Mattress Firm Reviews

445 reviews filtered by
3.5
Mattress Firm CEO Steve Stagner
Steve Stagner

Pros
  • You can make good money if you are good at your job and in a good store (in 17 reviews)

• Mattress Firm has a great training process that really makes you a Sleep Expert (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • It can be difficult to find a work-life balance during the busy summer seasons (in 53 reviews)

• Work/Life Balance is a challenge with long hours; average shift is 10-11 hours (in 80 reviews)

Awesome Company

I have been working at Mattress Firm

Pros

Invests in training and screening process !! Gives you a clear path to grow and make plenty of money. Growing fast from coast to coast. Best company I have ever worked for

Cons

Long hours need to work on a more balanced work day

Pay on written not finalized

Mar 30, 2015Vice President Talent Management

Thanks for leaving the review about our "Awesome Company!" We think you're awesome!

One of the top companies to work for!

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people are so friendly and are really there to help you advance in your career.

Cons

Some customers you get can be a bit racy.

N/A

Mar 30, 2015Vice President Talent Management

Thanks for taking time to leave a review!

Great Company and you can make a nice living

Former Employee - Various in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Various in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Mattress Firm (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you're willing to work for it and have talents with sales and working with people, you can be rewarded financially and with plenty of opportunities. Great culture and the company has a charitable mindset.

Cons

Retail hours and you have more opportunities if you are willing to move.

Keep creating an enthusiastic environment because it's working!

Mar 30, 2015Vice President Talent Management

Thanks St. Louis for the review! We appreciate you taking the time to leave us some feedback and hope all is well in your world today!

Amazing culture with a lot of development and growth!

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My top three things about this position & or company is the training provided, company culture, and growth/promotion opportunities. Training is never ending and is ultimately up to you to take advantage of. If you do so, you will be successful and the promotions will come to correlate with the vast amount of growth. Lastly, the people are amazing. It is such a diverse company with like minded individuals that are positive and outgoing.

Cons

Some would say the hours but if you know what it takes to be successful, then you know that 50 hours is a light schedule.

Keep being positive and continue to learn from your peers and employees!

Mar 30, 2015Vice President Talent Management

It's awesome to hear you're having a great experience at MFRM and are enjoying the training, culture and promotion opportunities! Thanks so much for your enthusiasm for the company and keep on ... More

Best company I've ever worked for and I've worked for A LOT of companies!

Current Employee - Area Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is amazing. My coworkers are like my work family and I've never made more collaborative relationships anywhere. The benefits are awesome: medical, dental, vision, and 401k. There's plenty of opportunity to move up as the company grows. The management is awesome and recognizes and trains to help you be better. The pay is great, salary plus commission helps you make a ton of money!

Cons

The hours are the main complaint but you're well aware of this prior to being hired. I'm used to them and rarely have issues. I've worked way longer hours at previous jobs.The commissions make up for it!

Keep setting the same culture! I've never worked for a more motivating company that rewards with recognition. The palooza's and district training is amazing along with the new hire training as well. This company will keep growing because it's employees are happy and there's tons of opportunity to move up.

Mar 30, 2015Vice President Talent Management

So glad to hear we've made the top of your Best Company you've worked for list! We appreciate your work as an Area Manager in Austin and thank you for your feedback!

13 Years and counting

Current Employee - Area Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fun work environment, and great culture.

Cons

Long Hours, a ton of down-time.

Not every "Holiday" warrants extended hours.

Mar 6, 2015Vice President Talent Management

13 Years!!! Woo hoo! Thanks so much for your commitment to MFRM and thanks for the review!

8. If you are looking for an opportunity to get into real estate an you have no experience, apply to lease administration!

Current Employee - Lease Administration in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Lease Administration in Houston, TX

I have been working at Mattress Firm

Pros

Lease admin dept is great for people with no experience. The manager loves me to train people with the desire to learn real estate.

Cons

If you have experience don't bother applying. They don't want people with experience and ideas.

They are highly unorganized and have favorites in the lease admin dept. They are overworked and understaffed and the managers don't care.

