Max New York Life Insurance

Updated November 17, 2014
3.7

Max New York Life Insurance CEO & Managing Director Rajesh Sud
Rajesh Sud

Pros
  • Job safety for all trainers, work culture safety for all women were the real add ons (in 11 reviews)

• Flexible work environment, independence, every day is different (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Salary is all commission based, not a great job for a student out of college (in 3 reviews)

• You have a trail period or P-Tas period to show them what you can do before you are actually a full time agent (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible Work Environment - September 19th, 2014 Another "D" Day in Technology.....!!!

Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Max New York Life Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Can't think of any real pros here except if your just starting out in your career, take full advantage of training and education subsidiaries.

Cons

Well guys, another major reorganization along with major structural changes will be happening at New York Life once again. There must have been 1-dozen similar changes which have occurred over the past 3-4 years and morale for those who have survived is HORRIFIC.

I'm talking specifically for the Technology Department.

Word of advise for all......if your under 55 years old, don't spend another minute at this company. Based on my work-life experiences, it generally takes a few years for the organizational changes to settle in. Well anyone with half a brain who works here can attest to the fact that Senior Management are trying different plans at the expense of peoples lives and ambitions.

Senior Management = HORRIFIC! TERRIBLE!! If I were a bit younger I'd leave yesterday. So close to retiring I have to suffer through your inept Management style.

Difficult job, but one can be successful

I have been working at Max New York Life Insurance

Pros

Flexible work environment, independence, every day is different. This made it so you really had full control over how much effort you put into the job.

Cons

I didn't make any money at this job until about a month and a half in. They want you to prove yourself before they will make you full time and give you benefits. i guess that makes sense, but make sure you have some money saved up before you dive into a career in life insurance.

Solid company, but they care more about their image than their agency force.

Current Employee - Agent in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Agent in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Max New York Life Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great name and unparalleled training

Cons

They pay significantly less do to their pension however their pension doesn't add up to what you are giving up to work for them.

Don't make your partners recruit so much that they can't help develop their agents.

Best insurance company to work for in terms of support, education and compensation.

Current Employee - Agent in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Agent in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Max New York Life Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent training and support for new agents.
    You can't ask for a better managing partner than Mark Madgett. He is an inspiring leader who knows all the agents and cares for their success. He supports the office and all agents in the most positive, helpful and fun ways possible.

Cons

It's commission based and the first couple of years are generally a pay it forward investment. You need to be willing to work diligently and withstand sporadic paystubs for the first few years. This is true of most financial services job, nothing specific to this office or company.

very nice

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Max New York Life Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great people. lots of things to learn

Cons

pays a little lower than others

be more on time

Extremely challenging initially but high up-side potential.

Current Employee - Financial Services Professional
    Current Employee - Financial Services Professional

I have been working at Max New York Life Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent training and massive amounts of resources at your disposal. Company brand is extremely strong. Compensation structure has potential for extremely high income.

Cons

Company charges you, the agent, for everything. They charge you rent for your cubicle, your phone, internet, making copies, stationary, business cards, etc. Compensation is 100% commission. You will also lose "friends".

With the exception of a couple senior-level managers, my experience with management was positive.

Agent

I worked at Max New York Life Insurance

Pros

Friendly, Treats employees with respect, work life balance, smart employees, opportunity to grow,

Cons

The only con i can think of is the initial training. Passing the appropriate test takes time

Great job!

My experience with New York Life was very interesting.

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Max New York Life Insurance as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It is an opportunity for people who are good at sales to work with very nice people and make a good living.

Cons

It is a strictly commission sales job.

None

They are an excellent company.

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Charleston, SC

Pros

They give first rate training.

Cons

Long hours at the shop.

Keep promises to your agents.

Financial Service Representative

Former Employee - Financial Services Professional in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Financial Services Professional in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Max New York Life Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Management Teams! Love Milwaukee! Learned so much and they really cared about me and my success.

Cons

Tough financial market and have to be extremely dedicated.

Keep up the great work!