Mattress Firm

Updated December 19, 2014
3.6

Mattress Firm CEO Steve Stagner
Steve Stagner

Pros
  • You can make good money if you are good at your job and in a good store (in 17 reviews)

• Mattress Firm has a great training process that really makes you a Sleep Expert (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • It can be difficult to find a work-life balance during the busy summer seasons (in 53 reviews)

• Work/Life Balance is a challenge with long hours; average shift is 10-11 hours (in 80 reviews)

More Highlights

Simple one day contract work (hold a sign outside)

Former Employee - Outside Sign Holder (Promotions) in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Outside Sign Holder (Promotions) in Austin, TX

I worked at Mattress Firm as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The marketing team that hired me was very professional. I would recommend any teenager looking for extra cash try this.

Cons

The cons had nothing to do with Mattress Firm. However, it is hot outside and there won't be any refreshments given to you so bring your own.

Simply make sure that all teenagers hired to hold your signs have access to water.

Easy job with a potential high payout.

I have been working at Mattress Firm

Pros

Easy job, with potential to make a great living. Great training provided by the company to help you succeed.

Cons

Work-Life balance. This is more of a con for those with families. You work every weekend with typically two weekdays off. 10 hour work days except on Sundays (which are 6 hour days). You work all holidays except thanksgiving day and christmas day and whenever there is any holiday of any kind you arr expected to work extended hours.

Solid Company

Current Employee - Area Manager
    Current Employee - Area Manager

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fair Compensation, Understanding employers, Good Benefits

Cons

Weak 401(k) match for such a large company, Very long hours, Hard to project earnings from month to month and year to year.

Have higher level managers take a longer view of associate performance. Not just look at one period of sales before making store changes.

Store Manage

Current Employee - Store Manager in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Mattress Firm

Pros

Great culture. Room for growth. Opportunity to make great income. A strong sense of empowerment as an employee.

Cons

Work/life balance. It is retail so you have to understand the hours. You work while everyone else is off.

Attempt to give employees half days (one employee comes in earlier, leaves earlier. The other comes in later, closes the store). I feel this would greatly decrease the turnover rate.

Great place to get in to sales

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Mattress Firm

Pros

Awesome company to work for. Pay is good for the hours that you work

Cons

Can be in the store alone which can be boring

Awesome place to work!!

I have been working at Mattress Firm

Pros

The teamwork is awesome! Everyone works together and there is constant encouragement!
    Company goals aren't unattainable by any means.
    There is plenty of room to go up!
    The downtime is awesome for educational purposes!
    The pay is pretty good and it's salary unless you work overtime.
    You make commission too! If you beat your salary in commission, you make that money instead! No brainer here, folks!
    Upper management actually listens to your concerns and helps in anyway they can!

Cons

The downtime can be a bit much. Lots of time to yourself.
    The hours are retail hours. What did you expect, though?
    ...I can't really think of anything else

Maybe shorten hours of operation or split shifts. Other than that, keep it up! I love my career!

New mattress

I have been working at Mattress Firm

Pros

Great friendly staff; great place to shop

Cons

Not a large enough selection

None

I love working with people I'm excited to see every day!

Current Employee - District Manager in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - District Manager in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I started with Mattress Firm 7 years ago as a referral of a friend who had worked here for two years at that point. It began as a means to earn a good income, but after 3 short months it became very clear to me that what was available was a career.

In my time I have been given the opportunity to work for and with some of the most passionate and talented business leaders and coworkers I've ever meet. The growth and opportunity for advancement is unreal! I've seen this company grow from just over 400 locations to over 2000.

I have worked in both large markets where there are 50 stores and opened small markets of one store and have been there to see them grow into 12+ locations. The one thing that stays the same in every place across this company is the people. The truly compassionate, caring, team driven culture. This is something I LOVE about Mattress Firm and the reason I get excited every day I step through the doors!

Cons

It's retail, I knew what I was getting into with the hours and weekends. As long as you understand that it won't be a con. As you progress with the company that becomes less of an issue.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Mnanger On Duty in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Mnanger On Duty in Miami, FL

I have been working at Mattress Firm

Pros

Okay base pay
    Great co-workers
    Big company but with a small company mentality
    2 days off
    Always opening new stores

Cons

Long hours (10 hours per day)

Great Place to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My biggest Pro, is the fact that I have very litter experience in the world of sales. This company changed that for me and I learned a tremendous amount. Enough that I was able to establish a career with this great company!

Great atmosphere to work in! Worked a lot of different jobs and I have never worked for a company where the culture was so important!

You control how much money you make. The more you sell, the more you make. Just that simple. If you don't like what you're making, figure out what you can do to change that, and when you do, you can make more money right then and there. Not a year or two later. It can happen as soon as the next month, as long as you put the effort and time into making yourself better, you will make more money.

You also can move up in the company quickly. Most jobs you have to be there for 10+ years before you can get a promotion. That's not the case here as they do a lot of internal hiring to those who are qualified, or determined to advance with in the company.

I've had the chance to work with some of the greatest bosses, that I've ever worked with as I moved up through this company.

Cons

This is retail, so there are always some kind of cons. Not everyone will like the job but that's the world of retail. I knew what I was getting into with this job, so I never complained about the usual issues people complain about when it comes to retail.

I won't say I was never frustrated, but I never let the "cons" change my opinion about this company.

To me the "cons" did NOT even come close to out weighing the pros.

Just keep doing what you're doing. Make the atmosphere fun and enjoyable. Help out your co-workers when they need it and help them succeed. When they succeed, you succeed.

Mattress Firm Response

Dec 3, 2014Vice President Talent Management

Hey Houston! Great outlook on the fact that all jobs have pros and cons- glad MFRM is providing more positives than negatives for you. Thanks for your review and for your 3+ years dedication to the ... More