MaxLinear Reviews in Carlsbad, CA

Conversation with the CEO

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at MaxLinear full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have worked at MaxLinear for about a year- as a staff level engineer. The CEO is a frequent visitor to our work areas-asking how its going- what are the problems and listening to our technical discussions.

Cons

Some of the cross functional communication is clumsy and not always effective - too many emails on the same subject.

Keep meetings brief and to the point

Top level talent, most intelligent people I've known in the industry

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at MaxLinear full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent option for career growth and exposure to multiple areas within the IC design field. Definitely will not be stuck designing or iterating on the same type of topologies / components of the system block diagram. Great location.

Cons

Definitely not a 9-5 job if that's what you are looking for. Pace can be intense but the level of growth after a few years is worth it.

Great Year to be at MaxLinear

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at MaxLinear full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of hires this year of smart engineers- added talent to the teams- products good and pace is fast and interesting

Cons

Pace is sometimes hectic but it comes and goes so not like that all the time

Continue with the frequent communication- company events this year were fun

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

HR Is A Revolving Door

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at MaxLinear full-time for more than a year

Pros

Sometimes they have BBQs. The employees are hard working.

Cons

Human Resources employees at MaxLinear have a shelf life of approx 6 months. Work hours are long and demanding. There is no work/family balance. You are required to work 60-80 hours per week including weekends. They put you on salary so you don't get paid overtime. The environment becomes hostile when leadership yells at employees.

Leadership is proven to be autocratic. Leadership does not listen to or understand the needs of employees.

Great company to start at and grow in your career

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at MaxLinear full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

MaxLinear is a great place to work. The company is big enough to have really smart engineers to learn from but small enough that I have had a lot of exposure to the r&d process and not just a small part of it. We move fast here but coworkers are driven and the higher ups are involved and available. I’ve gained a lot more experience than my friends who went to bigger companies.

Cons

Time frames can be pretty tight so more time would be better so we can develop the best products possible.

Worst company ever to work for!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at MaxLinear for more than 3 years

Pros

I literally have nothing positive to say about this compnay. It was the worst working experience of my life. I wouldn't recommend my worst enemy apply for a job here.

Cons

Horrible company. Terrible benefits. Managers and founders have no idea what they are doing. Very toxic work environment. Lots of incompetent managers. No one is ever held accountable for thier actions.

I dont think this place is fixable.

No life and no rewards!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at MaxLinear full-time for less than a year

Pros

there are some nice peple there

Cons

Management treats employees horribly. If you want employees to work long hours (days+nights+weekends, which are expected) you need to appreciate them for the efforts, not threaten them if they don't work more. Executives and senior management threaten and yell at employees all the time. Employees are intimidated to speak up if there is an issue. A collaborative and creative work environment is near impossible there. This behavior by executives shouldn't be tolerated, but HR doesn't do anything to help. They need to fire the President and get a real one who knows how to run a company.

Treat your employees with respect. Hire a real President.

Not for everyone

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at MaxLinear full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stock seems doing better recently.

Cons

Very bad people skills and rudeness of management.

Less politics in management.

Excellent

Former Employee - Staff Engineer  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at MaxLinear

Pros

Perfect Startup. Ample opportunity to learn. No beating around bush and negligible politics in work place. Customer driven and to the point. Engineering driven.

Management encourages risk taking. Making mistakes in the process is OK. If you are serious about work (which you have to if you work there) you have only one way to go.

Great People in the company. However, it is a unique company in terms of culture.

Beer party almost every month during work hour. If your cubicle is close to the CEO's office, and stick around until 7PM on a Friday, you might get to drink fine wine every other week. Just bring your glass.

Cons

It's a great startup environment, but Maxlinear is really not a startup. It's a 70M+ company. It's great in what it does - i.e. Analog RF, but the company surely needs to improve its strength in software in order to increase its revenue and become a mid-size company. However, there is a tradeoff and I am not sure if the top management is sure about the direction of the company. Do what you do best and take risk in that field? Or spend resource in tech domain that is more lucrative, however without ample experience? Top management seems to be more comfortable in the first option. It's really not a bad thing. But, then the company has public offering.

In this company lot of people are not comfortable with the culture. Work life balance would score in negative. Thats a cliche if you are a Maxlinear employee. But I hear these days management is really serious about it and encouraging people to leave at 6:30.

Lot of people also complain that the culture in the company is too loud. Working in this company very soon one would realize that thats also the strength of this company. Nothing is sugarcoated. People here don't really like colleagues who sugarcoat things. As a result, the company is so direct that it's often uncomfortable when manager does 'informal' 1x1 in your cube with other people around. I have seen and heard this many time in this company. That must change.

Although more words spent on Cons than on Pros, in my mind, in this company the pro vs con is 75% vs. 25%. Just because of the reason you will enjoy your work. If you somehow don't, nobody will be likely to stop you from taking a job profile in the company which you like within roundabout skillset... most of the time something will be available, or made available.. Also I hope the company continues to encourage its employees taking risks.

Keep doing the great work. Keep bringing Belgian beers in the patio parties..

Good place to learn, but not so good to stay for the long term (>3 years)

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at MaxLinear

Pros

- A unique mix-signal company that does everything from analog input to transport stream output.
    - Optimization are done system-wide to achieve high efficiency which is important for the consumer market.
    - Learning curve is steep but satisfying once you got it.
    - Good starting place for young people with no family (yet).

Cons

- High pressure environment where individuals are pushed to the max.
    - Management (at least some) has little respect for engineers.
    - Micro-management and bad design decisions cause both schedule slip and emotional stress.
    - Flawed/unachievable plans were made purely based on schedule requirements.
    - Becoming an IP integration house where low power and cost are the only weapons.
    - Very hard to balance family live and work.

- Have reasonable expectations, set achievable goals, don't take shortcuts
    - Accountability != finger pointing
    - Firm != yelling/shouting
    - Boost moral from successful products and proper rewards
    - R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Worked for MaxLinear? Contribute to the Community!