Mattel

www.mattel.com

Mattel Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014
Mattel – El Segundo – “View from the street of the Mattel headquarter…”

Mattel – El Segundo – “View from the street of the Mattel headquarter…”

Mattel CEO and Director Bryan G. Stockton

Bryan G. Stockton

Pros
  • good work life balance, good salaries, half day fridays, good health insurance plan (in 63 reviews)

• There are many work/life balance initiatives to take advantage of (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance is nearly non-existent: emails and work on weekends, late nights (in 13 reviews)

• Some long hours and weekend emails (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Positive work environment, great benefits.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits, people, holidays, vacation. Company offered many holidays and standard vacation package. Health coverage was amazing.

ConsBase pay is less but benefits can help compensate if they are important to you.

Great place to work!

American Girl Bistro Server (Current Employee)

ProsGood benefits, flexible scheduling, happy people, happy customers. There is a 401(k) plan available, even though I'm just a part time server! Great managers, who understand that I'm still in school and need to balance my job and school well.

ConsI can't really think of any! I come on the weekends, put on my pink hair bow, and get to work! The hostesses could be more fair with the way they seat us servers, but that's not really a complaint on the management!

Overall Good Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsGreat benefits, half-day fridays, extra floating holidays, development courses, talented and smart employees.

ConsWork-life balance sometimes difficult to achieve, dated corporate environment, top heavy with too many chiefs in the village. Political path to promotions. No transparency.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lack of leadership and innovation

ProsMattel hires talented hardworking people with good salaries and strong benefit package.

ConsUnfortunately, bad behavior is rewarded in a highly political culture. Leadership is non existence and shallow. The Leadership team and CEO lack vision. The company systems are completely antiquated.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a leadership role as the largest in the industry and make toys relevant again instead of lining your pockets with cash.

Mattel is having a huge impact on Fisher-Price and the cultural implications of that are not good.

Associate Marketing Manager (Current Employee) East Aurora, NY

ProsFrom a benefits perspective we receive generous time off (company shutdown for the December holiday break) and half day Fridays. Also you can't beat working on toys for a living!

ConsManagement's words dictate one direction but their actions show another. The culture is also changing on the East Aurora campus from one of mutual support to one where individuals will be petty in order to be noticed and therefore promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour actions should back up what you say.

Mattel needs to listen to employees

ProsHalf day Fridays are a definite plus and peers are great to work with. Most employees have a sense of pride and strong work ethic.

ConsSenior Management lacks the ability to make decisions. Lots of talk of caring about employees and their opinions but in reality top management doesn't want to hear criticism. Lack of IT support to do daily work.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what employees are saying about too many approvals needed.

Great, so far!

Senior Manager, Packaging (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsPeople and work life balance are great!

ConsCreative culture could improve -

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow what is happening below your level.

great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthe people are amazingly talented.

ConsI can't really think of many negatives about working there!

Very conservative, crucially imbalanced

ProsGood benefits, holidays. Weak leadership means slack work environment for lazy people, lots of opportunity to contribute for self-motivated people.

ConsVery focused on old-school commodity-manufacturing business approach. Principle business values are savings and cost cutting; essentially no commitment to growth through investment in people, processes or innovation. Doesn't understand or embrace the direction the industry is going, or the impacts on its core business of digital, technology, and changing play patterns.

Significant bonuses, and stocks, are reserved for executives. Executive incentives are too large, and are based on short-term performance, so no one will take risks or think for the future, or invest in any timeframe longer than they can see themselves personally benefiting.

Punishes failure and unsuccessful risk. Innovation is difficult and not rewarded (unless someone gets lucky and a project they are associated with happens to make a ton of cash). These factors create a climate of fear and weak, indecisive leadership. Buys outside ideas while internal ideas languish.

Weak leadership causes long development cycles, with a great many unnecessary variants explored, creative frustration, and business costs due to the large number of projects cancelled late in the cycle.

Climate of fear and imbalanced incentives also create an extremely hierarchical organization, a strongly consensus-based culture, and a strong wall between individual contributors and executives. A cynical emphasis on "team” is used as an excuse to not praise, encourage, reward or retain individuals. The overall tone of the culture is one of lip service to poor ideas if endorsed by higher-ups, empty cheers and false smiles.

The organization thinks of the business as a machine, and of people as interchangeable. No possibility of career growth for the majority of employees. Quality of people is low. Ranks and leadership are both full of deadwood, sycophants and the underqualified. Best and brightest don't stay long.

Advice to Senior ManagementParachute out the old dogs. Hire some people from startups, tech industry. Get fresh thinking, especially at the senior leadership level, and in marketing. Hire the best, give them the resources to flourish, and incentivise them to do their best. Invest in the future, in innovation, in new markets. Reward risk taking, inspired failure and new ideas.

Great people increasingly undermined by not great leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsRobust, iconic content, some amazing people and performers, can be a fun environment. Very good benefits.

ConsIncreasingly political, out of touch and vindictive leadership, high pressure, unrealistic expectations by people because they can, not because it is necessary. Depending on the group you're in, room for advancement can be limited (though good benefits help offset that).

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the people who have committed years of energy, intelligence and dedication to your company and who are top performers. Right now you do not do so. Also stop being so incredibly short-sighted in terms of business cycles. You do not need an unrealistically high return every single quarter, you need to perform well over time.

Worked for Mattel? Contribute to the Community!