Mar 30, 2015Vice President Talent Management

We're sorry you did not have a good experience and it's disheartening to hear your feedback. If you want to discuss further, please reach out to me at 713.651.2029.

9. One of the Best Companies to work for!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Lawton, OK
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Lawton, OK

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I currently work for Mattress Firm and I thoroughly enjoy everything this company has to offer like amazing pay compensation, promotion opportunities, training conferences and a relaxing professional work environment all make me wake up in the morning excited to go to work. The work environment is what make all the difference it is a professional family feel where everyday its like going to work with great friends and even the management takes the time to acknowledge all the great team players that go in to make it a fantastic place to work. My first bonus pay check was amazing and if you work hard and have fun that monthly bonus check which we call the Red Lobster check will get better and provide the life that you can live comfortably on. I do and I will probably retire from this job because its the best Company I personally have ever worked for.

Cons

I would say the only thing that I personally could think of is that you don't get the weekends off and if you are not use to long hours then it will be an adjustment.

Mar 30, 2015Vice President Talent Management

Thanks so much Oklahoma for leaving a review! Glad to hear you have had a great experience and are getting some lobster paydays! Keep up the great work!

10. Amazing company to work for

Current Employee - Area Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for almost 3 years and it was best career move I could have made. I have earned several promotions in my time here and had the opportunity to relocate to areas I was interested in moving. Income potential is great with all the tools Mattress Firm has to work with. The culture is amazing and the company is very active in charitable works.

Cons

It is retail hours, but very flexible with scheduling. At times you may wait hours in between customers and you need to be able to maintain energy when someone comes in.

Mar 30, 2015Vice President Talent Management

Helllloooo Salt Lake City! I'm thrilled to hear joining MFRM was the best career move you've made. We're lucky to have such enthusiasm from someone such as yourself!

11. Great company, put in the time/work, you will be rewarded

Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You start out as a MIT (Manager in Training). You will generally be in this position for a month or two, training on Mattress Firm's sales process, culture, and practicing on the sales floor. Once you finish this, you'll be sent to another 3 day training course on everything you should've learned in the last month or so. After this you take your final commission test, and pass, you'll be an MOD (Manager on Duty). In this position you travel around from store to store, and in time, when you prove that you can sell and are a culture fit, you'll be able to move into a store. Generally you're moved into a slower store first, but this is your time to prove yourself. You'll have smaller budgets than larger stores, so there is really no excuses. Make the best of it, keep a positive attitude, and you'll be moved up to bigger and better things.

Each market is different. Everything is different, even the pay. Some markets get paid a base pay of 32,000, while others get 36,000. There are some with other types of pay as well, but the thing to keep in mind is to not even really bother looking at the salary section of this because it'll confuse you, and really wot make sense. Just know you're at least getting $30,000. LOL Bonus structures are different in each market as well, so keep this all in mind, and ask the questions later in your interview if you want.

My favorite part about Mattress Firm is that they won't hire somebody who just has good sales. They have to be a culture fit, and a positive person. By doing this they weeded out the cocky, arrogant, sales people who think they're the best. I have seen so many people come in before their interview and tell me how they're the best and know they'll get the job, and I never see them.

The training is amazing, especially for people with NOOOO sales skills like myself. I came in with no experience, and they taught me everything I needed to know. Now I am one of the top sales people, and I love my job. It couldnt be better.

Cons

The hours can be long, so be prepared for that in the beginning. The hours are 10-8, and 12-6 on Sundays. You'll be there open to close. Put in the time, and you'll eventually get a busier store, and you'll have another person working with you. The days go by much quicker, and since the store is busy, you'll be making money and having fun.

we have a new system that sucks, i don't care what anyone says. It is flawed. BIG TIME.

UPDATE that system... I strongly feel that is should've been perfected before it was even rolled out. Were losing guests over it.

Mar 30, 2015Vice President Talent Management

Wow-- thanks so much for leaving such a detailed review! I'm glad to hear you appreciate our hiring and training practices-it's something we obviously are very proud of and believe it is what makes ... More