Maurices

Profile Unclaimed

This company is awesome!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Enterprise, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Enterprise, AL

I have been working at Maurices part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get 40% off regular priced items and an extra 20% off sales.
    Long breaks
    High energy
    Gift from company (especially during Christmas)

Cons

It's not for an introvert- you have to be very pushy and involved in every sale.

Love it!

Current Employee - Worked Many Positions in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Worked Many Positions in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Maurices (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company really works to help their employees move up.
    You play dress up all day.
    You are encouraged to try on all the clothes to improve your product knowledge.

Cons

Stats are the biggest challenge, but is easily overcome

Very unhappy working there

I worked at Maurices

Pros

Discount
    Repeat customers
    Treat customers very well

Cons

Training philosophy
    Management
    Credit card sales
    Unrealistic sales goals
    Sales associates steal sales

When I first started working at Maurices, I was very excited to be in an environment that "promotes women and teamwork." However, my experience at Maurices was completely contradictory to the companies philosophy. I was told by the manager and first assistant that I was in a "sink or swim" position when it came to training. My manager also informed me of a new rule within our store after I had been working there for about a month. I could only ask a certain number of questions per day(3). I thought okay maybe that would foster more critical thinking skills. But to my dismay, I was punished later for "not asking questions." I was hired as a temporary keyholder(open and closing duties) and my key was taken away. My manager actually told me, "I know I told you not to ask questions, but you should've come to me or the assistant manager." I had my key taken away because I asked another sales associate about closing(something I didn't know I wasn't supposed to do.) Criticism was often given to me with no chance to correct it. If I made a mistake, which I often did because training at Maurices is seriously lacking, I was made an example of in front of the other sales associates. I left Maurices with little self confidence because I felt as if my successes were never good enough. It didn't matter if I got a credit card or a huge sale, my stats weren't high enough or something else with my performance was wrong.

Another thing that seriously bothered me about working here was the companies unrealistic sales goals. I was expected to sell about $3000 worth of clothes in one week. My store was not particularly large and when I first started, store traffic was very slow. On top of this, I noticed that other team members would steal sales, customers, etc. You would have to basically stalk someone around the store in order to get that sale, which makes for a very unpleasant experience for customers. In fact, Maurices whole selling experience is very pushy. You are expected to bring up the credit card at least three times, follow a customer around the store offering outfit suggestions, etc. Sometimes people just want to be left alone to shop!

Maurices Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Shamokin Dam, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Shamokin Dam, PA

I worked at Maurices part-time (less than a year)

Pros

A nice discount on everything, including sales. The people are nice and management is very friendly.

Cons

Such a heavy push to talk to customers and make them buy something that you get to the point that you are actually annoying the customers and pushing them out of the store. It's hard to reach your sales goal for the day without being pushy. You are also pushed to sell their credit cards to people that simple don't won't them and to some people that honestly shouldn't have them.

great

I worked at Maurices

Pros

good communication with employees for schedules

Cons

lack of promotions for employees

Wonderful place to learn

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Mankato, MN
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Mankato, MN

I worked at Maurices

Pros

The Mankato team was the most supportive, caring, loving, and phenomenal group of people I have had the pleasure of working with. They were encouraging of personal growth and my growth as a salesperson.

Cons

I lived too far away so the commute was a bit painful.

Love this company

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Maurices full-time (less than a year)

Pros

really great staff, team focused and really take care of their employees!

Cons

I really do not have anything I do not like about them.

none

My eyes have been opened to the true meaning of customer service.

Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager

I have been working at Maurices part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Atmosphere is always great. Goals are easily obtaintable. Great employee discounts and incentives. I feel appreciated. Promotion within the company!

Cons

The only challenge is being part time.

Keep evolving and doing it great! You are an amazing company to work for!

An absolute amazing place to work

Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager in Waxahachie, TX
    Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager in Waxahachie, TX

I have been working at Maurices

Pros

I loved helping all the customers and creating a great experience for them. The team is really great and makes you feel as if you're part of a little family.

Cons

More to do than there is time for. Also a constant stress on numbers, sales, and credit cards.

Stop expecting so much from each individual. Lessin the load of things to do and focus on and you will have an amazing team.

Great training and development, bad upper management and HIGH turnover

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Maurices full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The training and development at Maurices is amazing. There are so many tools and resources at your fingertips. Coaching in the moment and follow up with employees is a necessity in order to keep the store and processes running smoothly. My district did not micro manage which was nice, basically a store manager runs the store as if he or she is the owner. You are empowered to make your own choices based on company standards (every employee, from sales/stock to store manager) .

Cons

There are not enough hours given to implement changes as directed by corporate.
    District manager visits are not consistent.
    Credit and standards should be re assessed, team accountability is often better than individual accountability.
    Some guidelines from the Associate handbook are not implemented (while others are followed strictly)

I feel like training and development are about the only things going for this company! the company discount is nice as well.
     I was extremely dissatisfied with my district Manager and the way she handled an exaggerated incident with another manager. Associates and Managers that give 100% should be treated as an asset to the company, not just someone who could be easily replaced. Associate and Manager turnover is out of control!
    I chose to give my two week notice and began working with another company. I was told that I could not go in the back room (even with a district manager) to collect my personal items. I did get most of my things but ALL of my papers were gone (another manager took them as directed by district manager) and told me they were property of Maurices. These were papers that I personally used and researched in an effort to increase performance and motivate associates. I conducted the research during personal time and they were inside my personal bag in my personal folder!! Also included in the items I didn't receive was my offer letter which was hidden inside my bag. So someone dug through my items and took everything. I felt like this was disrespectful and invasive of my privacy. Thankfully they were not locked inside the desk, or I would have never received them!
    Overall, I'm sure that reviews will vary from store to store and district to district. I loved my job at Maurices but was so disappointed in some of the policies and procedures and the way that some incidents were handled. I chose to walk away and start fresh.
    Also, after telling me via text message and direct phone conversation that I could always count on an awesome reference from her (my district manager) she never returned one single phone call.

Maurices Photos