Mattress Firm

Updated September 15, 2014
3.7

Mattress Firm CEO Steve Stagner
Steve Stagner

Pros
  • Stable employement, opportunity to make good money (in 12 reviews)

• Amazing training program, very tight knit family atmosphere and some great money to be made (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Biggest challenge is definitely the lack of a work-life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Work/Life Balance is a challenge with long hours; average shift is 10-11 hours (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

Very great company to work for.

Current Employee - Manager On Duty  in  Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Manager On Duty in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time for less than a year

Pros

They have an outstanding training program, resources, and individual specialists to give you the ammo and knowledge needed to be very successful.

Cons

The hours can be long and tedious, but definitely manageable. I am single parent and I am able to balance work and home life very well despite of.

Our operating system can use some work on.

Store Manager

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Absolutely loved my time at Mattress firm! such a team environment and management is always there to help and support your growth and development !

Cons

Long hours and mostly work holidays.

Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great development opportunities, and fast-track growth in the company.

Cons

Long hours, late nights, no weekends

Choose upper management based on qualifications and professionalism...not based on who your friend is.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Job to build your professional skills in sales and management

Current Employee - Manager On Duty  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Manager On Duty in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoy working for this company because for a recent graduate it provides valuable experience for someone fresh into the professional workforce. I didn't consider myself the salesman type when I first start working the company, they provide multiple tools for you to get familiar with products as well as how to service guests.

During my time in training I could tell that the people that had more experience were willing to help me get more comfortable. They are all around good people to work with. I also like the fact that management has an open door policy. If senior management is not in the store, they can be reached by phone or email.

The idea of a salaried position struck my interest as well. as a trainee you will get paid a nice hourly wage but once that you and management feel that you are ready you will be in a salaried position.

Just like working anywhere if you show interest and want to be there you can always make it into a great situation.

Cons

Just like any other retail job you wont have weekends off, they make that very clear in training. but once you're selling you will notice that weekends are big days to make money. You can request a Saturday or Sunday off but if the schedule doesn't allow it for some reason forget it.

Be prepared to attend early Saturday meetings some starting as early as 7:45am and them going into a full open to close shift after. These meetings aren't every Saturday but they happen with as little as a weeks notice.

In Training and as an MOD you will be required to travel to different store locations as needed (this can be a pro to some and a con to others)

recently the senior vice president and other top executives had a chance to visit stores in different states. This would be nice to see more often.

A great place to work and grow

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time for less than a year

Pros

The training the company provides is amazing. The environment is so positive and encouraging. The pay is great and the opportunity for advancement is wonderful. It's the most fun I've ever had at work.

Cons

The hours can be long and working every weekend is somewhat annoying.

I'm very satisfied with my immediate supervisors and currently wouldn't ask them to change anything.

AAAAAA MAZING

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Central, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Central, IL

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time for more than a year

Pros

Mattress Firm has a Great Work Environment
    Tons Of Fun
    This is a company where Incredible Income / Promotion Opportunities exist for everyone, at any level, and every position

Cons

Mattress Firm has Typical Retail Hours from 10a - 8p that can be long sometimes, especially on the Weekends But everything about the schedule is known upfront so we know what we are getting in to. Well worth it for the income potential available

Keep up the Great Work!

Great Place to start a sales career

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Mattress Firm full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This is a great place to start a sales career. Training is extensive and ongoing. A lot of truly nice individuals work here. Opportunity for advancement is available to all. Enjoyed my time there very much.

Cons

Its retail, which comes without work/life balance. Long hours, weekends and holidays are part of the game. If they can ever get a true balance they will indeed be a formidable company

Your a good company, that can easily be a great company. As with any company, weed out the bad (you have some out there) and promote the good. Worked with many, very good DM's and one truly bad one. Overall, very good experience, won't judge the company on one bad apple.

Mattress Firm us am amazing company who cares for their employees, their customers, and the community

Current Employee - District Manager  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - District Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time for more than a year

Pros

I LOVE the culture, the whole Mattress Firm experience is all about their people. Never satisfied, always improving!

Cons

Work/ Life balance. Long retail hours- great rewards if focused. Not much else to ad.
    #Ilovethisplace

Keep on doing what your doing!

M.O.D.

Current Employee - Manager On Duty  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Manager On Duty in Madison, WI

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time for less than a year

Pros

You work 46 hours a week but they are pretty good about working around your schedule if you have important things you have to attend to. Most of the time spent is in the store of with one other co-worker. You have a lot of time to yourself which isn't necessarily bad.

Cons

You work 10 hour days everyday you work. Sometimes it's low stress, sometimes it's very high stress. Extremely hard to make any money from commission.

Better communication between Managers/Area Managers/District Managers

An overwhelmingly positive company culture that fosters unlimited individual success.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company culture is fantastic; I have only worked for small businesses in the past, and have been blown away by the positive, encouraging culture and the enthusiasm it helps build within each of us individual team members. We are truly empowered to be the manager of our own business when we are in our stores. The training program is amazing & amply prepares you to be one step ahead of the competition and really be a sleep expert, not just a sales person, in what felt like almost overnight (OK a couple of months). The company is focused on honesty & transparency, and it reflects in the way we take care of guests and employees alike. There is so much encouragement and room to grow anywhere you want to within the world's largest retailer in it's industry - the potential for growth is endless. The benefits (health, retirement, etc.) were better than I expected (in comparison to what I'm used to my husband's job offering), although this is my first job with benefits so they all seem good! The corporate company also focuses heavily on community involvement and fundraising for their Foundation, which is seeking a cure for Pancreatic Cancer. As a dedicated volunteer this is one more aspect that won me over completely. The perfect place to work if you want to have fun at work, are independently motivated, and get all the support you need from a huge national network. I absolutely love my new job. I should mention Mattress Firm and I share the same birthday (exactly), so I think it was meant to be!

Cons

The company strongly encourages taking vacation time, being with family, etc etc, but the biggest adjustment in the first few months was definitely the schedule. They are not the longest hours I've worked in retail, but open to close every day, and no split shifts. Once I have accrued vacation, I think I will feel a little more ease in finding the family time when I really need it, but the balance is doable, it just took some getting used to, and I really don't feel like the hours are all that inconvenient. I used to work 1-2 hours later at night than I do now, however! The other con would be that if you aren't self-motivated, this is not the place for you - we work two to three ten hour days all by ourselves, and have another manager on-duty over weekends when it is busier.

Worked for Mattress Firm? Contribute to the Community!