Mattel Reviews

Updated October 6, 2014
3.2

Mattel CEO and Director Bryan G. Stockton
Bryan G. Stockton

Pros
  • Also having half day Fridays all year around is nice (in 71 reviews)

• There are many work/life balance initiatives to take advantage of (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance is nearly non-existent: emails and work on weekends, late nights (in 15 reviews)

• Some long hours and weekend emails (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

You're making toys!

Former Employee - Designer in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Designer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Mattel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked with really nice and helpful people and I had a great manager. The work is fun and collaborative. Friday's a short and that is really great. It's even greater if you have kids! Halloween and Christmas is amazing there.

Cons

Very long meetings so you get little time to do your work and the approval process is intense. The food they serve in the cafe is not good, there needs to be a healthier option and good food for all that amazing talent.

Make sure employees don't have to work long nights and a lot of overtime, it's a burn-out.

Great benefits

I have been working at Mattel full-time

Pros

If you like consumer products, great place. Benefits are great as we'll

Cons

You end up just being a number

Focus on price value of product

A fun place to work, we consider it "play"

I worked at Mattel full-time

Pros

Mattel has been voted one of the best places to work for many years because: 1) Vision is clearly communicated to employees on a regular bases, face-to-face, not just by tons of emails 2) Leadership excels in product management. There's several onsite training courses offered annually...FREE and at your discretion 3) Great benefits: pension, profit sharing and lots of time off. They encourage work-life balance and close at 1pm EVERY Friday. Holiday bonus week for Christmas. Toys are fun, stress free backdrop. Some of the best creative minds in the world

Cons

Development team works lots of overtime, even on Fridays. Toys don't have a high price point so compensation is a bit lower. You can earn more as an attorney on Wall Street but you wouldn't wear Khaki's and Pumas on Tuesday as some do here. Some locations have high overhead costs, no gym, cafeteria, daycare, etc. Agree that promotions aren't always a clear path, they're more frequent in larger departments and profit centers. Career/travel ops are best for sales, marketing, engineers & designers, its a challenge for some. Utilize as many benefits as you can as soon as you can to capitalize on your time there.

Management's time off policies are fair. Career advice should be unbiased; especially if the employee can benefit elsewhere. They should take heed to constructive criticism; some micro manage and can be condescending, which is counter productive.

Excellent

Former Employee - Auditor in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Auditor in Miami, FL

I worked at Mattel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best reasons to work here was the ambient of all of my coworkers its an excellent place to workI think

Cons

One of the challenges to work here I think it was the few time that I had to eat, a little bit less of an hour to eat

I think they are doing it great

Positive work environment, great benefits.

I worked at Mattel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, people, holidays, vacation. Company offered many holidays and standard vacation package. Health coverage was amazing.

Cons

Base pay is less but benefits can help compensate if they are important to you.

Lack of leadership and innovation

I have been working at Mattel

Pros

Mattel hires talented hardworking people with good salaries and strong benefit package.

Cons

Unfortunately, bad behavior is rewarded in a highly political culture. Leadership is non existence and shallow. The Leadership team and CEO lack vision. The company systems are completely antiquated.

Take a leadership role as the largest in the industry and make toys relevant again instead of lining your pockets with cash.

Overall Good Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Mattel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, half-day fridays, extra floating holidays, development courses, talented and smart employees.

Cons

Work-life balance sometimes difficult to achieve, dated corporate environment, top heavy with too many chiefs in the village. Political path to promotions. No transparency.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - American Girl Bistro Server
    Current Employee - American Girl Bistro Server

I have been working at Mattel part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, flexible scheduling, happy people, happy customers. There is a 401(k) plan available, even though I'm just a part time server! Great managers, who understand that I'm still in school and need to balance my job and school well.

Cons

I can't really think of any! I come on the weekends, put on my pink hair bow, and get to work! The hostesses could be more fair with the way they seat us servers, but that's not really a complaint on the management!

Great, so far!

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Packaging in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Packaging in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Mattel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People and work life balance are great!

Cons

Creative culture could improve -

Know what is happening below your level.

Mattel is having a huge impact on Fisher-Price and the cultural implications of that are not good.

Current Employee - Associate Marketing Manager in East Aurora, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Marketing Manager in East Aurora, NY

I have been working at Mattel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

From a benefits perspective we receive generous time off (company shutdown for the December holiday break) and half day Fridays. Also you can't beat working on toys for a living!

Cons

Management's words dictate one direction but their actions show another. The culture is also changing on the East Aurora campus from one of mutual support to one where individuals will be petty in order to be noticed and therefore promoted.

Your actions should back up what you say.

Mattel Photos