Mauldin & Jenkins Reviews

Mauldin & Jenkins Managing Partner Donny Luker
Donny Luker

Great Place to Work

I have been working at Mauldin & Jenkins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I’ve worked at Mauldin and Jenkins for 3 years and have truly enjoyed my experience. It’s a larger regional firm with a family atmosphere. While some of the reviews below criticize the amount of hours, I think anyone coming into accounting should expect to work hard during critical times during the year. Personally, I have not felt that the hours were too demanding at M&J, especially when I hear from peers at other firms.

Cons

Some people can be difficult to work for, but I believe that is the same at any other workplace. The number of policies and procedures can seem a little micromanaging.

Advice to Management

I think there should be 360 reviews by all employees at some point during the year. I know that when I’m in a supervisor role, I would like to know how I can help others around me do their job better. Also, I think that the individuals who make a number of the policies and procedures should allow employees more freedom in exercising their judgment. As accountants we are expected to exercise our professional judgment in the field, but we are not given the confidence to exercise our judgment at our jobs.

2. Staff Accountant

I have been working at Mauldin & Jenkins

Pros

very friendly to work with. Partners can treat you like family.

Cons

Does not always provide equal opportunities amount of opportunities across employees and shows favoritism. Does not promote or allow you to move up quickly.

Advice to Management

Listen to your lower levels, if they leave, you are in trouble.

3. Worth the Hours

I have been working at Mauldin & Jenkins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits
    5 weeks of PTO - 2 weeks rollover
    Training in interesting places
    Freedom to make your own hours schedule depending on the client and in-charge
    The firm is beginning to loosen up (jeans on Fridays, etc.)
    Occasional out of the office activities (bowling, lake trips, etc.)
    The firm is involved in numerous and diverse industries

Cons

Mandatory vacation days (the entire week of independence day, among others)
    Spotify, Pandora and other music sites are blocked by IT
    Unrealistic expectations of staff from superiors
    Sometimes long non-busy season hours depending on the client
    Occasional unrealistic expectations from partners or managers

Advice to Management

Don't lose sight of the big picture, capable and competent staff are hard to find. So don't take it for granted that they won't burn out.

5. Great people to work with.

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Albany, GA
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Albany, GA

I have been working at Mauldin & Jenkins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As far as public accounting is concerned, this is a great place to work. Friendly people, down to earth bosses. Accommodating IT department.

Cons

Work-Life balance (As expected in this industry). Lack of training. Family health insurance.

Advice to Management

Instill the same attitude of the MP down to the staff level.

6. Stay away

I worked at Mauldin & Jenkins

Pros

Good benefits--if you are allowed to take them

Cons

I gave one star, only because 0 stars was not an option. Partners are very demanding on staff. Goals are completely unachievable. You get a good bit of vacation time, but either you are pressured to work excessive overtime to be able to take it, or you are reminded that you have not achieved your unrealistic billable hour goals and asked if you are sure you want to take it. If you want to be on the partners good side (which apparently id very important) you must be willing to give up your life and do anything and everything they ask which means very long hours and no work life balance. There is a mentoring system in place at the firm, but usually the mentor does not even work with you or know you. Everything at the firm has a negative connotation. There is never a pat on the back. If you do something well, you are told what you failed to do. Miserable place to work. Raises were an insult. Employees with less experience get paid more than more experienced staff. They are a growing firm. However, they grow through acquisitions, not through organic growth.

Advice to Management

Total overhaul of how employees are treated. They work hard for you. Treat them for this by showing them respect, not by providing expensive company and partner outings and then not providing raises.

Love the Firm

I have been working at Mauldin & Jenkins full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Best place I've ever worked. Great people, great opportunity. Can't imagine going anywhere else.

Cons

None. Work hard and opportunities are endless. Super opportunities to grow with growing firm.

8. Challenging

Former Employee - Intern in Macon, GA
    Former Employee - Intern in Macon, GA

I worked at Mauldin & Jenkins part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked with staff accountants who were willing to help. Learned a lot about public accounting and auditing. Compensation was fair. It was a challenging experience.

Cons

Partners are too demanding for an intern who has no knowledge of auditing and is taking multiple accounting classes while working.

Advice to Management

Try to set up a training system for the entry level employees in order to make learning the audit software faster. Either have a little more patience with interns who lack experience or do not hire interns.

9. Regional Experience - Big 4 workload

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Mauldin & Jenkins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The firm has an open door policy with its partners, seniors and above get offices instead of cubes, health insurance is provided at no extra cost for single employees, and you get paid vacation and sick leave effective immediately when you start work.

Cons

Forced vacation the week of July 4th, understaffed on all jobs, recently turnover has been very high due to low salaries, poor raises, long hours, long weekends, increased travel, overall negative attitude by most upper management. The open door policy is nice to have in theory, but really if you are honest you suddenly stop getting to work on good jobs and your chargeable time gets reduced. Everything is about chargeable time, while you are constantly being "encouraged" to work more efficiently to charge less time.

Advice to Management

Overall culture shift is needed immediately. The firm is still operating as if it is the best thing out there, and partners feel that the economy is still bad so they don't have to focus on employee retention. Wake up and realize people are leaving for a reason...jobs are available with higher salaries and better work-life balance. Stop treating employees like garbage.

Happy Staff with Optimistic Future!

Current Employee - Staff Accountant
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant

I have been working at Mauldin & Jenkins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Partners have an open door policy and they are very accessible. Firm has a great reputation in the industry. The firm has various niches which give staff the opportunity to practice different types of accounting/tax/auditing. The firm pays for CPA exam study material and days off to sit for exam.

Cons

CPE is set by the firm/industry until manager level. I would like to pick my own CPE courses/attend large industry conferences. Another con is that the economic downturn caused a decrease the number of clients and short-term opportunity. Employees were promoted quicker five years ago.

Advice to Management

I appreciate your hard work, sharing of knowledge, and opportunities for the future!

I hope you enjoy to work

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Mauldin & Jenkins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

upward mobility is great, young feel

Cons

I hope you dont mind having 1800 billable hours

Advice to Management

3 weeks of pto and 5 weeks of sick leave? I think people would like that to be changed

RSS Feed </> Embed