Mattress Firm Reviews

Reset
3.5
Mattress Firm CEO Steve Stagner
Steve Stagner

Pros
  • If you are good and land in the right community then you can make good money (in 17 reviews)

• It provides great training for all employees (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • But Mattress Firm works hard to provide a healthy work/life balance (in 53 reviews)

• Long hours which does not provide a good work-life balance for a mother like me (in 80 reviews)

1. Featured Review

I LOVE THIS PLACE!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time

Pros

I have been with Mattress Firm for over 8 years. WOW! I was blown away with the training and opportunities that were at my finger tips.The growth and opportunities are incredible. Earning can be lucrative an the guaranteed draw provides confidence in a commissioned pay scale. The culture here is fantastic! My coworkers have become my close friends and more like a family. The community service involvement makes me proud to represent Mattress Firm in my community.

Cons

This is a retail sales position. If you are looking at any retail position consider that you may have to work Saturdays. Consequently, this is a plus during the week when you can run errands!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great culture and fun work environment.

Mattress Firm Response

Aug 19, 2015 – Vice President Talent Management

Happy 8 years with MFRM-- it's time for your Rejuven8 Sabbatical! Thanks so much for taking time to leave a review- it's awesome to hear you enjoy the growth opportunities, culture and community ... More

Extremely Rewarding Career... I Love this Place!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Opportunity to make a great living for yourself and your family while advancing your knowledge of sales and management. I'm a very competitive person so I enjoy the challenge of sales while competing (in a friendly manner) with my coworkers. Love the people, everyone that I work with genuinely wants to see me progress and help me reach my goals. Since working with the company I have learned more about sales, business management, training / mentoring people, and the ability to analyze the numbers and data more than I ever did at my previous employer where I worked for over 2 years. If you want a career where you can reach new heights quickly while earning a great living for yourself, this is a wonderful place to work. If you are not looking to challenge yourself and are just interested in a 9-5 job don't bother wasting your time. I have worked for the company for almost 2 years now and have been able to pay off all my debt, purchase a new car, purchase an engagement ring, and have been able to, for the first time in my life, put money into savings!

Cons

I find it humorous that most of the complaints on here are regarding the hours. Before joining the company the hours that we are required to work are made very clear and should be no surprise. That being said, the hours can seem long at times but the company understands this and is working at improving work / life balance for its employees. The company recently, reduced our hours by 6 hours a week so I now average a 45 hour work week instead of a 50. They also just rolled out a part-time program in order to help with scheduling or for those interested in only working 30 hours.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! There is a reason why this company is the #1 retailer in bedding and is the fastest growing specialty retailer in the country across all industries. In my past employer, my manager was only a name and here at Mattress Firm he is my mentor, coach, and a good friend.

Can't believe I stumbled into such a great opportunity!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Pros

The people that work here and the culture of those committed to this company are just phenomenal. I never expected work in either sales or retail, but can’t thank the folks who recommended this company to me enough. I literally thank these people, nearly a decade later, every time I get the opportunity to. Very few of my friends think of the company they work for or the people they work with this way and this makes me feel very fortunate to be here. The passion of those committed to making this company great is unlike anything I have seen before. They work incredibly hard to create something does not currently exist and that provides a great benefit to the customer. It is just fun to be a part of. This company requires an entrepreneurial spirit and the drive to be a true sales management professional. It is because of that this company always presents new challenges and provides a very high income potential. I’ve found this environment really brings the best out of a lot of people and it makes for a great way to create a career. The growth potential for both the company and the individual is incredible. Your opportunity to be promoted quickly based on exceptional performance is rare in today’s work environment. During my first five years with the company, I got promoted six different times and went from a trainee to running a multimillion dollar business unit in that time. It doesn’t take a MBA or decades of experience to be successful here and I’m walking proof.

