MaxMedia

Updated December 20, 2014

Keehlin Wheeler

Great people

I worked at MaxMedia full-time

Pros

The people are great, clients are actually really good. Projects are interesting and don't feel like a waste of time. They genuinely care about both their employees and clients, which is rare.

Cons

Design dominates the process, developers can get burned out quickly and aren't highly respected by PMs. Timelines often run over then get dumped on a small group of people to fix a project.

Don't hire entry-level people to PM large projects.

You Can Do Better

I worked at MaxMedia full-time

Pros

Energetic design culture that does its best to solve complex design challenges. A CEO who wants to see people succeed.

Cons

No real strong knowledge of design outside of the Customer Experience area. The operations area of the company is a joke and pretends to "get it". In reality, that area's heavy hand really makes good design solutions nearly impossible to implement. It's sad that we couldn't get any new business in diverse business areas other than the one client that the owner has.

Get serious about design. Get small minded ideas about "operations" out of the conversation and keep good ideas about how to run the place flowing.

Fun place that is moving in the right direction

I worked at MaxMedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They're moving in the right direction. Everyone in the company genuinely likes each other and theres no big sense of cliques. I think that maxmedia gives you the ability to grow in your profession you just have to be motivated and go get it. Great place to be at and they definitely have it going in a good direction.

Cons

Like every agency out there, there are pains. Maxmedia is going in a new direction and is experience some growing pains, its not really any different than any other office trying to grow into itself. I think sometimes communication can lack in between departments but that happens everywhere too!

Get a handle on messaging changes and just communicate.

Innovative Agency

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at MaxMedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Collaborative culture, flexible, relatively flat organization;
    Produce high-quality work, very good work-life balance - they don't make you work late nights all the time and don't overload you with too much work;
    Lots of opportunity to take on responsibility and lead - not a large hierarchy, so every decision doesn't have to go through a ton of people
    Open-minded - creative input can come from anyone... account people, PMs, office manager, etc.
    Conference attendance is encouraged - the company pays to send pretty much anyone who is interested to conferences across the country.. flight, hotel, tickets, everything. Anyone who goes to a conference comes back and presents key learnings to the entire staff so that everyone can benefit
    Company pays for some continuing education too so you can advance your career
    Lots of emphasis placed on rewards and recognition with monthly awards in the staff meetings, company outings off site, free summer fridays, extra holiday time off, etc.

Cons

agency is experiencing a lot of growth, so with that comes change; sometimes things are changed that don't make sense right away;
    need better onboarding for people - not a lot of hand-holding even during your first few weeks

Communicate more with staff so that changes are better understood and accepted;
    would like to see clear growth paths for the roles at the company and what it takes to get to the next level

I think this could be the worst job I've ever had.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at MaxMedia as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

There are some really eager, new graduates working there.

Cons

The number one thing that I would say is working against the company is management. Everything about the place seems to be unstable. From the frequent lack of toilet paper in the bathrooms to the fact that people are fired (even long-time employees) at a whim after promises of long-term projects. And I think that's part of the problem. Maxmedia appears to struggle to earn new client work. And without those additional clients, it's sad but anyone who comes to work there is working at a production house of maxmedia's few clients. It's a churn and burn operation, in spite of what management says.

Project leads won't push back on unreasonable client requests because they don't have the leverage. That leaves the people doing the actual design work to suffer.

With a management team that seems so over their heads in defining and solving problems it's no wonder turnover is so high. Personally, I love dynamic environments but everyday there seemed to be a new policy or practice that replaced the old ill-defined policy or practice. This is a difficult place to work because apparently maxmedia has not been able to convince prospects that they can do interesting work and solve unique challenges. But more importantly the company seems to be experiencing a dual crisis of identity and managerial competency.

Project management can go either way. Either you've got super sharp, proactive and experienced people or you've got fresh graduates with no professional depth. This lack of symmetry adds to the feeling that there is always the possibility that you'll have to play project manager even if that's not your job. And even when you raise this through the proper channels it may or may not get addressed.

Management likes to speak in aspirational terms but it seems that they have no ability to translate that into action. This is the closest thing to operational chaos that I've experienced.

In short, I would not recommend maxmedia to anyone until they get their operational house in order and get a wider array of clients.

I think the owner is a great guy who has simply misplaced his company in the wrong hands.

Growing agency with tons to learn from brilliant people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at MaxMedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Maxmedia is a growing agency that work with exciting global brands. Like many other digital agencies, they have had their ups and downs but a strong cultural work ethic and competitive desire always helps them win business and deliver great work. There is a super fun office environment, brilliant coworkers, and great quarterly social activities.

Cons

Oftentimes we get so attached to the product we're working on; the client often has to step in and remind us that we don't actually fully own the vision and direction - frustrating but natural part of working at an agency.

With aggressive growth, don't loose the cool/rebel factor that MaxMedia carries.

Bottom of the barrel of Atlanta agencies.

Former Employee - Architect in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Architect in Atlanta, GA

I worked at MaxMedia as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Okay with telecommuting from home.

Cons

Highly unorganized project planning and work flow streams. An employee's tenure hinges on one client project, week-to-week potentially. An odd working environment as no one collaborates well, and third party solutions are used at a rapid rate and sold to the client as uniquely built solutions. Shady business practices abound in most aspects which leads to gouging the clients budget and never really producing unique creative solutions. Whether you are looking for contract-to--hire or freelance this may not be the place for you if you are wanting steady work. I and others were let go, without notice (myself the day of finishing another project) when we had long standing agreed upon contracts.

This spoke volumes to me about Maxmedia. I was let go via email, and I was in the office that same day. Like a girl breaking up with you via text messages...this is Maxmedia.

Show more appreciation for the talent you have and also be more honest with candidates before you bring them on.

Poor understand of resourcing needs

Former Employee - Front End Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Front End Developer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at MaxMedia as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent management of the front end team. Tasks are assigned to the entire team, and everyone takes the initiative of knocking each tasks. Code is reviewed daily. Team lead has a full grasp on what each team member is working on at all times.

Cons

For non-executive positions, they have a pretty strict ~3 month contract-to-hire policy. I was lured from a full-time position under the premise that there was plenty of work to go around, and people rarely aren't turned over to full time. However, within a month and a half I was let go because they had lost the main project I was working on. Didn't really expect my employment to rely on a single project.

When you hire someone on with the mindset of going full-time, make sure there is enough work to keep them. If they are only needed for one project, they should be brought on strictly as a contractor.

Up and Down. Depending on the Day

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at MaxMedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great High Profile Clients and Projects

Cons

Employee Moral is LOW. Management doesn't seem very appreciative.

Show more appreciate for the employees in the trenches doing the day-to-day

LOOKS AND FEELS GREAT...BUT

I worked at MaxMedia

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, fun place, good people (NOT MANAGEMENT THOUGH)

Cons

Management was dark and NO training involved in any processes. Little communication. High personnel rotation. Nobody lasts there more than a year or 2. Look around and you'll see I'm right.

Do a big...big change. Make sure staff and time frames are respected. This is a big issue there .if you have a solid job, don't go there. Personnel rotation is VERY HIGH.