MaxLinear Reviews

Updated June 9, 2014
3.5

MaxLinear CEO Dr. Kishore Seendripu
Dr. Kishore Seendripu

Great place to work but not for everyone!

Current Employee - Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at MaxLinear full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

fast growing, rewarding, everyone is aware and appreciate your hard work. if you are doing a good job everyone will see it from your direct manager all the way up to CEO. I personally admire the CEO. He stops by and start a conversation with almost everyone very often. He is very rough on Sales and Marketing but nicer to engineers. guess what, he used to be an engineer not long time ago. I was given several opportunities within the company. It is not something you see in other companies at least in my experience.
    I made a lot of life-time friends there.

Cons

If you are looking for a place to have easy 8- hours job and raise your shoulder when there is a problem, this is not for you. Everyone works harder than what they supposed to.
    There are some underachieved managers in charge unfortunately. If i was CEO i would fire a few.
    The salary rate is lower compare to other companies within the same industry.

Have a weekly open discussion meeting, have senior engineers work on a topic and share it with everyone.
    That's why they get the big bucks.

challenging place to work

I have been working at MaxLinear

Pros

MaxLinear is one of the fastest growing companies in the section, and you'll share the fair benefit. (At least for now, people are happy with stock price rise-up)

Cons

Work load is quite challenging, and the work flow is less stable than the bigger companies. The company begins to hiring the managerial level from the other companies rather than promoting from the insiders.

Conversation with the CEO

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at MaxLinear full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have worked at MaxLinear for about a year- as a staff level engineer. The CEO is a frequent visitor to our work areas-asking how its going- what are the problems and listening to our technical discussions.

Cons

Some of the cross functional communication is clumsy and not always effective - too many emails on the same subject.

Keep meetings brief and to the point

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Top level talent, most intelligent people I've known in the industry

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at MaxLinear full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent option for career growth and exposure to multiple areas within the IC design field. Definitely will not be stuck designing or iterating on the same type of topologies / components of the system block diagram. Great location.

Cons

Definitely not a 9-5 job if that's what you are looking for. Pace can be intense but the level of growth after a few years is worth it.

Great Year to be at MaxLinear

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at MaxLinear full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of hires this year of smart engineers- added talent to the teams- products good and pace is fast and interesting

Cons

Pace is sometimes hectic but it comes and goes so not like that all the time

Continue with the frequent communication- company events this year were fun

HR Is A Revolving Door

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at MaxLinear full-time for more than a year

Pros

Sometimes they have BBQs. The employees are hard working.

Cons

Human Resources employees at MaxLinear have a shelf life of approx 6 months. Work hours are long and demanding. There is no work/family balance. You are required to work 60-80 hours per week including weekends. They put you on salary so you don't get paid overtime. The environment becomes hostile when leadership yells at employees.

Leadership is proven to be autocratic. Leadership does not listen to or understand the needs of employees.

Great company to start at and grow in your career

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at MaxLinear full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

MaxLinear is a great place to work. The company is big enough to have really smart engineers to learn from but small enough that I have had a lot of exposure to the r&d process and not just a small part of it. We move fast here but coworkers are driven and the higher ups are involved and available. I’ve gained a lot more experience than my friends who went to bigger companies.

Cons

Time frames can be pretty tight so more time would be better so we can develop the best products possible.

Great place to get broad based technical exposure.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at MaxLinear full-time for more than a year

Pros

Engineering teams work on cross functional teams and quickly build broader base technical skills. A great career move! The access to the senior leaders is open to all. Since many of them are also engineers it often is a great conversation.

Cons

Being a smaller company there are sometimes some resource challenges but the teams in other countries really do their part so it all works.

Not a Cog

I have been working at MaxLinear

Pros

Because Maxlinear is smaller - you get to do things that you can't do for years and years in a larger organization. You are not "just some cog in the wheel" you are a player from the start! It is a place of intensity - work really hard and play hard. There are great people to hang out with so you never have to feel out of things. Cool groups that get together.

Cons

It is a real open and accessible enviornment - you can walk right up to the CEO and talk with him but sometimes he can be a little demanding.

I love this company! The place to make your dream come true!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at MaxLinear full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It is a greatest place for engineering and management to gain incredible experience in the short time and grow up rapidly with company. I really enjoy the engineers around me and the positive attitude from everyone to win every design. I feel strongly we work as a team and gain the credit together. There is no individual worker who just finishes the assigned job and goes home. The teammates just like my family and cover each other when there is any difficulty inside and outside the job. Awesome working culture! Everyone likes to win and treats this company as his own!

Cons

Need to focus on higher ASP products in the road map to turn the engineering/management effort to be valuable!

Keep up the great work to make precise decision and keep respecting each employee as last year.

Worked for MaxLinear? Contribute to the Community!