked my former employer Mattel and have no advice for the toy business. Multi device electronics are starting to grab dollars all the way down to two years old. More attention to expanding into that market seems wise.

Worked for Mattel? Contribute to the Community!