Mattson Technology

Add Photos

Mattson Technology CEO and Director David L. Dutton

David L. Dutton

Technical Support/Technical Publications Department

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat family of hard working
    professionals

ConsCurrently caught in a market downturn.

Pays well, squeezed in a tough market

Senior Process Engineer (Former Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsRelaxed management culture. Small company, so the CEO knows you by name. Good opportunities to advance because of the churn and the layoffs during downturns.

ConsLosing its market share to Asian vendors, having a hard time breaking into new markets. Massive layoffs when the downturn comes, and it comes as sure as the sun rises.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify strong performers, weed out the deadwood before a layoff forces you to do so.

Positive and enjoyed my time there

Prosgood ip portfolio from older systems

Conslack of cash flow and older products

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsLeadership team is professional, talented, and teamwork oriented.

ConsSmall player in the industry. Little control over industry demands, revenue control.

Advice to Senior ManagementBroaden customer base, challenge market share on price point and technology.

In general, It's good. Nothing special.

Staff Applications Engineer (Former Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsEverything goes smoothly. Not very busy.

ConsRelatively it's less outreach opportunities in my professional.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould trust and respect engineers' professional.

Staff Process Engineer

Staff Process Engineer (Former Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsNot Many. A paycheck for awhile, but probably not for long.

ConsCompany is in a slow death spiral. Company spent to much of their resources attempting to penetrate into etch market. Unfortunely, the 1st, 2nd & 3rd tier managers had no unified plan as to what part of the etch market they were attempting to penetrate and burned through the companies assets.

The input from key people on technical side largely ignored by management and so an etch product has been developed that is not selling.

Key technical folks have left the company in the last 2 years, not waiting around to be laid off.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company has a team of executive managers, that it is unclear as to what their contribution to the company is.
    The attempt to penetrate the FEOL etches has failed, quit sinking money into a bad investment. Go back to being a strip company, you are what you are.

Was a good company when I worked there

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood people. Almost bleeding edge technology

ConsSmall company in a captial intensive sector. Has its usual booms and busts as the semiconductor cycle

Good working environment

Process Engineer (Former Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsFriendly co-workers. If you worked more than 5 years you will have 4 weeks off (PTO) plus 5 weeks sabbatical time and 2 week's extra pay for every 5 years. Good travel compensation (e.g., $59 per-diem for Japan and Korea in 2011). Communication between top and bottom is OK.

ConsDue to its small size lately Mattson had hard time to keep dry strip market share and even harder to penetrate its new segment to etch market. No extra money to put into R&D to keep competitive. Can not attract and keep top talents.

Advice to Senior ManagementTop management should spend less time on traveling to the customer sites but focus on how to develop competitive products. For good quarters bonus should be given back to hard-working employees.

Not a good place to wrk

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsGood paid time off for long time employee

ConsLayoffs are their all the time. loss making company with no hope to become profitable in forseeable future!

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company and save some good employee

No investment in employee development

Engineering Manager (Former Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsVery knowledgeable/capable engineering teams

Generous vacation plan for long term employees. 5 weeks paid sabbatical every 5 years, and additional 2 weeks pay to use on your sabbatical.

Excellent safety/health systems

ConsNo development for employees. You could work here a long time while your skills become stagnant. Management sees know return on investment for training except for management team.

Decisions (particularly budget) held at high level. Management constantly traveling to customers and not in touch with what is happening in company.

Management not interested in "business process". Continuous logistics problems, project/program management weak, product development plan exists on paper only.

More time and energy spent in communicating with securities analysts then with employees.

Advice to Senior Managementsee above

Worked for Mattson Technology? Contribute to the Community!