Mattress Firm

Updated October 16, 2014
3.6

Mattress Firm CEO Steve Stagner
Steve Stagner

Pros
  • Stable employement, opportunity to make good money (in 14 reviews)

• Great training program that will definitely take you out of your comfort zone (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours which does not provide a good work-life balance for a mother like me (in 52 reviews)

• Work/Life Balance is a challenge with long hours; average shift is 10-11 hours (in 77 reviews)

More Highlights

ASM

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work environment and support from upper management!

Cons

Long hours...don't have much time outside of work 5 days out of the week

Awesome Company

Current Employee - Manager On Duty in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager On Duty in Denver, CO

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (less than an year)

Pros

After a few bad experiences on the Denver market I applied at Mattress Firm, to be frank I was skeptical but since a friend was working there I gave it a shot.
    Long story short this company BLEW ME AWAY, the management team is great, with a few exceptions EVERYBODY has great energy, since is a company who is growing really fast the opportunities are endless. Money is great, benefits are acceptable, I brought a friend to join the company and he is as happy as me too. totally recommend it.

Cons

Cant find many cons because since is a company who is still adjusting from franchised to corporate things are changing fast and that some times bring some problems but they quickly fix them.

Keep the hard work and the great job you all are doing

Fast paced with plenty of opportunities to grow!

Current Employee - Area Manager
    Current Employee - Area Manager

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Mattress Firm has a great training process that really makes you a Sleep Expert! There is plenty of opportunity to grow with the company and to make good money. It is truly being part of a family when you join the MFRM team!

Cons

It can be difficult to find a work-life balance during the busy summer seasons. The hours can make it hard to change that, but all retail jobs are that way to a point.

Provide constant feedback...Both strengths and opportunities. We cannot grow if we aren't showing and helping.

Great Company

Current Employee - Area Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Upward Mobility. Professional Compensation. Positive/Professional Work Environment.

Cons

Work/Life Balance. Long retail hours including weekends and holidays.

I worked at Mattress Firm

Pros

It seems like a company where if you work hard and are ambitious you can get what you want out of it. Everything seems pretty honest and up front and they train you well. Excited to learn more about it.

Cons

I've heard about a formula applied to vacation hours that may cause you to lose money, in a way. Hopefully it's more fair once I get into it.

Keep up the good work

Long hours, not worth the pay

I worked at Mattress Firm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a simple job with a lot of downtime. A lot of the people are very fun and nice. With a good district manager, upward mobility might be easier.

Cons

There are very long hours that extend during the holidays to sometimes 40 hour weekends (Fri-Sun) and depending on the traffic in your district can mean no extra money for that time. A lot of the hours you work alone, which in my opinion is not great for morale. No weekends off.

Consider a more flexible scheduling policy and adjust commission structure based on the traffic in the district.

This sales job leaves a lot to be desired

Current Employee - MOD
    Current Employee - MOD

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1. You have a job. 2. If you enjoy selling mattresses, its fun helping people. 3. Training is decent. 4. You will make friends.

Cons

The long hours are brutal. Many days during the month are 13 hour work days. It can be very lonely in the store with few or no customers several days of the week. In my case, pay is ridiculously low for the hours worked. Depending on customer traffic, one location can be vastly different than another, and so will your paycheck....company employees earnings are made up of the "haves" and "have nots". Turnover is extraordinary. No life balance. The company is your life, and that's what they want.

Be careful of over promising and under delivering earnings to potential employees. Don't be deceptive when trying to "sell" us to come work for you. Be honest about the working hour commitment you require.

You'll be fine if you like Kool-Aid

Current Employee - Store Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay for the amount of work you do, great for self-motivators, most peers are interested in helping you if they can, good beginners sales training

Cons

Nepotism, Long hours, no work-life balance, boring for long stretches of time, associates get very little feedback from management, team work not taken into account, management only cares about numbers

Actually care about your employees, instead of just pretending to do so

Good environment but works better for someone in the single life.

Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Savannah, GA

I worked at Mattress Firm full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Mattress Firm is a great place to start a career out in sales. The retail hours are better for someone who do not have children mainly if they are young. Another good thing are some of the perks of winning cash, gift cards, electronics and many other things. But this was working for a franchise not the corporation.

Cons

A great deal of driving is required because you will never work at the same location until you are promoted to be an assistant manager or a manager of a store.

New team members who are making sells during their training period should get some type of perk for doing those sells.

No work life balance at all! Managers ask us to NOT give sale price to people all the time.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Plenty of time to your self. Other employees are generally pretty close because we are all in the same rough situation.

Cons

At least two days week you are alone and no break time no lunch, just ten plus hours of you trying to meet budgets that they just throw darts at to get. Sometimes way too high and sometimes far too low. Seems like very poor upper management not knowing how to trend a budget.

Go to salary pay scale, loose the commission, lower prices by 20% and truly be the low price leader. Give all employs a rotating schedule that gets everyone a weekend a month and maybe one addition Sunday. Use trends to set budgets so that it is fair to all stores and all employees and it makes sense!