Mattel
www.mattel.com El Segundo, CA 5000+ Employees

Mattel Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014
Mattel – El Segundo – “View from the street of the Mattel headquarter…”

Mattel CEO and Director Bryan G. Stockton

Bryan G. Stockton

Pros:
  • "Top notch benefits package, half-day Fridays, strong employee communication programs"
    in 61 reviews
  • "There are many work/life balance initiatives to take advantage of"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "work/life balance is nearly non-existent: emails and work on weekends, late nights"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Some long hours and weekend emails"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work...but layoffs are a way of life.

El Segundo, CA

ProsGreat company, great brands and very talented people. Pay is really good and they have amazing benefits. It's the most fun I've ever had at a job!

ConsI was told that, as a creative, you will eventually get laid off. And sure enough, that did happen. Every year, the rumors of layoffs become intense...to the point that it's hard for people to get work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider keeping creative talent in the areas of their expertise and where their passion is. Too often, people get moved to other parts of the business to get ahead only to displace people that are happy where they are.

Very Solid Company

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsI think the company has good sound management that is making good decisions to keep us afloat in this economy. Sound judgement is important

ConsThere really aren't many. The product competition might be the worst. Other than that there aren't too many reasons why I would move to another company

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen more job positions abroad

good benefits, toxic environment

Prosgood benefits, 401k, stock options, half day Fridays, extra holidays at Christmas

Consvery toxic environment with the worst politics imaginable. very volatile climate: frequent reorganizations & lay-offs

Advice to Senior Managementstop the madness! stop putting folks in upper management who aren't qualified

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OK for a big company

ProsFun products and famous names like Barbie and Hot Wheels. Decent benefits. Don't think they'll go out of business any time soon.

ConsVery conservative management. Extremely political environment. Heavy emphasis on cost-cutting except for senior positions. Limited future vision.

Great benefits, Awful treatment of Designers.

Designer (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsFair compensation. Good vacation & holiday time. Half-day fridays.

ConsHard work & extra initiative is not acknowledged at Mattel (NYC FP Office). Designers are made to stay late (on average until 8pm) without overtime pay. Favorites shoot up the ladder because they say the right things to the right people. Management roles are not given to the most talented. "Producers" & "Work-horses" are kept in lower positions to do all the work and get no credit. If you are okay with staying late without getting promotions or appreciation - this is the place for you!

Advice to Senior ManagementNotice those who are the most talented & reward them!

Mattel - If you want to be the "Most Innovative" toy company in the world, reward innovation & remove stagnation.

Sounds like a fun company, but the drama doesn't make it worth it

New York, NY

ProsBenefits, Half day fridays, free toys, creative work environment. Some really smart, creative people.

ConsVery stressful, micro managing, Sr. Mgmt. can be abrasive and rude, compensation. Sometimes you feel guilty going to a doctor's appointment or even getting sick.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to manage up and don't take your stress out on the employees below. The work itself is fun, it's the people that make the job not worth it.

Don't waste your time

El Segundo, CA

ProsGreat benefits, Friday half day,

ConsHighly Political, backstabbing, arrogant, and long long hours. Better like doing work that is a level above you while they keep your pay and title low. They love to tout development but very little is offered. Lots of silos and little fiefdoms. It's like high school where everyone thinks they are way too cool.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people innovate and quit rushing product to market. Foster an environment of stability and make the employees feel welcome and that they have a home. Constant threats and all of this CYA leads to horrible morale. Just because it was done to you, doesn't give you the right to treat people poorly, you should correct it instead of perpetuating,

Great company to work for

Marketing Intern (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsI enjoyed my time at Mattel. It was both a creative and collaborative work environment. Even as an intern my ideas and opinions were valued, and I was treated as an equal team member.

ConsI really cannot think of very many negatives about working here. It did feel very corporate at times, and that we were having to go through certain motions to merely comply with the corporation's standards.

Culture of constant change is unnecessarily exhausting.

ProsMany wonderful colleagues to learn from and work with.

ConsToo much top-down driven change has negative impact on work life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk for feedback from the lower levels. There are pockets of incompetence in low level management.

Fisher-Price is expendable

East Aurora, NY

ProsExcellent benefits; Good vacation time; 10 days off at Christmas; Half-day Fridays; Fitness center; Cafeteria; Discount cards for Toy store (for friends & family); and the people are amazing!

Cons--Mattel does not understand the culture at Fisher-Price, nor have they tried. By virtue of the products they make, FP has to market to moms, and Mattel has never, ever figured out how different that is than selling to older kids.
    --The El Segundo HQ has always looked-down their noses at the Fisher-Price campus, making us feel perpetually like unwanted step-children.
    --The brand has not changed with the times, and is dying. Cuts to marketing budgets did not give the relaunch of the brand the best chance to flourish, and they haven’t given it enough time to work. So what do they do? Reorganize! (They reorganize every 18 to 24 months.)
    --The brand is no longer relevant because a handful of SVPs have micro-managed product and marketing to point that nothing is new or fresh.
    --The disparity between senior management and staff is significant, and most people do not feel as if top management knows what’s going on.
    --If you know somebody or happen to have a supportive boss, then you get promoted. If your boss checked-out years ago and is waiting for his “package,” then you go nowhere.
    --Mattel keeps saying they are committed to staying in East Aurora, NY (where Fisher-Price was founded), yet they keep chipping away at the functions housed there piece by piece. The last 6 or 7 years have been hellish.
    --I predict Mattel will shut-down the East Aurora campus , and that as a brand, Fisher-Price will become meaningless.

Advice to Senior Management--First and foremost, stop trying to mold Fisher-Price into your idea of what a toy company should be. It doesn't fit and it never has. Give them the tools, money and time to do their own thing and see if it works, because what you've implemented has not worked!
    --There is a group of long-standing senior management that needs to go!
    --Provide adequate resources instead of heaping more and more work on fewer and fewer people.
    --Actually train managers to manage people properly.
    --Add some fun back into the workplace. (It’s a toy company; it’s supposed to be fun!)
    --And guys, if you do decide to move the brand to California, do it soon and spare a lot of really good people the anguish of lay-off rumors every other week.

Worked for Mattel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mattel reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Mattel CEO Bryan G. Stockton. All 216 reviews posted anonymously by Mattel employees.