Maurices Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
3.3

Maurices CEO David Jaffe
David Jaffe

Pros
  • You get a great discount- 40%, promotes growth from with in the company (in 41 reviews)

• 40% discount is good, although I know of some retailers with higher discounts (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Forced to "sell" the credit card to people who can barely afford the clothes (in 57 reviews)

• Having sales goals always has some sort of pressure, but that's expected in any retail job (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun and Exciting Second Job

I have been working at Maurices part-time for more than a year

Pros

This is my second job. I found it very fun and exciting. Plus the discount on clothes is great.

Cons

Hours are not flexible. It is hard to get a shift covered when an emergency arises.

Amazing company

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Bristol, VA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Bristol, VA

I have been working at Maurices full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This company has an amazing culture that is hard to find and has great values! There is a lot of opportunities to grow and develop. Upper management is always asking for feedback from all positions and they work hard to recognize all employees at every level.

Cons

Because of District manager changes I have found it hard to establish myself with a person in upper management to support my career development.

You can achieve as much as you want here if you are willing to work hard and are open to feedback

Great/Boring Job

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Maurices part-time for more than a year

Pros

The hours were flexible, worked with some nice associates. The location I was at was pretty dead so not much actual work, just organizing merchandise and standing around waiting for customers. Nice 40% discount and starting pay for my 2nd job. Corporate always sent fun prizes when the team did well or was best in the district.

Cons

Hands down is shoving the credit card down customers throats. You must ask the customer a minimum of 3 times to apply before you can drop it. Having unrealistic sales goals when the merchandise is over priced. If you weren't making your sales or credit card goals you would be punished by having to dirty work (clean the microwave, clean bathroom, ect....) not allowed to wear jeans, have continuous training. Also since my location was pretty dead traffic was slow a lot which meant standing around doing nothing. I personally loved getting paid to just do that but if you like to be busy make sure you're at a busier location.

Set some more realistic goals for your team to reach. And look at where they are located and the audience that is shopping there. Also make the credit card and a fun bonus for the customer, not an annoying requirement that will be forced on them every time they shop with you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good, but....

Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager  in  Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Maurices part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get a good discount working here. For the most part, I got along with my coworkers and enjoyed helping customers who wanted a boutique-like experience. The company also offers frequent incentive programs and additional discounts. You have opportunities to advance in the company as well.

Cons

There are many standards that you are expected to meet, sometimes causing you to push customers and seem superficial. The worst of this is selling the credit card...it puts you in very uncomfortable situations especially if you have been making connections with a customer and then are forced to push the credit card on them.

Pushing credit card sign ups is bad for the employees and the customers.

Overall good experience, some negative aspects

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Papillion, NE
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Papillion, NE

I have been working at Maurices part-time for more than a year

Pros

Obviously the biggest perk is the 40% discount. The style has definitely improved over the years and is more competitive with other clothing stores now.

Cons

The biggest negative is the pressure put on the employees to get customers to sign up for the Maurices Credit Card (MCC). My previous employer at another Maurices location even went as far as not allowing the employees to wear jeans to work if they hadn't had a credit card sign up within a two week time frame.

Cool it with the credit card pressure! It's not our fault people are choosing to be financially responsible and limit the amount of credit cards they have. It becomes an awkward situation to try to force someone to put themselves further into debt.

Pretty good experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Mount Prospect, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mount Prospect, IL

I have been working at Maurices part-time for less than a year

Pros

Really friendly coworkers, and nice manager. Fun environment, very organized, good discount, cool perks.

Cons

selling credit cards, trying to get customers to spend more than they should, insane expectations especially at a very hidden store. Hard to please district manager.

ADVERTISING. I cannot stress enough how much good advertisements would be for this company. Start putting your store on the map! Also, stop focusing on numbers so much. We shouldn't have to try and shove the credit cards down people's throats! Same goes with selling clothes, not everyone can't afford $150-$300 worth of clothing, so stop trying to force workers to push customers into a corner to buy more things.

Great experience for a sales career

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Coon Rapids, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Coon Rapids, MN

I worked at Maurices part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunity of promotion if you work hard and fun environment

Cons

Sometimes associates who are promoted to managers have a superiority complex, they think they work harder than everyone else, when sales associates actually probably work the hardest. Sales associates have a lot of responsibilities, but the great part is that if you stick to the job, you will have a lot of useful skills to add to your resume.

Pay your sales associates more, sometimes they do not feel valued and therefore don't value their job.

Good Company

Former Employee - First Assistant Manager  in  Midland, MI
    Former Employee - First Assistant Manager in Midland, MI

I worked at Maurices full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, cute clothes, good discount, fair Home Office policies. You are able to have a life outside of work however, during the holidays you are expected to work longer hours.

Cons

Too many favorites. The District Manager was very unprofessional and only cared about certain Store Managers, not the associates needs.

NO MORE CREDIT CARD SELLING!!!! It puts the associates in a hard place when you are trying to make us shove our credit cards down customers throats and many wont come back again. Also, pay attention to all the associates in the stores when you come to visit, they are also working hard to please you.

It's a great as you want it to be, especially as a Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Maurices full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great training resources, consistent and appropriate feedback from upper management, awesome discounts and rewards, competitive pay/bonuses, the company is always finding ways to connect with our customer base and includes rewards for us in the process.

Cons

Must have great time management skills, and have a team of go getters. Our team is motivated mostly by success so our collective jobs are much easier!

Sometimes the direction of where we are headed as a company is not always clear. Let's focus more on the wins instead of the losses!

Over-Rated

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Muskogee, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Muskogee, OK

I have been working at Maurices part-time for less than a year

Pros

My co-workers became some of my closest friends! Customer interactions, getting to shop with and help build outfits!

Cons

Where do I start? Its overrated. Too much requirements to only get paid so much. No commission. No self responsibility. Laziness. Forced to sell. Get in trouble for having a small transaction. I'm sorry I can't force my customer to spend money they don't have.

Maurices in Muskogee is a joke. 6 people quit within 6 months. That has to say something.

Worked for Maurices? Contribute to the Community!