Max & Erma's Restaurants

2.9

Robert Forbes

Very good experience

I worked at Max & Erma's Restaurants full-time

Pros

It is really diverse and with 58 employees it was always a challenge

Cons

Menu changed too often. Managers were not allowed to help hourlys

Good fun work environment

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Columbus, OH

I worked at Max & Erma's Restaurants full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked for Max & Ermas for years in many locations through Ohio and worked all positions in the restaurant. Was always a fun environment and felt like family! If you work hard it's a great place to make money!

Cons

Management is always a challenge in a restaurant environment. This is no exception.

Communication with staff could be improved upon. Many times during the ownership changes staff feared that they would come into work to locked doors and a closed down restaurant because we had very little information provided. This killed moral and ultimately made for some bad customer experiences. Also communicating with staff for their point of view would be great. They are face to face with your customers and products everyday. The information they can provide you is invaluable.

Decent Job

I have been working at Max & Erma's Restaurants

Pros

You can make some good money as a waiter on busy nights. Some nights I made $120, some nights I made $40. I liked most of the people I worked with and made many friends.

Cons

Very fast paced working environment. This is a customer service job so people can be mean.

N/A

It was a good summer job waiting tables.

Former Employee - Waitress in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Waitress in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Max & Erma's Restaurants part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am a people person, so being able to be face-to-face with people was good for me. I enjoyed getting tips and discounts on my food.

Cons

My manager was a real jerk and I could not work in that environment for very long. People in the restaurant industry get sour very quickly.

Do not take your frustration out on your employees.

ABRH

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Erie, PA

I have been working at Max & Erma's Restaurants full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The training involved is thorough and the weekly obligations are financially oriented. COGS and labor are major focuses, beyond a point of some expectations or guest well-being.

Cons

It certainly depends on the Management team, but teamwork is not a core ideology. At times, it seems old-school management techniques are rewarded.

Develop teamwork. Modern management techniques involve paternal values and employees as the major asset.

I was very dissatisfied.

I have been working at Max & Erma's Restaurants full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love the employees I work with/

Cons

Its a dirty place in general. Not well managed.

Great for a restaurant job

Current Employee - Server in North Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Server in North Canton, OH

I have been working at Max & Erma's Restaurants full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, positive work environment. Get along very well with the management. Company sells a quality product that people enjoy.

Cons

Company pursues a lot of promotions in a half-cocked fashion, only to move in a different direction without warning. Tries to motivate employees with contests, but doesn't follow through with rewards.

Mediocre at best

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Fairlawn, OH
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Fairlawn, OH

I worked at Max & Erma's Restaurants part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours. No one gave a crap what was going on so actual work was minimal. Occasional decent nights and $200+ doubles.

Cons

Managers were largely incompetent and the other employees just shy of the fast track to prison. Most lunch shifts, servers would have two or three tables and be lucky to make $15 in tips total. No busters ever, and expos only on Friday and Saturday. I routinely prepared my own food because the cooks weren't around to do it. The dishwasher did everything but the dishes. If you need a restaurant job, choose somewhere else.

Hire actual decent employees. Maybe start drug testing.

great staff, management lacks passion or care.

I worked at Max & Erma's Restaurants

Pros

Great staff, good customers, flexible

Cons

Management doesn't live up to "corporate culture"

Actually work

Changes in owners changes in values

I worked at Max & Erma's Restaurants (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a company that has struggled for years under frankly horrible owners and corporate management. About 3 years ago they were bought by a large company ABRH (American Blue Ribbon Holding) which has been going on a spree of restaurant purchases. They know how to make profitable companies, but they don't necessarily understand the companies they are buying.

The company is growing, and is stable. As of when I left, and what I have gathered from the people I still know in the company there is lots of growth potential. The hourly pay rates can also be HIGHLY competitive. This is a casual dining company where you can go from the bottom to the top, and make damn good money along the way.

Cons

Once you hit the higher levels of the company you have absolutely zero job security. I mentioned ABRH in the pro's, and unfortunately while they are the people who are keeping the company alive, they are killing the soul of the company.

The company has lost the way of a loyal loving company that embraced it's culture in terms of guest dining experience, as well a employee culture... If you luck out and find a store run by old hands (there are a few left in the company, though many were pushed out) you will have a great experience.

Be prepare for a bottom dollar set up company, that looks at the numbers first, second, and third with the people being a distant fourth.

Continue the amazing work keeping the company competitive with it's rivals, and changing with the times (product wise), but strongly look at the company culture of the 80's and 90's.