Maxim Integrated Reviews

Updated August 24, 2014

3.1

Maxim Integrated President and CEO Tunc Doluca
Tunc Doluca

Pros
  • I can learn a lot of technical stuff from the company (in 10 reviews)

• Work/Life balance possible, Plate is filled with work always (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is old school and very out of touch with the operator levels (in 16 reviews)

• Sometimes it was tough to maintain work life balance but was manageable (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Maxim Integrated is a great place to work

I have been working at Maxim Integrated full-time

Pros

They really care and try to do the right thing for the employees. They have an amazing communications department and very proactive HR team.

Cons

to many systems, to many policies, it's hard to navigate.

Good environment, nice colleagiues

Current Employee - Principal Member of Technical Staff  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Member of Technical Staff in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Maxim Integrated full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice work environment - helpful coworkers, good pay.

Cons

Occasional re-organisation of group, sometimes dampens the moral.

Constantly Changing

Current Employee - Senior Specialist  in  Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Maxim Integrated full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are good, hours are reasonable for an engineering position. The amount of starting vacation is excellent. The office culture has changed to be a lot less intense that it was 5 years ago. You will have the opportunity to make real changes at this company.

Cons

Management has been changing constantly. Directors have been moved around faster than I can remember. There is a constant feeling of under staffing in all positions. Has almost zero respect for work-life balance. Expected to be "on-line" constantly, including reachable during vacation.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Busy but Rewarding

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff  in  Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Maxim Integrated full-time

Pros

People are encouraged to talk & work with each other. CEO firmly believes in this. As of 08/19/14, we are in the process of transitioning into the newly renovated building. The cubicle walls will be 4FT+ tall and you see everyone. Managers sit next to you; they don't get their own offices. Managers are treated just like you and I, not some god-figure, kings & queens. I like this hierarchy-less feel, this encourages people to work close to each other and challenge your peers/manager if he/she is just plain wrong. If I have question, I just talk through the "wall". Environment is very open & friendly. I love this philosophy.

Busy. Everybody is busy. You will learn a lot at the expense of little time outside work. Many work on weekends. I've been doing 50~60 hours/week, at work & at home. If I work 50 hours, that's considered a blessing, but that almost never happens.

If you want to learn and work LONG hours, this *is* the place to be.

If you want a relaxed working life, go to some defense companies like Raytheon, Northrup, Orbitals…etc join some nonsense companies that do business with the government...etc. These “government-sponsored” companies have the best work-life balance you can possibly imagine. They do this 9day/80hours schedule and you get every other Friday off. NO private-sector company will ever do that. That’s how you burn money. I interviewed one back in 2006 & declined offer immediately. It’s shocking how relaxed it is. You pretty much just chill everyday and find just enough work by yourself to entertain yourself. Other times, you are probably “facebook”-ing. Go read some reviews on Glassdoor yourself. You will see I’m right.

I guarantee you, at Maxim, you will NOT even be able to the find time to check your personal email.

Or if you don't want to move out of state, just go work in Microchip here in Chandler for their ultra-low pay, $80K~$90K for the typically 10-year experienced engineer. After 5pm, the office is dark as I have heard from others. But of course we all acknowledge the amount you can learn at MXIM basically goes like this: 1 year at MXIM = 3 years elsewhere.

That's NOT the life I want. That's why I'm here at Maxim. It's a resume-builder company. After that, if you want to move on, you will be hired by anybody, because you will know more and will be sharper than the person that interviews you.

Cons

RSU share count award gets lower and lower *EVERY* year. This applies to everyone.

Management acknowledges that the board believes stock price would appreciate 10% per year and hence adjusts down the RSU grant reward every year. Well, that's nonsense. Our stock price is flat and has been flat for a few years.

So I make less and less money every year. This is the most annoying thing working here at MXIM. I often find it hard to gather the energy I need to work even harder the following year.

If it wasn’t for the interesting work, I’d have left long time ago.

Many layoffs recently in the Mobility group due to a huge mistake the whole company made as a whole. Many people are considering leaving and are talking about it in the break rooms, to each other…etc. Morale is the lowest I have seen for years.

