Mattel

Profile Unclaimed

Excellent

Former Employee - Auditor in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Auditor in Miami, FL

I worked at Mattel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best reasons to work here was the ambient of all of my coworkers its an excellent place to workI think

Cons

One of the challenges to work here I think it was the few time that I had to eat, a little bit less of an hour to eat

I think they are doing it great

Positive work environment, great benefits.

I worked at Mattel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, people, holidays, vacation. Company offered many holidays and standard vacation package. Health coverage was amazing.

Cons

Base pay is less but benefits can help compensate if they are important to you.

Mattel is having a huge impact on Fisher-Price and the cultural implications of that are not good.

Current Employee - Associate Marketing Manager in East Aurora, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Marketing Manager in East Aurora, NY

I have been working at Mattel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

From a benefits perspective we receive generous time off (company shutdown for the December holiday break) and half day Fridays. Also you can't beat working on toys for a living!

Cons

Management's words dictate one direction but their actions show another. The culture is also changing on the East Aurora campus from one of mutual support to one where individuals will be petty in order to be noticed and therefore promoted.

Your actions should back up what you say.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - American Girl Bistro Server
    Current Employee - American Girl Bistro Server

I have been working at Mattel part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, flexible scheduling, happy people, happy customers. There is a 401(k) plan available, even though I'm just a part time server! Great managers, who understand that I'm still in school and need to balance my job and school well.

Cons

I can't really think of any! I come on the weekends, put on my pink hair bow, and get to work! The hostesses could be more fair with the way they seat us servers, but that's not really a complaint on the management!

Lack of leadership and innovation

I have been working at Mattel

Pros

Mattel hires talented hardworking people with good salaries and strong benefit package.

Cons

Unfortunately, bad behavior is rewarded in a highly political culture. Leadership is non existence and shallow. The Leadership team and CEO lack vision. The company systems are completely antiquated.

Take a leadership role as the largest in the industry and make toys relevant again instead of lining your pockets with cash.

Overall Good Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Mattel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, half-day fridays, extra floating holidays, development courses, talented and smart employees.

Cons

Work-life balance sometimes difficult to achieve, dated corporate environment, top heavy with too many chiefs in the village. Political path to promotions. No transparency.

Mattel needs to listen to employees

I have been working at Mattel full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Half day Fridays are a definite plus and peers are great to work with. Most employees have a sense of pride and strong work ethic.

Cons

Senior Management lacks the ability to make decisions. Lots of talk of caring about employees and their opinions but in reality top management doesn't want to hear criticism. Lack of IT support to do daily work.

Listen to what employees are saying about too many approvals needed.

Very conservative, crucially imbalanced

I have been working at Mattel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, holidays. Weak leadership means slack work environment for lazy people, lots of opportunity to contribute for self-motivated people.

Cons

Very focused on old-school commodity-manufacturing business approach. Principle business values are savings and cost cutting; essentially no commitment to growth through investment in people, processes or innovation. Doesn't understand or embrace the direction the industry is going, or the impacts on its core business of digital, technology, and changing play patterns.

Significant bonuses, and stocks, are reserved for executives. Executive incentives are too large, and are based on short-term performance, so no one will take risks or think for the future, or invest in any timeframe longer than they can see themselves personally benefiting.

Punishes failure and unsuccessful risk. Innovation is difficult and not rewarded (unless someone gets lucky and a project they are associated with happens to make a ton of cash). These factors create a climate of fear and weak, indecisive leadership. Buys outside ideas while internal ideas languish.

Weak leadership causes long development cycles, with a great many unnecessary variants explored, creative frustration, and business costs due to the large number of projects cancelled late in the cycle.

Climate of fear and imbalanced incentives also create an extremely hierarchical organization, a strongly consensus-based culture, and a strong wall between individual contributors and executives. A cynical emphasis on "team” is used as an excuse to not praise, encourage, reward or retain individuals. The overall tone of the culture is one of lip service to poor ideas if endorsed by higher-ups, empty cheers and false smiles.

The organization thinks of the business as a machine, and of people as interchangeable. No possibility of career growth for the majority of employees. Quality of people is low. Ranks and leadership are both full of deadwood, sycophants and the underqualified. Best and brightest don't stay long.

Parachute out the old dogs. Hire some people from startups, tech industry. Get fresh thinking, especially at the senior leadership level, and in marketing. Hire the best, give them the resources to flourish, and incentivise them to do their best. Invest in the future, in innovation, in new markets. Reward risk taking, inspired failure and new ideas.

Great, so far!

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Packaging in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Packaging in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Mattel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People and work life balance are great!

Cons

Creative culture could improve -

Know what is happening below your level.

great company

I worked at Mattel (more than 10 years)

Pros

the people are amazingly talented.

Cons

I can't really think of many negatives about working there!

Mattel Photos