Maxim Healthcare Services

Updated December 18, 2014
2.8

Maxim Healthcare Services CEO W. Bradley (Brad) Bennett
W. Bradley (Brad) Bennett

Pros
  • Learned a lot by being by myself, so had no choice but to take deep breath and figure it out (in 14 reviews)

• Work life balance-compensation- Fairly honest in office staff-- (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • They only say that they care about work-life balance but in fact they really don't (in 17 reviews)

• long hours for recruiters, you have to do some nights on call (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to start your career

I have been working at Maxim Healthcare Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very loyal company. If you can make it into management you can do well. Office culture is very young and fun!

Cons

Maxim does not take care of it's worker bees. The recruiters make the company a lot of money and they are not compensated for it. Most recruiting companies pay 10-20% commissions....Maxim pays 2% team shared commission.

Please help us grow! Figuring things out on our own is good for some parts of the job....not all of it!

Very accommodating and down to earth; makes you feel like a family.

I have been working at Maxim Healthcare Services

Pros

Room for growth & advancement.

Cons

Sorry, but no cons here.

Proud to be affiliated with a reputable company with high standard for care and respect for the employees. All the best!

Registered Nurse

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Boston, MA

I have been working at Maxim Healthcare Services part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work available when requested, continuing education provided on an annual basis including CEU's.
    Work is at will so time off is never a problem. I also have received raises each year. company will find jobs that fit your skill sets.

Cons

Company values are consistent with any other care provider, health care is offered for employees who work a set amount of hours. My wages are higher than the standard rate for standard staff nurses of the positions I fill. The only con I can think of is unrelated to the company and that is agency nurses are looked down on.

On site clinical skills training, computer training, relative college reimbursement.

Good company. They work hard to get you a case.

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse

I have been working at Maxim Healthcare Services part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good recruiters and positive people.

Cons

Need to be reminded of work availability.

Not a bad company to work for. Assist recruiters with increased cases.

Very unorganized

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Maxim Healthcare Services

Pros

Flexible schedule, paid every week, good pay rate with some intense pushing.

Cons

Terrible management with supervisors who shouldn't be supervisors or brand new. I had high hopes, but there were more problems than not. The case didn't even get started correctly, didn't competency the nurses, at all or only partially. Paperwork was in disarray, mainly deals with HHA, was not very prepared for a complex LPN case.

Start over with the Rochester branch, there is no continuity with management, who are not all on the same page ever. And consistently had cancelations from supervisors on home visits.

Maxim employer of choice

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Maxim Healthcare Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great office atmosphere, feel respected most of the time.

Cons

Not enough time to get everything done, too much paperwork, regulations,

Keep asking US how we think things could improve. When you listen, it is obvious. Thank you.

Hard work, a patient-centered drive to succeed, and a LOT of patience with management may take you far.

Former Employee - Clinical Supervisor RN in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Clinical Supervisor RN in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Maxim Healthcare Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Plenty of room to grow from the clinical side. If you're an RN, continue to grow your home health skills and in a couple years, you may become a Clinical Supervisor and eventually a Director of Clinical Services. All depends on the 3 things mentioned in my title.

- Off-site training for a region's Clinical Supervisors is sometimes held, and a great bonding experience.

- If you get along with your coworkers, it's a pretty good atmosphere.

- As a field nurse or a Clinical Supervisor or DOCS, work closely with the Recruiters, they work their butts off and know more about the patients than you do. Working with them as a team made staffing and admin work so much easier and more fun.

- The company is enthusiastic about nurses who show initiative and reward well for one's loyalty.

- Cases are long-term and managing them isn't too difficult, staffing is though! So, seriously, BE KIND AND RESPECT YOUR RECRUITERS. They are an essential part of your team.

Cons

- Office culture varies from office to office, and I never knew of two offices that got along with each other. Lots of rivalry.
    - All of the management need to take a management/leadership/respect course and demonstrate their understanding in their actions in the office.
    - Office culture in my office was terrible. Management can be too immature for their positions and it created an environment of distrust and negativity.
    - Management plays favorites depending on his/her mood.
    - Favoritism is so obvious sometimes I can't believe I worked there.
    - Everyone is underpaid. Field staff have almost NO opportunity for raises unless they decide to work for PRIVATE insurance cases only.
    - While at Maxim, I never felt that we were patient-centered or even field staff centered.

The office is not the place for you to take out your issues. Please try to be mature and keep your negativity to yourselves. The recruiters work their butts off, the clinical supervisors WANT to support you, and the field LVNs/RNs/HHAs are your BACKBONE. Start spreading some love down to those who deserve it most and spend less money on treating yourselves out.

FIRING people in front of the entire office staff is not just mean, it's unprofessional and sows seeds of disloyalty, distrust, and more negativity. Who would want to work hard after that? At least show some compassion and fire individuals before the staff arrive or after the work day ends.

Last but not least, the offices are all structured the same. So if you decide to speak negatively about your office, your staff or a specific individual, KNOW THAT WE CAN ALL HEAR YOU. Regardless of your intention, we're all human beings, treat us as such.

^Some of the lovely reasons why retention is such an issue.

Last piece of advice: Please start remembering that Maxim is a company that SERVES our patients, and owes it to the field staff to provide our patients the excellent care that they do. It would be great to refocus on our primary reason for existence as a company.

Personal feel from office staff and supervisors

Current Employee - Field RN in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Field RN in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Maxim Healthcare Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very flexible when I need things

Cons

Paperwork sometimes slow getting to me

Good opportunities

No change in location pay

Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse
    Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse

I worked at Maxim Healthcare Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the staff is friendly and work to get you working

Cons

They will not change the pay based on the location you live. If you move to higher cost area, the hourly rate stays the same.

none

Rewarding

Former Employee - Program Supervisor - Behavioral Health in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Program Supervisor - Behavioral Health in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Maxim Healthcare Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Are up to date with local, state, and federal polices.

Cons

Promotion depending on your line of business. Staffing and family satisfaction.

Investment