Max & Erma's Restaurants

2.9

Robert Forbes

Decent Job

I have been working at Max & Erma's Restaurants

Pros

You can make some good money as a waiter on busy nights. Some nights I made $120, some nights I made $40. I liked most of the people I worked with and made many friends.

Cons

Very fast paced working environment. This is a customer service job so people can be mean.

N/A

It was a good summer job waiting tables.

Former Employee - Waitress in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Waitress in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Max & Erma's Restaurants part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am a people person, so being able to be face-to-face with people was good for me. I enjoyed getting tips and discounts on my food.

Cons

My manager was a real jerk and I could not work in that environment for very long. People in the restaurant industry get sour very quickly.

Do not take your frustration out on your employees.

ABRH

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Erie, PA

I have been working at Max & Erma's Restaurants full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The training involved is thorough and the weekly obligations are financially oriented. COGS and labor are major focuses, beyond a point of some expectations or guest well-being.

Cons

It certainly depends on the Management team, but teamwork is not a core ideology. At times, it seems old-school management techniques are rewarded.

Develop teamwork. Modern management techniques involve paternal values and employees as the major asset.

I was very dissatisfied.

I have been working at Max & Erma's Restaurants full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love the employees I work with/

Cons

Its a dirty place in general. Not well managed.

Mediocre at best

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Fairlawn, OH
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Fairlawn, OH

I worked at Max & Erma's Restaurants part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours. No one gave a crap what was going on so actual work was minimal. Occasional decent nights and $200+ doubles.

Cons

Managers were largely incompetent and the other employees just shy of the fast track to prison. Most lunch shifts, servers would have two or three tables and be lucky to make $15 in tips total. No busters ever, and expos only on Friday and Saturday. I routinely prepared my own food because the cooks weren't around to do it. The dishwasher did everything but the dishes. If you need a restaurant job, choose somewhere else.

Hire actual decent employees. Maybe start drug testing.

Great for a restaurant job

Current Employee - Server in North Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Server in North Canton, OH

I have been working at Max & Erma's Restaurants full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, positive work environment. Get along very well with the management. Company sells a quality product that people enjoy.

Cons

Company pursues a lot of promotions in a half-cocked fashion, only to move in a different direction without warning. Tries to motivate employees with contests, but doesn't follow through with rewards.

great staff, management lacks passion or care.

I worked at Max & Erma's Restaurants

Pros

Great staff, good customers, flexible

Cons

Management doesn't live up to "corporate culture"

Actually work

Changes in owners changes in values

I worked at Max & Erma's Restaurants (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a company that has struggled for years under frankly horrible owners and corporate management. About 3 years ago they were bought by a large company ABRH (American Blue Ribbon Holding) which has been going on a spree of restaurant purchases. They know how to make profitable companies, but they don't necessarily understand the companies they are buying.

The company is growing, and is stable. As of when I left, and what I have gathered from the people I still know in the company there is lots of growth potential. The hourly pay rates can also be HIGHLY competitive. This is a casual dining company where you can go from the bottom to the top, and make damn good money along the way.

Cons

Once you hit the higher levels of the company you have absolutely zero job security. I mentioned ABRH in the pro's, and unfortunately while they are the people who are keeping the company alive, they are killing the soul of the company.

The company has lost the way of a loyal loving company that embraced it's culture in terms of guest dining experience, as well a employee culture... If you luck out and find a store run by old hands (there are a few left in the company, though many were pushed out) you will have a great experience.

Be prepare for a bottom dollar set up company, that looks at the numbers first, second, and third with the people being a distant fourth.

Continue the amazing work keeping the company competitive with it's rivals, and changing with the times (product wise), but strongly look at the company culture of the 80's and 90's.

"The Other Employees Make or Break the experience"

Former Employee - Server/Host in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Server/Host in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Max & Erma's Restaurants full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great staff, pretty easy to get hired and keep your job if you're capable of being a competent employee. Absolutely room to grow, all of the managers had worked their way up. The food is actually good and environment clean, so it's easy to sell to guests with confidence.

Cons

Corporate can be a little heavy handed. They were friendly but imposed rules that didn't seem to make any sense sometimes.

Listen to the employees and management from each location on advice about running that location. Each place is different and not everything you can just copy and paste.

Doesn't live to it's values, some very bad managers

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Max & Erma's Restaurants full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They care about work life balance, some stores you can have it

Cons

Bad GM's, lack of knowledge, old stores, most stores SLOW.

Get your managers to understand the business. Too many internal promotes and that leads to favoritism and your team notices it. There are a lot of loyal Team members (10+ years) who will tell you what it use to be like, that doesn't matter. it is what they do now with what they have. And that is poor managers in the stores, half the managers got promoted probably because of the time they spent there but can't tell you how to properly run food cost. Its a shame a good company is and will fail how this one will.