Mattress Firm Reviews

466 reviews filtered by
3.6
Mattress Firm CEO Steve Stagner
Steve Stagner

Pros
  • You can make good money if you are good at your job and in a good store (in 17 reviews)

• Mattress Firm has a great training process that really makes you a Sleep Expert (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • It can be difficult to find a work-life balance during the busy summer seasons (in 53 reviews)

• Work/Life Balance is a challenge with long hours; average shift is 10-11 hours (in 80 reviews)

1. Awesome job.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Valdosta, GA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Valdosta, GA

I have been working at Mattress Firm (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great job but not easy. Very rewarding with promising opportunities. Close to my first 10k monthly paycheck.

Cons

Growing fast so there are some growing pains. But I love the vision and values.

Advice to Management

The MAX software needs more speed!!

2. Great Company, great culture, great opportunities.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time

Pros

Training, and employee development is excellent here. Positive work environment and positive company culture. Plenty of opportunities to make money.

Cons

Hours could become kind of long.

3. Manager on duty

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time

Pros

Getting to work with public

Cons

No inter state travel

Best Career Choice I've Ever Made!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Mattress Firm is an excellent company to work for! I love the people and the culture; it feels like family. I did not go to SFA or come from Atlanta. I am not friends with the CEO or part of any clique. I have worked very hard during my time at MFRM and hard work is recognized and rewarded by management. I have loved every bit of my time at Mattress Firm, thus far, and plan to be here for many more years to come! This is my home and my family and there is no where else I'd rather work! This is a great company to be part of. It's a growth company with a dynamic culture!

Cons

No real maternity leave program. You have to use your vacation time and short term disability. Hoping they make a change to this soon now that we have more female executives!

Apr 17, 2015Vice President Talent Management

Happy 8 years! Hopefully you are going to be taking your 8 day Rejuven8 Sabbatical soon! Thanks for your review and it's awesome to hear you are so happy with your career choice. On the maternity ... More

6. Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Mattress Firm

Pros

Great company. Closed on major holidays so you will get to enjoy family time.

Cons

Overall the pay is great, but if you have troubles with budgets you only get paid twice a month with your bonuses being on the 15th and that has to stretch you until the end of month.

Advice to Management

none

Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Mattress Firm

Pros

-Does a great job recruiting those fresh out of college in an economy where its hard to find a job
    -Great transition from low-wage big box retail (best buy, walmart, target) to a more professional SALES setting
    -Develops sales, communcation and marketing skills that can be useful in ANY future job
    -Room for advancement if you are in the Houston market

Cons

-Long Hours for those with families (Hard to balance life if you have kids unless your hubby/wife is a stay at home parent)
    -Saturday morning meetings
    -Some locations are slow but you can work your way up
    -Mattress One as a competitor

Advice to Management

Time to change up your advertising

Apr 17, 2015Vice President Talent Management

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a review and for your balanced feedback! We appreciate you!

8. Good Company, I hope they are paying attention to 5yr forecast

Current Employee - Mattress Firm Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Mattress Firm Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time

Pros

Plenty of corporate money (for now), meaning lots of acquisitions and career progression*. Great Values, Nice Mission, mostly realistic market expectations and the majority of the company is genuine.
    -Good benefits
    -Pay can be good, are you a good sales professional...?

Cons

*Progression is if you drink the kool-aid. If you speak business realism, nothing negative, just market facts, you are automatically negative and it is a unavoidable stain mark.
    -Problem with "faking it until you make it" Many people have good work ethic and put in the work, however, many training are very robotic and for a "fun" atmosphere, you can tell many people have to fake this type of behavior or "culture fit" as MFRM calls it, to stay with the company. It is sad that they feel like they can't be themselves without fear of reprisal or job security.
    -Not utilizing who you have. There are many opportunities but jobs are still based on the good 'ol boy system. (Corporate America) I, for example, have many ideas that will grow our associates which will grow the company. 68% of customers won't buy again, that tells you there is a lot of room for training. I am former military and wrote public policy and it feels like MFRM wants people right from college and have them on a step sales process without thinking. Obviously people need to have sales ability and people skills or they wont be successful in any sales career, mind you.

Advice to Management

Honestly, there is too much to list. I believe that the expansion is too fast and the amount of corporate employees (TX) is too little to handle it. Most of marketing and technology is outsourced. I understand that you have to strike while the IR calls for it, however, focus on the ROI and retention in both employees and guests and then expand.

Also, a program I was wanting to launch, a career guidance counselor program, one person per market to assist in HR related tasks and true career development/retention bonus programs, AOG (areas of growth), personal development as well. They will have an office at the DC and travel everyday to them via appt. Super simple. I have faith in the company and wish I was my brain was used.

Intro sales training is a great mold. This could become a great company shortly if the right steps are taken. I am on board, working hard, until a better opportunity arises, MFRM or another.

9. Manager On Duty

Current Employee - Manager On Duty in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager On Duty in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are my favorite thing, due to my medical condition. You're able to meet some fun people in the workplace.

Cons

The hours are long and if you're not used to it, consider the 10+ hours you work Monday - Saturday. This plus into your work and life balance. The pay is pretty low for the amount of time and work you put into your position, you'll get maybe about $11/hour. The training should be more extensive once you're put on the sales floor.

Advice to Management

There should be more shifts, instead of one that is open to close. Also, increase the pay. Your market share is increasing and compensating your employees should as well.

10. Retail Sales Associate

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A company with great integrity in sales. Many tools to help us develop and succeed. Houston based, and American's #1 sleep retailer. Carries quality products and stands behind what they offer.

Cons

Not family friendly. Promotions based primarily on who you know. Long hours. Lags in catching up to competitor's trickery. Stores too close together.

Advice to Management

Hire more competent IT staff. Work on morale in stores. Offer more aggressive products, not just a top-heavy selection of high-end product. Compensate better for low-end products.

Apr 17, 2015Vice President Talent Management

First off, thanks for your 10+ years with MFRM! We appreciate your dedication to the company. I also thank you for leaving a balanced review and advice to management.

Mattress Firm is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Area Manager
    Current Employee - Area Manager

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is great, we are a big family. The work isn't that hard, and you have down time if you like to read or something like that. A lot of growth opportunities as the company is growing nationwide very rapidly.

Cons

The hours are long, you have to work weekends/holidays. Once you get into Area Management, you don't work as much as sales associates but you get paid the same. It gets very hard to sit in a store for 10 hours a day and you might not see a single person, so making friends with your co-workers is a must!

Advice to Management

Change the pay structure for Area Managers. Turnover can become high when the monetary motivation is not there.

Mar 30, 2015Vice President Talent Management

First off, thanks for your 3+ years of service to MFRM! We appreciate your dedication and leadership as an Area Manager. I also appreciate you taking time to leave what you see as the pros and cons ... More