Mavens Consulting

4.8

Prasad Kanumury

A Welcome Break from the Norm

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mavens Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people at Mavens are some of the brightest, most driven, and fun people I've ever worked with and the culture promotes independent action and ownership from all of its employees. I am challenged on a daily basis and there is an emphasis placed on having fun and truly enjoying what you do.

Cons

This is not necessarily a negative, but employees are expected to be able to work independently while still producing high-quality work. This can be challenging if you are used to more direct guidance and management, but can be quite liberating if you work well autonomously and aren't afraid to ask for help when you need it.

Continue developing the internal training curriculum and finding ways for employees to remain well connected.

Great company with great people

Former Employee - Solutions Architect
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect

I worked at Mavens Consulting full-time

Pros

-Great teammates who are committed to delivering top notch results
    -Everyone is extremely knowledgable about Salesforce and the Pharma industry
    -The family like atmosphere is totally genuine
    -Opportunity to do new things is there for those who want to take it
    -Work/life balance is a priority

Cons

-You need to be responsible for your own career development - no hand holding or clear career path set before you
    -Small team spread over a large area means that sometimes you are a bit in the dark about what's going on with other people on the team.

I think the management team at Mavens runs the rare company that is both extremely fun and very effective. I think it might be tough to find the select few people that are both of these, but keep on doing your thing. Even though I'm a Mavens alum, I still love the company and the people there!

Walking the Talk

Current Employee - Solution Architect
    Current Employee - Solution Architect

I have been working at Mavens Consulting full-time

Pros

I've never worked anywhere that actually realizes its values the way Mavens does. I (cynically) expected to be disillusioned at some point with the lofty values, but it's yet to happen. This company has a ton of integrity and makes me proud to work here. We don't cut corners or do anything we wouldn't be 100% proud of.

Everyone takes pride in their work and also wants you to succeed, which is truly touching. You are constantly encouraged to grow and try new things, and if you need help, all you need to do is ask and someone is there for you. You are entirely responsible for your own success, but you also have (seriously) everything you would need to succeed.

Super flexible environment and incredibly family-friendly. Work-live balance isn't just paid lip service, but actively encouraged and protected. Work from home or take PTO without being subtly shamed for it. Great travel opportunities. Always room for new ideas and creative solutions - you won't be limited or shut down, but rather celebrated. Encouraged to learn, grow, and dabble. Clear objectives and mentorship for first 3 months is super helpful. You have the ability to choose which projects you want to be on. Strong on transparency with opportunities to reflect on the good, the bad and the ugly of projects during and after.

Cons

Long ramp; this is not the case for everyone if you are very experienced, but it can be overwhelming. There's loads to learn and it's tough to know where to start, or how to manage your time between learning and actually doing.

"With great power comes great responsibility," and the same is true for freedom. It requires a lot of vision and self-discipline to settle in with the amount of freedom provided (is this even a con??). If you prefer someone babysitting you, holding your hand, and cleaning up your messes, this is not the right place for you. Sink or swim.

On the flip side - if you don't know how to ask for help, you're a goner. You will need help, and once you get past your pride, the tough thing (with a flat org) is finding the right person to ask. Be prepared that with the variety of projects we tackle, it's rare you know exactly what to do without the assistance of others to kick start you.

Not overly social - everyone sincerely cares about you, (the quality of people is incredible) and there are fun activities planned occasionally, but if you're looking for frequent happy hours or chummy pow wows, everyone has already gone home to their family. Particularly a challenge to connect if you're remote, but not impossible with the travel opportunities.

Make it more clear who to turn to when you need help in specific areas. If you're new it's tough to tell who knows what.

Love being a Maven!

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Mavens Consulting full-time

Pros

Great coworkers and great clients.
    We focus on doing the right things for the right reasons.
    Challenging work
    Build lots of different skillsets
    Flexibility to grow in a direction that you choose
    Constantly trying to improve how we do things - how we work as a company, how we deliver projects for our customers, how we function as individuals.
    Flat hierarchy - no one has (or is) a manager

Cons

Mavens does not have a structured career path. Your career growth at Mavens is based on professional skill/ability growth and the opportunity to increase your responsibilities rather than titles and positions.

Keep hiring great people.

Best place I have ever worked

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mavens Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Simply said, Mavens is different. This is a team of smart and hard-working people working in a culture and structure that may not exist any other place. No managers in a flat structure. People are most likely to be successful here when they have a commitment to personal accountability and are self-motivated to jump on new challenges and take on new leadership opportunities. Massive flexibility and support for people to have lives outside of work. Tremendous respect for employees.

Cons

Sometimes new hires struggle a bit with the autonomy of being personally accountable without a manager. Mavens could do a better job of addressing those warning signs more quickly.

