Max & Erma's Restaurants

Add Photos

Robert Forbes

Waitress

I have been working at Max & Erma's Restaurants

ProsCo-workers were friendly. Frequent Customers were great.

ConsGM is a micro manager who just yells all the time.

Fun environment, in a family oriented restaurant

Lansing, MI

I worked at Max & Erma's Restaurants part-time for more than a year

ProsThe menu was not too difficult to learn, and the coworkers were great.

ConsThe management could have used improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with each other.

Amazing experience.

I have been working at Max & Erma's Restaurants full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSince being purchased by American Blue Ribbon Holdings, there has been an influx of capital in order to make improvements to guest dining experiences in addition to employee satisfaction. The opportunity to develop interpersonal skills is something I'll cherish forever. Employees hate "free cookies Wednesday" but the promotion is really successful and maintains high levels of guest frequency.

ConsThis is strictly constructive criticism from an employee who loves his company and his job. I have an obsession with "finding a better way." Business isn't what is was years ago and the marketing strategy is confusing. The goal seems to be to attain business of the 20-30 something alcohol consumer while promoting a family friendly diner complete with a sundae bar and kids eat free promotions. No options to add gratuity to parties is a disappointment. Way, way, way too many coupons.

Advice to Senior ManagementClearly define your core competency. Consider regionalizing the menu. Having kitchen staff do more (more dishes, more expediting, more soups etc.) in order to keep the sales team on the sales floor. Institute a "bright ideas" box to tap into the plethora of knowledge from people who do the job. And most importantly, keep up the great work. .

I worked at Max and Erma's in Pickerington for almost five years as a server, carryout, and hostess.

Pickerington, OH

I worked at Max & Erma's Restaurants part-time for more than 3 years

ProsA great sense of team-work at my location. Praised for hard work.

ConsThe turn-over and relocation of managers was too high.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage by walking around. The best managers were the ones who were helping the staff and knew how to do every position.

My experience was generally positive, but slightly confusing.

Bartender (Former Employee)
Oaks, PA

I worked at Max & Erma's Restaurants part-time for more than a year

ProsIt is a good environment, that for the most part generally cares about its employees. The culture towards the guests is a good culture, with guidelines for more than just serving.

ConsCorporate headquarters and the franchise store I was in had an interesting communication issue that never seemed to be resolved and caused for differences in presentation and performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to communicate with both between management and the employees and management and headquarters.

Manager

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Detroit, MI

I have been working at Max & Erma's Restaurants full-time for more than a year

Prosgreat team working at restaurant level

Consa lots of the management team like the title but they don't do the work!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementAces in place Sir!!!

Good Management, fun Co-workers, potential for good tips

Monroeville, PA

I worked at Max & Erma's Restaurants full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI worked at the Max'n Ermas in Monroeville, PA. Max'n Ermas is a pretty laid back restaurant to work at, as a server. It's a nicer middle-class restaurant, with good food. Most custers are friendly and understanding. I typically averaged 18-20 percent of my shift sales in tips. Management is very friendly and understanding and usually willing to help if you get too busy.
You can get promoted to Assistant Manager after working there for a couple years, if you've never been in the industry before.

ConsSometimes changes come from corporate that make serving more difficult, or reduce the average check amount, but you just take it in stride.
Additionally, some of the servers have been working in the industry too long and are kindof bitter and unsocial towards newcomers (Similar to Naiomi from the movie "Waiting" lol).

Wish they were a publicly held company so I could short the stock and actually make money.

Server, Expo, Trainer (Former Employee)

I worked at Max & Erma's Restaurants full-time for more than a year

ProsPeople who work along side you...

Some of the food is actually good...

Hours are good because they close at 12pm sun-thur and 1 pm fri-sat..

ConsWow so many things I could write for hours about this...

Three course combos, and $5.00 off $20.00 coupons are a smack in the face for servers, they need to be lunch only.... People can eat there cheaper then at Wendy's!!! I heard the funniest thing ever from a manager that if they didn't have the 3 C Combo or $5 coupon people would not eat here, well that's was a red flag.

1 hour cook times for a burger is the standard operating practice... No chance in turning your tables over when a rush hits...

Things I think M & E fails at on a everyday basis...
-No expo unless its Fri or Sat night if your lucky,
-No Bussers,
-No Dish Washer unless the cooks and managers are not busy,
-No auto grat for parties,
-Can not leave condiments on the tables, i.e. mustard and ketchup... ( Its a burger Joint why make someone pick up and replace something a million times during a shift, this is not a fine dinning establishment people use these things and want them on the table )
-Break the 80-20 rule for side work for servers on a daily basis, and yes this is an actual law contact the labor dept if they break this rule even once while working,
-Give straight to your door a automatic 20% off all food purchases... While only giving 25% to employees when not working, so if M & E can afford to give straight to your door/ or other delivery services 20% M & E can afford to give the carry out/bar person 20% of the total bill also, you will work a shift and prepare hundreds of dollars worth of food for FREE!!!
-Management's food / labor costs are the only things they worry about,
-Food is comped at an alarming rate,
-Training is a joke,
-Managers are overworked and underpaid, and can not do simple things like order silverware, or glassware when running short,
-Over staff's servers since it only costs $2.65 an hour hence free labor to clean and do other jobs that have nothing to do with waiting tables.
-Under staff' cooks and sends people on 2-6 hour breaks while slow instead of preping food, and getting ready for the next rush,
-Unattainable bonuses for management,
-Asking people how they like their burger cooked, because only 3 of the 12 cooks can actually do this, Follow the KISS model Keep It Simple Stupid

Advice to Senior ManagementGive store management the tools to become successful, and not push every penny outta them as possible, saving $10.00 an hour and giving away $70.00 in food is silly!!!

Fun post-college

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Max & Erma's Restaurants full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt was fast paced and started out very financially rewarding

ConsAs the company was sold, benefits were cut, including quarterly bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on consistency and providing guests what they want.

Max & Erma's

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Max & Erma's Restaurants full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIt's a restaraunt, so they are always hiring if you are looking for a job quickly.

ConsThis company went from a family oriented eviroment that embraced it's employees to an enviroment that does not respect it's employees nor care for it's customers. The work conditions are below par and the type of work is completely out of one's job scope.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvestigate your General Manager's and thier work ethics. The Manager's do not follow policies and procedures and have no repsect for employees, even those who have been there since the restaraunt opened.

Worked for Max & Erma's Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Max & Erma's Restaurants reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Max & Erma's Restaurants CEO Robert Forbes. All 31 reviews posted anonymously by Max & Erma's Restaurants employees.