Senior management constantly travels to Chandler from San Jose, CA in recent months, hoping to calm people down and re-assure to us the re-structuring & layoffs are over. They are doing that because Chandler is the “headquarter” of PMIC, period. If we start losing people, this BU will suffer even more. This is the bonus time of the year. I anticipate after the bonus check is handed out (a few weeks from now), it’s our turn to start leaving one by one depending on the kind of raise & bonus (which is not much) people get.

I'm actually considering leaving the company as well, for 3 reasons:

(1) 70% of reason - RSU grant & PAY get worse year after year. Strong lack of motivation to work harder.
    (2) 15% of reason - MXIM has pretty much peaked out, at least in near term. Declining revenue. This is reflected in the reduction of our bonus check & the poor stock price performance. So yes, there is even less motivation to work harder because the pay is even lower year after year. CEO acknowledges in the few quarters ahead, don’t expect much. That’s what we told the investors. So there you go. I’m just repeating after him.
    (3) 15% of reason - Many engineers here aren’t technically competent. The managers are ok, with exception of one that recently got de-moted. Not sure why MXIM pays him hundreds of grand to handle the kinds of things an intern can do &-or any engineer with basic common sense would know how to do. What a waste of money.

Up the RSU share count to equate & beat the award last year if stock price remains flat. Otherwise, this is NOT helping keeping your best performers here. Otherwise, I'm leaving. Period.

Hard work, but learned a lot

Current Employee - Smts  in  Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Smts in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Maxim Integrated full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There is a lot of work. You are always busy. Learned alot, everyone is helpful. OK compensation and health benefits. Interesting products, nice building, nice work place.

Cons

Some engineers are not competent. No free food, pay is not that great, goes down every year, RSU aware goes down every year, bonus comes down every year, revenue falls every year. Good guys leave, bad guys stay. Some managers just want to do nothing, but move their lips.

UP the RSU award or lose people

Future is uncertain

Current Employee - Smts  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Smts in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Maxim Integrated full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good IP and experienced designers to draw from.

Cons

Stagnant career growth for many employees.

Good Ingredients, bad recipe and cook vs. chef...

Current Employee - Senior Member Technical Staff  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Member Technical Staff in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Maxim Integrated full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great customer base, great legacy, Excellent benefits and pay. Great facilities, Blue Chip customer base. Great vacation policy, some smart people

Cons

The company claims to be innovative but they still manage the development like they did in 1989. Management (TD, MM in particular) seem to think they can innovate using a Finance spreadsheet and project plan. Hey guys, you cant! It takes a clever person or team with the intestinal fortitude to move forward when the difficult problems emerge! Followers quit when they get to the hard part. Innovators have the courage and vision to plow through the most difficult problems. Ten companies will easily develop the easy, predictable products and then they will beat each other up on margins. Successful innovators love the hard problems because they know the other nine competitors will give up before solving the problem. TD and MM need to step away from their spreadsheets and project plans and listen to their customers and their most courageous and passionate innovators! The company stock price and revenue has remained relatively flat since the recovery. Their legacy business is shrinking and they have laid off their most creative staff for not innovating fast enough!

Tunc, Matt, Look in the mirror guys, after this many years with you two at the lead, there is not other group, customer or product line to blame! Place your bets on the bold, passionate and clever. You can't analyze your way into innovation. You will not maintain your gross margin targets without innovative products. Stop buying dead companies for $$$ (e.g. Volterra).

Good place to work if you are an engineer.

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Maxim Integrated full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good place to work if you are an engineer.

Cons

Not great if you are in supporting departments like IT

Improve collaboration. Make IT projects more top driven.

Work and credentials for this company

I have been working at Maxim Integrated for more than 3 years

Pros

Received good training and experience

Cons

Lack on leadership because company went contract and the incentives are not there

Overall it is very good experience working at Maxim

I have been working at Maxim Integrated

Pros

Good learning and good environment

Cons

Lot of challenging work. Good bonus

Worked for Maxim Integrated? Contribute to the Community!