Mavens Consulting Response

Jan 5, 2015Director

Great point about new hires. It's sometimes a big change for people coming from more traditional companies and we are always looking for ways to make that transition easier. Every new hire now has ... More

Highlight of my career!

Former Employee - Solution Architect in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Solution Architect in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Mavens Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

> Culture is like none-other - If you're looking for a space where you can create, where you're supported, where you're welcomed and valued, then you've found it.
    > You're contributions are respected - Mavens realizes each person brings a unique perspective to the team, and it nurtures an environment where each person can live up to their potential.
    > Each Mavens is tops - This is the brightest, most fun and engaging team I've ever worked with. It's also quite humbling in that you're working with the world's best.
    > Work/Life Balance - Mavens puts top priority on ensuring everyone can achieve this balance. Although it's up to you to execute, the Advisory Team and all Mavens fully support such a balance.
    > Partnerships - The strength of Mavens' partnerships with key players within the Salesforce ecosystem and life sciences industry is impressive.

Cons

Not so much cons as FYIs:
    > Working remotely - You have to make a continuous effort to stay plugged in.
    > Lightning-fast pace - Things move quickly at Mavens. You have to be up to the challenge to stay engaged, focused, and balanced.

> Continue to make people and culture top priorities
    > Continue striving for more transparency

Refreshing..

Current Employee - Applications Architect in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Applications Architect in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mavens Consulting full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Small Company - different culture

Cons

Having worked in large companies in the past, this will be something new. Looking forward to it.

Outsource the recruiting process so that it frees up the employees' time.

Playing with Passion

Former Employee - Technical Architect in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Architect in Chicago, IL

I worked at Mavens Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone at the organization elevates their performance like no other. When you depend on the people you work with, you always get amazing results. Mavens goes beyond culture, it has its own personality. That personality drives the passion that everyone brings to their work.

Cons

Would love to see the organization grow, but growth requires a change in how you recruit.

Growing Pains

Current Employee - Functional
    Current Employee - Functional

I have been working at Mavens Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mavens is continuing to grow, both in clientele and employees, which means there's also some growing pains. This past year has been full of transitions, but we now have a better interviewing process and we have a better communicated brand. We're very focused on our developers and making sure everyone is Salesforce and Veeva certified, and knowledgeable about the life sciences industry.

Cons

We're simply not growing fast enough for the work load! Wish we could find more developers more quickly.

Also, there isn't always a clear understanding of our business direction. Sure we want to "grow our business," but how? Things don't get shared depending on who you are within the company- so when change is happening, you don't always know why or what it means for you or our customers. Sometimes I think we move too fast for our own good.

The culture has been changing in the last two years to. Things used to feel more collaborative- we used to say we're a "grown up company with a start up culture"- and that may still be true, but the company seems really disconnected and disjointed lately. Everyone is working in their silos and it's taking its toll. I wonder where the fun went and worry about some of our recent employee departures.

The management team (PK, Dave, Jen and Joe) really care about the company and most of them care about the people they work with. We need more transparency in our business direction though. I know we're working to maintain our culture as we change and grow and experience turnover, but it's pretty rough right now. I miss the good old days! I still love Mavens, but I'm just not as engaged in my work as I used to be.

Love what you do and make it matter!

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Reno, NV

I have been working at Mavens Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Mavens encourages advancement in the company and the ability to get involved in many different projects and roles.

- The company culture is amazing and unlike any other company I have seen or worked with. I feel privileged to work with such a professional yet fun and caring bunch. Birthdays are celebrated, work anniversaries acknowledged, and when your sick or having a difficult time at home, your fellow Mavens will check to make sure you're ok and send their well wishes.

-The company has a flexible work schedule and the ability to work remote if needed.

- The work is interesting and changes constantly based on the projects you get involved in. I have taken so many different roles on since I have worked here and always appreciate the change in pace.

- Management is amazing! I have never felt disconnected or in the dark about anything. Mavens is very open and the employees communicate well with each other. If you don't know something about the company, just ask. Management also doesn't "manage" you. We all work together to be successful as a company. We are accountable to ourselves and all understand that our personal success is based on the success of a company.

- I feel blessed to work at Mavens because it truly is an amazing company. When I was hired Mavens not only made sure I was a good fit for the company, but also that the company was a good fit for me. Mavens truly cares for its employees past and present and when you join Mavens you feel like you are joining a family.

Cons

I cannot honestly think of a con I have come across since working at Mavens. I love every day and every project. That's not to say that I haven't worked some long nights or been on some less than exciting projects but even after a long night I wake up still loving my job. I'm constantly challenged and often feel like I'm the dumbest guy in the room but I love Mavens that much more because of it. I grow with every challenge and fellow Mavens are always available to help and never brush off a "dumb" question. At Mavens we are all tasked with being a student and a teacher and I think that value shines through with every employee.

Keep up the great work! Maintaining the Mavens culture is key to keeping the company great.