May Institute

May Institute CEO Lauren C. Solotar

Lauren C. Solotar

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

HR - Fast Paced Environment

Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at May Institute full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat co-workers to work with; working on improving how the HR department is handled.

ConsThe company culture is unclear. Communication is unclear. You hear one thing from upper management, and something else from direct supervisor. Non competitive pay and benefits. A lot of unhappy employees within the corporate office.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees issues and concerns regarding changes within the company. You want it to be a work place of choice, then you need to address employee concerns without them feeling that if they speak up, it will be held against them.

Best work experience

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at May Institute full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMission of the company, students/clients you work with, new upper management is genuinely interested in their employees and their needs, room for professional development

ConsYou may get injured at work, lack of communication, lack of on the job training for new employees

Bumpy start but getting better

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsClinical expertise
Dedication and commitment of employees

ConsLots of changes and restructuring the last several months have made people feel uneasy, but the changes are ideally for the better

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people in the field
Make decisions more quickly
Give changes time to work and hold staff accountable to implementation

Very, very difficult job

Teacher Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at May Institute full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people that are next to you in the trenches are great, really their to help the client
The clients are easy to love and although they are difficult, they make the job worthwhile

ConsTerrible management
Slow decisions leading to a sometimes unsafe work environment
Often went without a break in a 14 hour shift

Advice to Senior ManagementFire them all!

Good for experience, but not worth it

Assistant Teacher (Current Employee)
Randolph, MA

I have been working at May Institute full-time for less than a year

ProsExperience
Earned leave
Benefits
Staff that sticks together to get through the day

ConsPay doesn't equal the workload
No vacation breaks such as winter, spring break
Management doesn't understand the work that takes place in the classroom
Difficult work environment - children can be aggressive and staff are routinely injured
Frequent turn-over (2-3 months)

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge the needs of your staff - raise the pay and listen to staff concerns. Don't keep accepting new students when the current students aren't properly staffed. This adds to staff stress and there's enough of that as is.

Getting Better Over Time

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at May Institute full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Tons of opportunities for training and development
- Excellent clinical leadership
- Accessibility of management on all levels
- Benefits
- Incentives for longevity
- Opportunity for advancement across the agency, not just your primary program
- Opportunity to work in multiple programs simultaneously
- Improved communication from the top down

Cons- Salary (however, over time, salaries increase as benefit costs decrease - just need to wait it out)
- Reduction in tuition reimbursement
- Mileage reimbursement

Advice to Senior Management- Continue to keep open lines of communication with all levels of staff. I am happy to see people in higher positions are more approachable in the past 2 years than ever before.

good company to get your start at for teaching

Teacher Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at May Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat company to get your start at, very rewarding positions, fun place to work

Consheirarchial structure with very huge and obvious lack of sound operations, could run a lot smoother for a school

Ok entry level position for those interested in ASD

Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at May Institute

ProsFair pay
Good benefits
Flexibility in scheduling

ConsUnfair Promotion Process
Little recognition for effort
Long hours and difficult work

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about your employees not just the BSP

Amazing Individuals, No So Amazing Leadership

I have been working at May Institute

ProsThe individuals served at the May are exactly that, individuals. working with these students provides great insight into Autism and PDD as well as many other mental health disorders. It is very rewarding to work with these people and watch them continue to develop with the help of the May curriculum.

ConsStaff are at great risk for injury due to student behaviors, most frequently bites and bruises. The corporate leadership is very slow and disconnected from the staff that actually works with these individuals. In some cases inadequate measures are in place to protect staff from avoidable injuries. Over the past year several changes to the May have been announced and none have ever come to fruition.

Gossip is as rampant as it is in a high school locker room. If you say one thing that ruffles a feather everyone knows about it within twenty minutes. Supervisory and HR staff does not respond appropriately to staff concerns, often trying to pressure staff into seeing things their way. This often results in unwarranted disciplinary action for the staff with concerns. This may be one of the reasons for the high staff turnover rate

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the concerns of staff that actually work with the individuals served in order the maintain safety of both staff and individuals.

Do not announce a major change unless the company is ready to put it into action.

Consult directty with staff that raise concerns instead of going through the grapevine of e-mails in order to obtain the correct information.

great job for dedicated employees

Senior Therapist (Former Employee)

I worked at May Institute

ProsThe May offers Flexible work options such as flexible hours, part-time/fulltime, varied job responsibilities, frequent variation in number of hours worked. There are many opportunities for career growth and education. The May has its own post-graduate education program including doctoral level training. There are frequent opportunities for inhouse professional development and opportunities to request training on specific topics. The supervision is on a hierarchy model and supervisors are available by cell phone at all times.

ConsMost positions at the May require extensive travel with no defined territory. Although higher up positions are salaried, many of the starting positions are fee for service and do not included benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a better system of compensating new staff members.

Worked for May Institute? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at May Institute reviews and ratings in Randolph, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for May Institute CEO Lauren C. Solotar. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by May Institute employees.