Mattress Firm Reviews

Reset
3.5
Mattress Firm CEO Steve Stagner
Steve Stagner

Pros
  • If you are good and land in the right community then you can make good money (in 17 reviews)

• It provides great training for all employees (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • But Mattress Firm works hard to provide a healthy work/life balance (in 53 reviews)

• Long hours which does not provide a good work-life balance for a mother like me (in 80 reviews)

Amazing Culture

Current Employee - Sales Intern in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Intern in Houston, TX

I have been working at Mattress Firm

Pros

The culture is so laid back and people are actually happy to work here.

Cons

Not many downsides The training is extensive, but they put you in a 5 star hotel so its not that bad.

I love my job!!!

Current Employee - Area Manager in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As the nation's largest retailer, the company is expanding at a fast rate, so the opportunities within the company are endless. Logistics? We have a job for you. Communication? Yup, we have a job for that. Marketing? Yessir! Do you like to travel? We have positions that allows you to do that. Sales? We have a job for that, too.
    Their benefits are the best that I've seen. Their training is very in depth and thorough, and the support that you get from everyone around you is tremendous.
    You not only gain a new career, you gain a family. I consider everyone I've come into contact with, in my time here, to be a part of my Mattress Firm family. I've had store managers go above and beyond for their customers, their co-workers, and their bosses. The passion in a lot of these folks is burning strong! Some of my best friendships have been made with this company, as well...

Cons

Just like any other retail position out there, you have longer hours, and you typically work weekends. Work life balance can be tough, but very manageable! Personally, my District Manager does everything in her power to make sure we have a good work life balance in my district.
    Compensation: Each area of the United States pays you differently, based on the cost of living. However, I've noticed that the cost of living is much higher in the Hampton Roads area than where I'm from, but the pay here is less. I'm told that there will also be changes to the area manager compensation, which is less than favored amongst us Area managers.

Advice to Management

Hire more people for the help desk. With the company growing so quickly, we need more tech help. It gets very frustrating when you don't hear back from them on issues that need immediate attention.

3. Buckle up, and get ready for the RIDE!

Current Employee - Area Manager in Panama City Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Panama City Beach, FL

I have been working at Mattress Firm (Less than a year)

Pros

Mattress Firm rewards hard working, self motivated individuals who are determined to achieve excellence. You must be driven, and adapt easily and quickly to change. You will never be so fulfilled while working so hard. For the first time by a national retailer, I was asked to give my goals and expectations to my superior. After which, I was given a timeline for specific actions and accomplishments they needed to see from me, in order for me to continue to grow and achieve my personal career goals. After successfully completing my part of this deal, they did the unthinkable. I was actually rewarded, promoted multiple times (still within my desired career path) AND THEY FOLLOWED THROUGH WITH ALL THE PROMISES I WAS GIVEN FROM DAY ONE.

This is unheard of in my long, mostly sad, and mundane retail sales career of over 17 years. They will have to pry my cold dead hands from this job. I have found my home. Sound like fun? It is. Sound easy? It is not.

FAIR WARNING: This is definitely NOT for the faint of heart. You will WORK. You will also make lifelong friends. You will become part of a HUGE family. (At first it seems very strange, but they actually care!) You will be constantly and continually impressed with the work ethic, culture, and passion of everyone you encounter. From the newest part time help, to the top executives who pay all the bills and make all the decisions... it literally doesn't change. Initially I thought this was a show, or that all these people were just crazy. Over my quick 3 years I assure you I have investigated as much as possible. It is not a production. This is the real deal! MFRM is a FAMILY that extends coast to coast.

Cons

Enjoy life outside of work? Hope not. Your life becomes work, if you want it to. I am sure there are those who will be satisfied clocking their 40 hours and calling it a day. And that is fine too. But if you really fall in love, as I obviously have, you will EAT, SLEEP, DREAM, LIVE, and BREATHE Mattress Firm. This is not a con in my book. But it may be for some. Work/life balance is definitely a challenge, but I just returned from a very nice vacation in which I came back ready to rock and roll. Sadly, I missed it. Still not the worst con I could imagine from a company, I feel valued and needed. Personally, that's worth the price I pay.

Advice to Management

Don't change the culture. Don't change the integrity in which you operate in order to make an extra dollar. Don't stop investing and empowering individuals to operate in a manner that gives them every single tool necessary to achieve personal growth and professional success! Thank you for believing in ME! Keep it FUN!!!

5. Great career opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time

Pros

Culture/People
    Ability to help others - guests and team members
    Growth potential - moving up with in
    Leadership
    Training - alot of training up front and even more throughout my career that has helped me grow and reach my goals!!!

Cons

Hours - but we do close earlier than all competitors and this came from a company survey - so retail hours are long but at least this company wants to give us some time with our family.

Assistant Store Manager

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There were many great things about this position! The most important thing to me was the culture. I loved that it was a team/family environment. In addition to that, the company provides a great training program and you will never feel like you are done learning. Lastly, the growth opportunities are unlimited!

Cons

One con I could think of is that you have times that you can work alone. Just make sure to find things to do and keep yourself busy. That definitely helped me.

7. Retail life

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're good at selling and at a good store, you can easily make anywhere from 40-55k

Cons

If you're at a slow store, days become long and you don't get much more than salary. Long retail hours. You work holidays.

Advice to Management

Work in ways to allow employees to have more than 2 days off at a time. Possibly contests or something similar to allow employees to have 3 day weekends every other month or so

8. Great Place To Learn How To Sell

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Mattress Firm

Pros

Energizing and motivating team sales approach...friendly competition. Lots of recognition for good performance. Surprisingly decent base pay with loads of opps to earn commission, bonuses and SPIFFs. Everyone at the corporate office has started on the sales floor. Lots of room for management training and advancement.

Cons

Retail hours 9:45 AM till 8 PM, and an hour longer on holiday sale days.

9. Mattress Firm is a fun place to work

Current Employee - Mattress Firm Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Mattress Firm Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Mattress Firm

Pros

Fun great culture. Helping people changing lives for the better

Cons

Weekends are a must. However that is when most customers will be shopping.

Advice to Management

Would Try to give a better work life balance. Not so long holiday hours as most shoppers are with their family not in stores

Area Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture is fantastic, leadership is willing to help, pay depends on you what you can earn and the opportunity to advance your career is better then any other company I have worked for.

Cons

You need to know how to budget, because your check amount can very greatly.

Advice to Management

A better bonus structure for store and assistant managers, where they get paid a percentage of top line would be nice.

Great place to work!

I worked at Mattress Firm full-time

Pros

My experience was wonderful since day one. They provided me the trust to perform my duties.

Cons

I can't think of any. Maybe I wanted better pay

Advice to Management

The management style is great, keep up the great work.

Mattress Firm Response

Jun 2, 2015Vice President Talent Management

Thanks for leaving a review! We appreciate it.

RSS Feed </> Embed