Cons

Quite simply, this is not a job for everyone. You have to be resilient, thick skinned, creative and not afraid of some good old fashioned hard work. It is not a job out of a network sitcom. Retail hours can present challenges and can at times flat out suck. Most jobs that pay well and are demanding will require this however, so you have to be able to make this work. I’ve seen a lot of people flounder if they cannot drive themselves early in their tenure with Mattress Firm. You need to be very confident of yourself and your abilities. Often times you are working alone and your hard work is not praised by others. This is a demanding profession and company. You will fail a lot and your income fluctuates with your sales numbers. Sales is either a really hard job you’ll love or a really easy job you’ll hate. I’ve heard this cliché a hundred times and it is absolutely true. To advance most rapidly, you need to be very flexible in where you’ll work. Long commutes and relocating is the norm. You’re not forced to relocate, but it will most certainly be required if you want to advance rapidly.

Advice to Management

Keep doing bold things and look out for your people.

Everyone in the company makes you feel like you're a part of a family; I love it!

Current Employee - Sales in North Myrtle Beach, Horry, SC
    Current Employee - Sales in North Myrtle Beach, Horry, SC

Pros

Company is growing, so opportunities for growth are there. The company culture is unsurpassed. Compensation is above average.

Cons

Nothing major, but it IS retail hours, and if you've never worked retail, it takes some getting used to.

Advice to Management

The leadership of our company is PHENOMENAL. Readily available and constantly working on helping you grow.

Phenomenal team spirit, employer support, and exponential growth opportunities.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tucson, AZ

Pros

The Nomad region of Mattress Firm has exponential growth opportunities. The management of the Tucson Market has selected an outstanding team and even with the growing pains of being in a new market, the success has far succeeded the issues. This is a company that depends on Values and Performance, but our incredible core values is what truly makes this a wonderful company to work for. Even as a new employee I was valued and our leaders in our region take the time to know who you are and watch your growth.

Cons

The hours are a bit longer than the traditional 8 hour shift. However the opportunity to have financial success is increased with the extra hours.

Advice to Management

Our success here in the Tucson market comes from having an excellent team of passionate people. Our values have allowed us to have exceptional performance.

7. The Growth Potential Is Huge!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Opportunity for upward mobility Full benefits Hands on Training Great Monthly Bonuses The best work culture ever!!!

Cons

Retail hours can be long the first 5 months. No Saturdays off. Have to drive to all storesnot just one.

Advice to Management

Please only hire motivated and energetic people, Noone wants to be stuck working with someone with no drive for success!

I love working for Mattress Frim

Current Employee - Market Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Market Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Growth, Growth, and more Growth!!! With over 800 stores and counting we just went public and are just now opening in Salt Lake City. We plan to have over 20 stores in the valley over the next 24 months!!! We also get to run our stores as if they were our own personal stores. You don't have a boss over your sholder every day and there is a ton of freedom.

Cons

We are currently short staffed, but with our aggressive recruting that should be corrected soon.

Advice to Management

N/A

I am new and already it is a fast paced, exciting, rewarding career.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

It is a GREAT inviorment to spend your time. Not only as an employee but also as a customer of the Mattress Firm. The pay is better then everything else around in Utah. Great Insurance! Opportunity to move up and expand in the company isn't based on senority but on your personal results in the company. If you prove after 6 months of employment that you are better in the Store Manager Position the whomever is there currently, you have a an enourmous opportunity to recieve that position. Bonus Structure is set up to make the employee's happy which inturn will make the company happy! You are not just a number or name in this company. It's a family feel here at work.

Cons

I no longer walk to work. 90 day waiting period for Insurance.

Advice to Management

Stay Fantastic!!!

10. Proud to be part of the Mattress Firm family.

Current Employee - Manager On Duty in West Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Manager On Duty in West Jordan, UT

Pros

Mattress Firm is vastly growing and provides great opportunity to its employees to grow with them. I have just started and can't describe how excited I am for my future with this company.

Cons

I have not encountered any cons with this job and do not see any in the near future. Everyday I am excited to go to work and learn something new.

11. The Best Company I have ever worked for!

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

I have an outstanding employer who actually listines to my questions no matter what they might be . The pay is incredible, the hours are decent, and the uppermanagment opportunity's are limmitless. I have never experinced a company so inviting , just like a family owened buisness .

Cons

You do have to travile, you have to have reliable transportation. You have to work weekends. and work 10 hour shifts.

Advice to Management

Nothing I absolutly love the company and even though I listed cons to me their not cons and I wouldnt change the way they run their company or the way they treat their employees and customers.....

RSS Feed </> Embed