Maurices Reviews

Updated September 7, 2014
3.4

Maurices CEO David Jaffe
David Jaffe

Pros
  • You get a great discount- 40%, promotes growth from with in the company (in 41 reviews)

• 40% discount is good, although I know of some retailers with higher discounts (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Forced to "sell" the credit card to people who can barely afford the clothes (in 57 reviews)

• Having sales goals always has some sort of pressure, but that's expected in any retail job (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Discount, Lots of work drama

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  West Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Fargo, ND

I worked at Maurices part-time for less than a year

Pros

They have a set of standards you have to meet as an associate, and those are really nice because you can see your stats and how you improve/decline each week. It was always great to see a week where you had really good sales!
    The discount was absolutely wonderful-40% off regular priced and then with clearance you got an additional 20% off the clearance price.
    Pretty good hours for part time.

Cons

The credit card. You're constantly pushing people to sign up for this card even though you know they don't want it. After a while you start to feel bad about it. And if you don't meet card standards, you're criticized for it.
    Maybe it was just my store, but the manager and some of the associates were extremely catty. Manager played favorites. When I first started the atmosphere was great and I loved going to work, but after working there a couple months the drama was a little too much to deal with.

Utilize the standards to help teach associates how to get better. Don't just say "this is how you're doing, now fix it."

Don't push the MCC so hard. It's kind of sleezy how badly we had to try and get customers to sign up for it.

Great company to work for with awesome benefits however you will work very hard as a Store Manager to succeed.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Maurices full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Amazing rewards and recognition. Anything from trips to Mexico to large bonuses make the work worth it. The discount is great and the training gets better everyday.

Cons

You will work exceptionally hard as a Store Manager to earn your pay. Expectations are high but if you are willing to put in the time you can be successful.

More of the work and projects sent need to be actually performed by the home office employees. Floor sets and other tasks are overbearing with the work load and amount of hours given to support.
    The rewards and benefits are great but the workload at times can be a bit overwhelming.

wonderful company to work for

Current Employee - First Assistant Manager  in  Noblesville, IN
    Current Employee - First Assistant Manager in Noblesville, IN

I have been working at Maurices full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

discount is great at 40%

Cons

hours can be long, work holidays

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun, team building atmosphere, very challenging, and fast pace!

Current Employee - First Assistant Manager  in  Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - First Assistant Manager in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Maurices full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I started as a part-time sales associate which is one of the entry level positions to a full-time first assistant manager in a little over six months. My manager saw that potential in me and pushed me to become ready very quickly. I attribute most of my successes in this company to my store manager. She is constantly challenging my thought process and is constantly keeping me focused on the big picture, our business. Maurices encourages a team atmosphere. Even though I have one of the top positions in the store, we have a business achievement program that all managers on our team must complete, and it is the same program for each manager. The program has three levels and each level has you study the plethora of resources this company has to offer and then apply them in their position. The resources that Maurices supplies each store is the same all across their 900 stores. Every store operationally should be run with the same standards, using the same resources. This is great because our stores in our district are a network, and we can reach other to each other if we get direction that is confusing, controversial, or just plain wrong. And, maurices home office wants the feedback if visual direction or operational direction is good or bad. This company is all about open and honest feedback from every level of its employees. Maurices knows that the world of fashion is constantly changing. So, they are too. They are constantly updating visual, updating their image, customer philosophy, and selling expectations. My store manager and district manager also, sat down with me and re-evaluated my performance when I had to ask for a raise to accommodate a life circumstance. if you are looking for a company that encourages honesty, teamwork, and is full of opportunities to advance very quickly than this is the company you've been searching for!

Cons

For all the reasons that it is a wonderful company, they can also be its worst faults. I may have been pushed too far too fast and way outside my comfort zone. I was never encouraged to get over my fear of failure, because when I did make a mistake, my manager could be very reactive and impatient. Sometimes feedback fell on deaf ears as far as visual direction and operational direction went. My manager was on her way to making herself into a District Manager. So, she entered a program to become an associate district manager which left me the store for most weeks out of the year. Even though I was running the store, hitting our goals, managing our team, completing visual projects, and performing my responsibilities as a first assistant and the responsibilities as a store manager, I was not compensated for it and I was not given the opportunity to go on a trip to Mexico for meeting so many goals for the fiscal year. That was a little disheartening.. The cost of being motivated is taking on loads of responsibilities and being self-motivated and organized enough to handle it all. If you succeed, then you advance. Also, being stagnate is not an option. You have to be constantly developing yourself. This is difficult for me because I like achieving my best and then maintaining it. So, knowing that I will always have something to work on is a little daunting.

Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager  in  Saratoga Springs, UT
    Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager in Saratoga Springs, UT

I have been working at Maurices part-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome people and fun customers! There are many employee incentives that the company gives to reward hard work.

Cons

Home office gives too much work to be done (I.e. New POV and floor plans) with not enough hours given to complete it.

Challenging, sometimes stressful, but rewarding

Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager  in  Rockford, IL
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Rockford, IL

I worked at Maurices full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get a great discount- 40%, promotes growth from with in the company... there are a lot of opportunities to move up within the company but you have to take time and work on it. You get to know your customers and now working on commission gives you a unique opportunity to actually get to get close and learn their story without them feeling pressured. I was also able to organize a few different charitable events (toys for tots and food drives) making you feel great about you and your work.

Cons

There can be a high turn-over rate, I was planning on being there for about a year but got a different opportunity and had to leave a new promotion in the company behind.

Never again

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Maurices part-time for less than a year

Pros

I really can't think of much......the discount I guess......

Cons

100% waist of my time. The manager couldn't give me over 14 hours a week. And still continued to hire people. I found there was a lot of gossip among the girls that worked there and alot of trash talk. Now, I understand that in a store only run and operated by females this sort of thing is bound to happen. However, I would expect the managers to not participate in this behavior. I worked in back tagging clothes...and I would often hear managers also "gossiping" and talking about other girls working....as if I wasn't there. Disrespectful. There was alot of sneaky behavior...and the general manager of the store was very passive. She seemed nice enough....but she wasnt. Simply. Also after leaving maurices....I would expect to be treated like a guest or a normal costumer when I come in to shop. That is not the case however. And they won't be seeing me back.

Figure it out.

Loved coworkers... Not so much upper management.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Duncan, OK
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Duncan, OK

I worked at Maurices part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great discount, able to dress in your own unique style, so much fun helping customers find outfits.

Cons

The pressure put on associates to up sell and sell credit cards is ridiculous.

Instead of negative reinforcement for sales, try positive reinforcement instead. For example; instead of a write up for not selling enough credit cards- pay incentive on credit cards sold.

Rewarding experience until it came time to advance.

Former Employee - Sales/Sales Support  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Sales/Sales Support in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Maurices part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Allows one to get experience in a variety of customer driven experience.

Cons

Not much focus on moral character or leadership skills. Almost all focus on selling numbers with disregard to skill level.

Take into consideration team members skill level in areas other than selling.

Great place to work with a great environment and company that takes care of it's employees

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Adrian, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Adrian, MI

I have been working at Maurices part-time for less than a year

Pros

Work environment, company incentives, discounts

Cons

Challenges may be customers, but not everyone is going to like what you offer

Worked for Maurices? Contribute to the Community!