Max & Erma's Restaurants

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Robert Forbes

1. Can be crazy, but mostly fun. Dedication is a must.

Current Employee - Server in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Server in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Max & Erma's Restaurants

Pros

The people! We keep each other going, day in and day out. It truly takes a team effort to keep a restaurant running smoothly, and on most days we seem to do a pretty good job. Our guests are great for the most part, too. Those of us that have been there for the longest time have just come to understand how this business works, and we make the best of it everyday. All in all, it's a fun place to work. We get the job done.

Cons

So much focus is put on surveys that our guests take, to the point of being ridiculous. Very heavy workload some days, being put on a small number of people. Always being rushed to "get off the clock." Some days we're running on a skeleton crew, with perfect results still expected. The values that are preached are all great, but they're not always lived out by store management.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach - at all times. Lead by example. See your crew as made up of individual people, men and women, and not just dollar signs for the restaurant. BE KIND TO EVERY SINGLE PERSON! Stop trying to run the store by being condescending and rude. We don't respond well to being treated like kindergarteners.

2. Max & Erma

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Columbus, OH

I worked at Max & Erma's Restaurants

Pros

Had a great time with co-workers and management. The good seasons and weekends during convention center were very nice. Closed at a reasonable hour.

Cons

Attached to hotel so it was open on holidays. Left prior to the change but heard from former co-workers it was not a positive change. Have not been back to visit in some time.

Advice to Management

Each restaurant ownership varies but corporate policies that were implemented due to being connected to hotel was frustrating where other restaurants did not have the same policies.

3. Fun place

Former Employee - Server in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Server in Columbus, OH

I worked at Max & Erma's Restaurants

Pros

Fun work environment. There was good teamwork

Cons

Some of the managers care some do not so its hard to stay motivated to increase sales if the manager is not motivated.

5. Poorly Managed, with no clear vision.

Former Employee - Server in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Server in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Max & Erma's Restaurants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Max & Erma's has a laid back atmosphere.

Cons

The laid back atmosphere is too laid back, employee's have little discipline. Control of restaraunt is centered on the general manager, sub managers have no autonomy, giving them little ability to be affective. GM is too busy to with grunt work to know how her store is actually operating.

Advice to Management

GM needs to take on a more passive and delegative role, where they can observe what is actually going on. GM also needs to have a firmer stance and not try to be friends with her employees.

6. labor based=):

Former Employee - Food Server in Auburn Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Food Server in Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at Max & Erma's Restaurants (Less than a year)

Pros

Tortilla soup is pretty good

Cons

Poor team work, poor management, not very clean, cant handle any sort of rush, usual restaurant cons.

Advice to Management

manage?

7. great place to work

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Max & Erma's Restaurants

Pros

A lot of room for growth. Upper Management really care.

Cons

they need to open more stores

Untalented and Confused Leadership

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Max & Erma's Restaurants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very few pros working for this concept; Free Cookie Wednesday was partially successful until they cannibalized their own concept with another; Free Pie Wednesdays at O'Charleys; both owned by ABRH.

Cons

Executive management all released from an Applebee's franchisee. Not skilled to be the franchisor, lacks vision. Acting president is from a concept in New England that no one has ever heard of in the Midwest.

Above-store leadership did not believe in developing their management teams, but had expectations far above their capabilities.

Were told to not hire any full time employees because of benefits; replace any departing full time employees with 2 part time. Not invested in their teams, only worried about food cost, labor cost and selling more alcohol to shrink the sales and profit gap.

Antiquated restaurant practices that don't work; employees these days expect more, and M&E has very little to offer.

Advice to Management

Find talent at the executive level that understands the Midwest; stop couponing and devaluing your menu; let servers add 20% to parties so they actually make money. Put some time, energy, and resources into developing your managers into successful business people.

9. Server

I worked at Max & Erma's Restaurants

Pros

Liked working with the people, had some great managers that did actually care about their employees.

Cons

Management turnover, sometimes did not take into consideration your changing availability due to school or other commitments.

Advice to Management

Treat servers like they do actually matter.

10. I worked at Max & Erma's Restaurants part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Made a lot of good friends, good management, and there's always a contest going on

Cons

There was a little bit of favoritism played

11. Not enough customers

Former Employee - Server in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Server in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Max & Erma's Restaurants

Pros

Nice staff and nice customers. Menu wasn't too hard to memorize.

Cons

Not enough customers so I didn't get many tips.

RSS Feed </> Embed