Mattel Reviews

Updated September 3, 2014
3.1

Mattel CEO and Director Bryan G. Stockton
Bryan G. Stockton

Pros
  • good work life balance, good salaries, half day fridays, good health insurance plan (in 63 reviews)

• There are many work/life balance initiatives to take advantage of (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance is nearly non-existent: emails and work on weekends, late nights (in 13 reviews)

• Some long hours and weekend emails (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

You're making toys!

Former Employee - Designer  in  El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Designer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Mattel full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked with really nice and helpful people and I had a great manager. The work is fun and collaborative. Friday's a short and that is really great. It's even greater if you have kids! Halloween and Christmas is amazing there.

Cons

Very long meetings so you get little time to do your work and the approval process is intense. The food they serve in the cafe is not good, there needs to be a healthier option and good food for all that amazing talent.

Make sure employees don't have to work long nights and a lot of overtime, it's a burn-out.

Eh

Current Employee - Senior Executive Assistant  in  El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Executive Assistant in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Mattel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible hours, half day Fridays, Discount on Toys. Company closed during Christmas and New Year's holiday

Cons

Its who you know then what you know that gets you promoted or advance

Good people, but hierarchical and dated thinking

Current Employee - 4faaf418@opayq.com  in  El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - 4faaf418@opayq.com in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Mattel full-time for more than a year

Pros

In general, the people at Mattel are what make it a good place to work. It's a congenial atmosphere. In addition, the workload is pretty reasonable most of the time.

Cons

There is very little to make the company stand out...pay is ok, benefits are ok, perks are ok. The company is very efficient in the way it manages its manufacturing and product development processes, but in general, the thinking feels old-fashioned and slow to adapt to current marketplace forces.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Producer  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Producer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Mattel as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Mattel is a very corporate company.

Cons

Mattel is a very corporate company.

Takes Care of Employees, Pay not as competitive

I have been working at Mattel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company of culture of rewarding employees - really invests a lot of money in make sure employees feel appreciated. Good Opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Does not pay competitively especially when developing from within. Company is not daring enough in terms of vision - is still making and marketing toys for children thirty years ago, not for children of today.

Too conservative as a toy company. Go big or go home.

A fun place to work, we consider it "play"

I worked at Mattel full-time

Pros

Mattel has been voted one of the best places to work for many years because: 1) Vision is clearly communicated to employees on a regular bases, face-to-face, not just by tons of emails 2) Leadership excels in product management. There's several onsite training courses offered annually...FREE and at your discretion 3) Great benefits: pension, profit sharing and lots of time off. They encourage work-life balance and close at 1pm EVERY Friday. Holiday bonus week for Christmas. Toys are fun, stress free backdrop. Some of the best creative minds in the world

Cons

Development team works lots of overtime, even on Fridays. Toys don't have a high price point so compensation is a bit lower. You can earn more as an attorney on Wall Street but you wouldn't wear Khaki's and Pumas on Tuesday as some do here. Some locations have high overhead costs, no gym, cafeteria, daycare, etc. Agree that promotions aren't always a clear path, they're more frequent in larger departments and profit centers. Career/travel ops are best for sales, marketing, engineers & designers, its a challenge for some. Utilize as many benefits as you can as soon as you can to capitalize on your time there.

Management's time off policies are fair. Career advice should be unbiased; especially if the employee can benefit elsewhere. They should take heed to constructive criticism; some micro manage and can be condescending, which is counter productive.

Excellent

Former Employee - Auditor  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Auditor in Miami, FL

I worked at Mattel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The best reasons to work here was the ambient of all of my coworkers its an excellent place to workI think

Cons

One of the challenges to work here I think it was the few time that I had to eat, a little bit less of an hour to eat

I think they are doing it great

Great benefits

I have been working at Mattel full-time

Pros

If you like consumer products, great place. Benefits are great as we'll

Cons

You end up just being a number

Focus on price value of product

Positive work environment, great benefits.

I worked at Mattel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, people, holidays, vacation. Company offered many holidays and standard vacation package. Health coverage was amazing.

Cons

Base pay is less but benefits can help compensate if they are important to you.

Overall Good Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Mattel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, half-day fridays, extra floating holidays, development courses, talented and smart employees.

Cons

Work-life balance sometimes difficult to achieve, dated corporate environment, top heavy with too many chiefs in the village. Political path to promotions. No transparency.

Worked for Mattel? Contribute to the Community!