Mattress Firm

Updated March 3, 2015
3.6

Mattress Firm CEO Steve Stagner
Steve Stagner

Pros
  • You can make good money if you are good at your job and in a good store (in 17 reviews)

• Mattress Firm has a great training process that really makes you a Sleep Expert (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • It can be difficult to find a work-life balance during the busy summer seasons (in 53 reviews)

• Work/Life Balance is a challenge with long hours; average shift is 10-11 hours (in 80 reviews)

More Highlights

13 Years and counting

Current Employee - Area Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fun work environment, and great culture.

Cons

Long Hours, a ton of down-time.

Not every "Holiday" warrants extended hours.

Great Company and you can make a nice living

Former Employee - Various in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Various in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Mattress Firm (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you're willing to work for it and have talents with sales and working with people, you can be rewarded financially and with plenty of opportunities. Great culture and the company has a charitable mindset.

Cons

Retail hours and you have more opportunities if you are willing to move.

Keep creating an enthusiastic environment because it's working!

Amazing culture with a lot of development and growth!

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My top three things about this position & or company is the training provided, company culture, and growth/promotion opportunities. Training is never ending and is ultimately up to you to take advantage of. If you do so, you will be successful and the promotions will come to correlate with the vast amount of growth. Lastly, the people are amazing. It is such a diverse company with like minded individuals that are positive and outgoing.

Cons

Some would say the hours but if you know what it takes to be successful, then you know that 50 hours is a light schedule.

Keep being positive and continue to learn from your peers and employees!

Best company I've ever worked for and I've worked for A LOT of companies!

Current Employee - Area Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is amazing. My coworkers are like my work family and I've never made more collaborative relationships anywhere. The benefits are awesome: medical, dental, vision, and 401k. There's plenty of opportunity to move up as the company grows. The management is awesome and recognizes and trains to help you be better. The pay is great, salary plus commission helps you make a ton of money!

Cons

The hours are the main complaint but you're well aware of this prior to being hired. I'm used to them and rarely have issues. I've worked way longer hours at previous jobs.The commissions make up for it!

Keep setting the same culture! I've never worked for a more motivating company that rewards with recognition. The palooza's and district training is amazing along with the new hire training as well. This company will keep growing because it's employees are happy and there's tons of opportunity to move up.

Great Sales Training.

I have been working at Mattress Firm

Pros

People, training, allot invested in knowledge of employees

Cons

Hours are awful, all weekends and holidays mandatory, no family life

Split shifts, offer rotating weekends and holidays

Worked with the company for 3 years

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Culture, not straight commission, extensive training program, opportunities to advance within company.

Cons

Long hours with lots of down time, must work every weekend.

Offer a more flexible weekend schedule.

Great company

Former Employee - Mattress Firm Store Manager
    Former Employee - Mattress Firm Store Manager

I worked at Mattress Firm full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Independent. Good management, good pay opportunity.

Cons

Poor benefits. Very little work life balance

Let people have a weekend off every now and then

Mattress Firm Manager

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time

Pros

Easy to get business. They have the best products with the best service. Making people happy is easy and therefore this job has little if any stress. Great pay. Easy to move up or move laterally. Culture and general attitude is fantastic.

Cons

Operations and Sales are under different chains of command. This leads to a disconnect between the two departments. Operations has no vested stake in making things happen to please a customer. They get attitudes with you when you ask for help. If it does not fit into a neat little box they do not want to do it. With some of the issues we have with our POS software you would think they would be more willing and understanding, but they are not and this is most likely due to their lack of accountability to anyone in Store Management within their area of operation. It creates an US and against THEM mentality.

Sharing command is never a good idea. Put your District Managers over the Operation Managers.

Outstanding growth opportunities you just have to go out and get them

Current Employee - Manager On Duty in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager On Duty in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Rapidly and aggressively growing company searching for the best talent. With the rapid store growth, there is a ton of opportunity for Assistant Store Manager/Store Manager positions and more importantly a consistent location. The training program, Flight School, is a two week crash course on the Mattress Firm culture and provides a great foundation preparing you for your time in the stores. Internal and external culture creates a calm work environment. The pay is decent for their "entry level position." While training, non commission, you'll earn $15/hr. When you pass your commission test, you'll make an annual draw that you do not have to pay back. Overall, an outstanding place to work with plenty of opportunity.

Cons

You do experience long hours. The hours Monday through Saturday are 10am-8pm and Sunday 12pm-6pm. You are expected to work 5 days a week with bell to bell shifts. There also is a considerable amount of downtime in most stores, with can be a pro as well, but for some a con. As a Manager on Duty, you will not have a central location and will be required to move around stores in your district.

Split lower traffic days into shift work. A 10a-6p shift and a 12p-8p.

If you are looking for an opportunity to get into real estate an you have no experience, apply to lease administration!

Current Employee - Lease Administration in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Lease Administration in Houston, TX

I have been working at Mattress Firm

Pros

Lease admin dept is great for people with no experience. The manager loves me to train people with the desire to learn real estate.

Cons

If you have experience don't bother applying. They don't want people with experience and ideas.

They are highly unorganized and have favorites in the lease admin dept. They are overworked and understaffed and the managers don't care.