Max & Erma's Restaurants

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Robert Forbes

Changes in owners changes in values

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis is a company that has struggled for years under frankly horrible owners and corporate management. About 3 years ago they were bought by a large company ABRH (American Blue Ribbon Holding) which has been going on a spree of restaurant purchases. They know how to make profitable companies, but they don't necessarily understand the companies they are buying.

The company is growing, and is stable. As of when I left, and what I have gathered from the people I still know in the company there is lots of growth potential. The hourly pay rates can also be HIGHLY competitive. This is a casual dining company where you can go from the bottom to the top, and make damn good money along the way.

ConsOnce you hit the higher levels of the company you have absolutely zero job security. I mentioned ABRH in the pro's, and unfortunately while they are the people who are keeping the company alive, they are killing the soul of the company.

The company has lost the way of a loyal loving company that embraced it's culture in terms of guest dining experience, as well a employee culture... If you luck out and find a store run by old hands (there are a few left in the company, though many were pushed out) you will have a great experience.

Be prepare for a bottom dollar set up company, that looks at the numbers first, second, and third with the people being a distant fourth.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the amazing work keeping the company competitive with it's rivals, and changing with the times (product wise), but strongly look at the company culture of the 80's and 90's.

"The Other Employees Make or Break the experience"

Server/Host (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGreat staff, pretty easy to get hired and keep your job if you're capable of being a competent employee. Absolutely room to grow, all of the managers had worked their way up. The food is actually good and environment clean, so it's easy to sell to guests with confidence.

ConsCorporate can be a little heavy handed. They were friendly but imposed rules that didn't seem to make any sense sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees and management from each location on advice about running that location. Each place is different and not everything you can just copy and paste.

Doesn't live to it's values, some very bad managers

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThey care about work life balance, some stores you can have it

ConsBad GM's, lack of knowledge, old stores, most stores SLOW.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your managers to understand the business. Too many internal promotes and that leads to favoritism and your team notices it. There are a lot of loyal Team members (10+ years) who will tell you what it use to be like, that doesn't matter. it is what they do now with what they have. And that is poor managers in the stores, half the managers got promoted probably because of the time they spent there but can't tell you how to properly run food cost. Its a shame a good company is and will fail how this one will.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Way too corporate. Four table sections with the restaurant on a decline

Bartender (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsAlthough I wasn't part of it they appear to have a great management training program for those looking to move up.

ConsToo corporate for me. Push the cookies!! Ugh You can make a lot more money bartending at other establishments if you are willing to sacrifice the benefits. The restaurant menu is dated

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate the menu and restaurant to help bring back customers.

Amazing Place to Work

Server (Former Employee) Oaks, PA

ProsStaff is helpful and nice. You get to meet new people and the managers care about who you are.

ConsSchedule varies, have to work some holidays (Mother's Day, Father's Day, 4th of July)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep supporting your team and teach them.

Very little potential for advancement

Server (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsIt is a restaurant job, very similar to most restaurants

Consweird hours, little opportunity for advancenment

Waitress

ProsCo-workers were friendly. Frequent Customers were great.

ConsGM is a micro manager who just yells all the time.

Fun environment, in a family oriented restaurant

Server (Former Employee) Lansing, MI

ProsThe menu was not too difficult to learn, and the coworkers were great.

ConsThe management could have used improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with each other.

Amazing experience.

ProsSince being purchased by American Blue Ribbon Holdings, there has been an influx of capital in order to make improvements to guest dining experiences in addition to employee satisfaction. The opportunity to develop interpersonal skills is something I'll cherish forever. Employees hate "free cookies Wednesday" but the promotion is really successful and maintains high levels of guest frequency.

ConsThis is strictly constructive criticism from an employee who loves his company and his job. I have an obsession with "finding a better way." Business isn't what is was years ago and the marketing strategy is confusing. The goal seems to be to attain business of the 20-30 something alcohol consumer while promoting a family friendly diner complete with a sundae bar and kids eat free promotions. No options to add gratuity to parties is a disappointment. Way, way, way too many coupons.

Advice to Senior ManagementClearly define your core competency. Consider regionalizing the menu. Having kitchen staff do more (more dishes, more expediting, more soups etc.) in order to keep the sales team on the sales floor. Institute a "bright ideas" box to tap into the plethora of knowledge from people who do the job. And most importantly, keep up the great work. .

I worked at Max and Erma's in Pickerington for almost five years as a server, carryout, and hostess.

Server (Former Employee) Pickerington, OH

ProsA great sense of team-work at my location. Praised for hard work.

ConsThe turn-over and relocation of managers was too high.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage by walking around. The best managers were the ones who were helping the staff and knew how to do every position.

Worked for Max & Erma's Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!