www.mattressfirm.com

Updated January 24, 2015
3.5

Mattress Firm CEO Steve Stagner
Steve Stagner

Pros
  • You can make good money if you are good at your job and in a good store (in 17 reviews)

• Mattress Firm has a great training process that really makes you a Sleep Expert (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • It can be difficult to find a work-life balance during the busy summer seasons (in 53 reviews)

• Work/Life Balance is a challenge with long hours; average shift is 10-11 hours (in 80 reviews)

More Highlights

I love this place! Unlimited opportunities for everyone!

Current Employee - Area Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Mattress Firm

Pros

Great team, fun job, rewarding both financially and personally. We have a great time with awesome teammates. You can grow as much or as little as you want.

Cons

We all work weekends, but this is retail. And we make most of our money on weekends, so it has good points!

Work/life balance - some of the All WOrk weeks seem unnecessary on the lesser holidays.

Largest Mattress retailer in the nation

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Mattress Firm

Pros

Personal growth, atmosphere, company, teammates, core values, growth

Cons

Compensation, hours, computer systems, communication

Consider revamping the compensation packages.

Extremely happy

Current Employee - Assistant Part Time Manager in Jonesboro, AR
    Current Employee - Assistant Part Time Manager in Jonesboro, AR

I have been working at Mattress Firm

Pros

Good hours, great pay, learn a lot about sales and fun people to work with

Cons

none none none none none

none

Candy coated job.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of down time, friendly staff and leadership team, great and fun environment to work in.

Cons

Unfair pay / commission structure especially considering the hours we are forced to work. (10 hour days, 10-8pm.) During major holidays they make us work 6 day work weeks and extend our hours instead of shortening them so we can actually spend time with family.

Given the profit the company makes you should really pay the employees more and shorten the store hours so we can actually see our family once in a while and have quality time.

Company Culture Can't Be Beat!

I have been working at Mattress Firm

Pros

The people are awesome; truly a family
    Excellent training; constant opportunities for continued learning
    Public service; the Mattress Firm foundation & local giving are truly making a difference. Through our efforts I believe we will find a cure for pancreatic cancer.

Cons

Retail hours & working holidays can be an adjustment

Consider a weekend off a month or quarter.

Sales

I worked at Mattress Firm

Pros

Co workers and benefits working with different customers

Cons

Pay is low long hours no work life balance.

Take care of your employees

What ever you want to make of yourself at Mattress Firm, they will help you.

Current Employee - Area Manager in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I started at Mattress Firm in February of 2014 in Nashville Tn market. I told them at the interview there was a possibility that I may be looking to move out of the area soon. We had considered putting our house on the market. I went to work for them, they treated me as a professional from day one. I felt connected to the group very soon. I did well in Nashville but my house sold the day I put it on the market. I told the District managers and they both were "we are sorry to see you go, but we will help you however we can". I decided to go to the Kansas City Market. My District Manager made calls for me, set me up very well as far as making my arrival a warm one. You start as an MOD or Manager of the Day. I worked in the KC market as an MOD for 9 working days. NINE, and was given my own store. Although it was not a very busy store I did the best I could at it and was promoted to a bigger store after 2 months. An opening came up for Area Manager and I asked if I should apply...An area manager usually has between 3 and 4 stores under them. I was encouraged and got the position. This was on November 1st. So in 8 months I went from brand new to Area manager. I have had a great experience. My management team is the best I have ever seen and I am 52 years old. I truly mean that. My district manager is the best people manager I have ever seen and she is great at operations too. Not one time have I had a conversation with her that made me think I was anything other than an equal. You are empowered to handle your business. You are EXPECTED to handle your business. The company philosophy is one of being a close knit group no matter how big the group is. The company is honest, ethical and as best as I can tell, means all of the company mantra. You can make money here. Good Money.....AND if you genuinely care about those around you, and have a teacher or coaches mentality all the while maintaining your own performance, you will be recognized for it......

Cons

Like most people, I wish the salary structure was a bit higher. On average, in order to hit your salary numbers in commissions, you have to sell about $40k per month....but your store may be only a 40k store, and you have your days off.....so your store may hit its numbers and you get bonuses on that. but if you haven't hit your commission/salary break even, you wont get all the bonus. I understand the reasoning for it but it does kind of take a little wind out of your sails.

The continued support to life skills and training should never be abandoned. Employees REALLY appreciate things like going to the ranch in Houston for personal development....The POS system, is really sub par........it may look good on paper but in physical practice, you have to take way too long dealing with system issues....

Current Employee - Store Manager in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Hampton, VA

I have been working at Mattress Firm

Pros

OK base pay of 2,400 a month.
    Lots of good people working for the company

Cons

Very long hours with not much to do
    20% make a lot while the rest suffer
    Constant Micro Management
    Company will lie to consistently
    Favoritism of the highest order
    You must be a ra ra go company guy to get anywhere

Make the store budgets fair so that not just a few stores make money
    Provide incentives to managers of slower stores
    Stop with the pointless 2 hour early morning meetings while still having to work 12 hours at your store that day
    Simplify the hourly wage. No one knows how hourly plus overtime look A and overtime look B and commissions work
    Actually have oversight of DMs and actually talk with your people. I've worked for this company over a year and may have seen my Regional Manager once at a meeting for 2 minutes.

Lots of hours, good opportunities

Current Employee - Store Manager in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Mattress Firm

Pros

Opportunity for growth, above average pay.

Cons

Store movement - DM control

Mattress Firm Response

Jan 12, 2015Vice President Talent Management

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review!

10 years in the bedding business. We were bought out by mattress firm a few months ago.

Current Employee - Salesperson in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Salesperson in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mattress Firm

Pros

Management is very responsive to our needs both personal and business. Is very easy to get days off whenever you need them. The opportunities to advance are endless. They treat the employees very well.

Cons

The delivery system couldn't be worse. I literally don't know and have never met my delivery drivers. I contractually cannot call them. They get paid per stop no matter if they show up or not. It is the worst, most unprofessional idea ever devised. Its hard to believe

The hours are terrible. The retort is that it is retail so that should be expected, and that is true. They don't tell you up front that some weeks you're going to work a few extra hours because of some made up sale.

Micromanage your salespeople less and spend that time fixing the inventory and delivery system. It doesn't matter if I sell a dual adjustable if my delivery promises can't be met due to incompetence.

Mattress Firm Response

Jan 12, 2015Vice President Talent Management

I really appreciate you taking time to leave a review and am glad that you feel management is responsive to your needs and that MFRM treats employees well. It's obviously hard to hear you are so ... More