Mattress Giant

Mattress Giant Reviews

Updated December 6, 2014
Updated December 6, 2014

Michael L. Glazer

company used to be pretty good

Former Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Mattress Giant full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great comission pay plan structure, good training

Cons

long hours, whatever cash you take you were responsible to take to the bank inmedialety

get on the floor sales and get to know the reality of the mattress retail sales

Great learning experience, great career potential, great people, hated sales

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Mattress Giant full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company benefits, cares about employees, works at training and development. Met some of my best friends there and learned a ton that has been extremely useful in other careers.

Cons

Hated sales so the cons didn't have to do with Mattress Firm as much as the nature of the industry. Long hours alone in a store can be frustrating if you are ambitious.

I doubt I could manage it better given the circumstances, but it would be great if employees didn't have to work such long hours in isolation (if at a store that doesn't see many customers)

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Facilities Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Facilities Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Mattress Giant as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I worked with some really nice people. They all knew their jobs so well and really taught me the right way. They also truly cared about balancing my life and my career.

Cons

It was a long commute for me.

Good company

I worked at Mattress Giant

Pros

Awesome management, much better than other Mattress retailers in the area.

Cons

Out of business, worked here for over a year.

Good people are everywhere you go.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Davie, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Davie, FL

I worked at Mattress Giant full-time (more than an year)

Pros

AMAZING training! I loved helping people get a better night's sleep and knowing how to actually do it. The District and Regional Managers were some of the most intelligent people I could have ever had the privilege to work with. Mattress Firm; let's see how you do.

Cons

The Texas corporate office was disconnected to the real world. It truly felt like they were selling us away with their dreadful practices. In the end, that's exactly what they did. They ran us down to the bone and sold it to another company. Dreadful.

It's always all about the people. Love us and we'll take you to the stars.

How the migthy have fallen

Current Employee - Store Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Mattress Giant

Pros

Honestly my experience at Mattress Giant is okay there are very nice people that work here. I have made some very good friends.

Cons

There is no leadership at Matress Giant! The District Mangers have personal issues and are always off. The Regional Manager has really no clue to what he is doing. Telemarketing is done because the Advertising has no clue on what they are supposed to be doing. The head of Marketing is more concerned with making his family rich by selling an new line of beds and protectors.

I am glad to see this Management will be out the door soon! The company is being sold to Mattress Firm. I hope they enjoy their golden parachutes at the expense of the employees. I hope Mattress Firm starts from scratch and does not hire anyone from District Manager up. They clearly have no clue about the Mattress industry and we as employees have suffered. They have destroyed one of the oldest retailers in the business. Chalk another company that Glazer and company has gutted.

THIS COMPANY IS FOR "REAL" SALES PEOPLE

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Mattress Giant

Pros

You should only consider working for Mattress Giant if you are a real sales person. If you are an "order taker" I am sure The Firm is hiring, but if you're a true sales pro you can make a good living.

* Most of the people have a team attitude and work good together
    * Very competitive pricing - we will take almost every deal, won't be beat by price
    * Every deal pays you something - some as much as 12% others as little as 1%. But I average about 8% on all my sales by the end of the week
    * NO DRAW vs COMMISSION. If you have a bad week you still get paid a minimum but you don't have to pay it back like other companies that have a draw
    * The district managers are always willing to help and support you
    * If you need time off for vacation or family or anything you almost always get it

Cons

It's not perfect...

* They don't advertise very much, but they say we're starting again
    * Benefits aren't the best
    * No matching on the 401k

Give us more advertising and we'll take the business down!

one have to experience it to fully understand how this comapny functions.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at Mattress Giant

Pros

good name brands, good quality products simmons, sealy, tempur pedic stearn & fosters kings down . nature sleep, protect- a- bed.

Cons

long lonely hours, the pay structure horrible, constant lies.. pushing the emvelope to the dege of legal and illegal, constantly changing the commission pay at our expense and to their gain, no guarantee pay on an invoice (base on the new pay plan depending on the gross marging you may not get paid) amazing that such large corporation gets away with this. on the brink of bankrupcy seems like every year just to change the pay structure to buy more time all at employees expence.. the sales associates have taken a 35-40 % pay cut since i had started working there.. our bonuses were reduce to a cap out level... they pocket the spiff $$ that vendors like sealy, simmons, stearn&fosters, kingsdown put into place to pay us as an incentive to sell their products,, well mattress giant would take the spiff and keept it for themselves all while not letting us know about this .. constantly insulting the employees intellegence
    by liyng to us. way too many excellent employees have left tihis company for the same reason.. as you can read from all of these reviews these are the facts..they recently sold a portion of their northern market to mattress firm... all the signs are there this company is not going to be around that much longer.. i only hope that the current employees that are going through this mess, get out and leave for a better company.

hope that another investor buys it and can create a much much better working environment. and defenitely way better pay structure. a structure that rewards the sales associate for selling on the price of the item, NOT ON THE GROSS MARGING,regular spiffs put in place by vendors not pocketing our spiff money, better bonuses, better store coverage. build better morale. end of year bonuses...and a thank you for doing what you do (it dosent hurt to say that once and a while

Unsatisfying

Former Employee - District Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Mattress Giant

Pros

Carried lots of brands. Took care of the customer. Good product knowledge training. Good reporting to know how staff is performing.

Cons

Poor financial condition. Old computer systems. No advertising. overly complicated commission system. Very poor staff morale

Can't grow business without advertising

Not very Impressed.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Mattress Giant

Pros

1. Personal time off for family time is always granted.
    2.they have just about the best discounts when it comes to mattress prices.
    3.Management is always very concerned about employees' welfare.

Cons

1.You work an open to close shift everyday (Usually 11 hrs or more).
    2.They never carry out nor implement effective advertising.

To review and modify all comprehensive processes that will allow mattress giant to remain as one of texas's top mattress discount store.