Maurice Sporting Goods

Add Photos

Jory Katlin

Great Company to Work For

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Arlington, TX

ProsEmployees are offered the opportunity of a stable work environment and great company benefits.

ConsThe office in TX closed

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep offering your employees a chance to grow with the company.

Great Family Owned Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork is fast paced and challenging

ConsChicago, not my kind of town

Great experience.

ProsFriendly co-workers. Fun workplace. Low stress.

ConsLow pay. Hard to commute to.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaises more often.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Territory manager

ProsExciting company to work for from a products standpoints. You spend your days talking about fishing and hunting all day. You meet many new people

ConsYOU DRIVE ALL THE TIME!!! Litterally 50,000 miles a year for average reps.
    The salary is average at best. your commision rate is laughable

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your people more incentives with a better commision rate

Would look elsewhere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsBusiness casual, easy place to work because upper management not knowledgeable or competent, near train station, comfortable environment, more than usual days off (Jewish company).

ConsFavoritism, lack of knowledge in critical areas but hire people they "know" instead of most qualified, poor leadership, poor management, departments don't communicate, company is in decline and losing footing in marketplace. Doesn't follow regulatory guidelines, has some questionable business practices. Poor compensation for people off the street, but if you "know" one of the owners, paid handsomely. Business ethics not enforced. All in all, not a good place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in outside consultation on how to run a business, need to get a real strategy of how to compete instead of hiring guys who worked for your major customers so you can get an "in" with those companies, review compensation packages, implement Code of Conduct or Ethics training as well as Harassment Prevention, re-evaluate contributions of those who have been there 20 years and look closely at favoritism of those "lifers". Hire people with qualifications instead of people you know just because they are friends.

Worst Place I Ever Worked At

Territory Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat product and industry if you want to learn about outdoors, fishing in particular

ConsDemanding job, never receive recognition for actual job well done, lots of politics and favoritism, incompetent people at supervisory positions, pay is ridiculous, you can never make up bonuses they promise, don't bother asking for any help and assistance from your supervisor unless you want to get him on your back all the time

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes and see where your field people are and how miserable they feel, you pride yourself of being great place to work yet you live with your eyes closed. Ever wonder why you have such high attrition rate in field, you should spend some time talking to people working there instead of hearing what you want to hear from people who should not be in the job they are incompetent to be.

Don't Come Here

ProsBusiness casual, good benefit package, and some nice people

ConsBad upper management, business practices seem to be bad, pay is below average scale, and don't care about employee morale, systems are old and not moving with the times

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better and updated systems. Hire an outside consultant to think of the many areas to improve. Need to work out a better salary plan for employees.

Maurice Sporting Goods...don't bother.

ProsManagement understanding of family emergencies.

ConsVery clicky. Does not give serious consideration to internal candidates for new openings.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen up the purse strings. Give employees the chance to develop into new roles.

Worked for Maurice Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!