May Institute

Updated August 19, 2014

May Institute CEO Lauren C. Solotar
Lauren C. Solotar

Talent Acquisition Specialist

I have been working at May Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

The work atmosphere here is unlike any other. Everyone is friendly, eager to advance their careers, and most importantly in it to better the lives of others. I have only been with the company a short while, but everyone I have met and interacted with are professional and willing to train/help others achieve their goals.

Cons

This job can be very challenging on many levels, so if you are looking for a challenge and to make an impact on the lives of others this is your place. I would not advise this company for those who are looking to get rich or work for a company that does not enforce it's policies to ensure fairness to all.

Sad, Sad, Sad.

Former Employee - House Parent  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - House Parent in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at May Institute part-time for more than a year

Pros

The concept of the job was rewarding. The job involves caring for mentally handicapped clients and covers a wide range of responsibility. You form a bond with each individual and watch them progress and become more independent. You work with the same clients in the same house everyday so the routine stays the same. Each client gets an allowance which allows outings and various activities during the weekends. There is never a dull moment in this work environment. CPR and other health classes such as medication suspension are given.

Cons

Management at the time was terrible. They did not care for their staff or the well being of the clients. They will try to put you on PRN status so you can't advance, yet keep you on the schedule consistently. Most of the work is weekends or nights through the week. Shifts can be long and the work involved is not worth the pay.

If you are going to be in a position where your concern lies with the clients and staff, please be genuine about it. Do not steal money that belongs to the clients. This is a job that involves compassion and understanding and really to care. If you are not dedicated to this type of work, go manage elsewhere.

Sad,sad,sad

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at May Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team of co-workers. Loved the people I serviced.

Cons

I thought the mission, was to up hold dignity, respect and to strengthen are clients. No what, the may is about is money an not human service. I thought as Dr's, clinicians, psychologist you hold an oath, to better a person. The CEO, doesn't care, if she did thereraises wod be better benefit packages, yearly raises, employee appreciation day, employee inservices. The direct care professional, office managers, receptionist get paid nothing, but keep this business going.

To get better management skill, communication is key. When asked a questions, we want answers an proof not lies.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great mission, many good co-workers; middle and upper management take advantage of staff.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Randolph, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Randolph, MA

I worked at May Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Rewarding work; love the consumers. Some talented and dedicated co-workers. Company does good work.

Cons

No salary increases in years (I NEVER had a performance review.); promised career advancement never materialized; expensive insurance, especially for newer employees; Retribution is a way of life. New management is losing the confidence of rank-and-file staff. Some managers make people miserable until they just leave. "Anonymous" employee satisfaction surveys are not - they are really color coded & can be traced. My supervisor was given a copy of mine & she was not happy.

Take employees seriously. Pay attention to comments in employee satisfaction surveys - they are important. Start giving annual performance reviews. Make sure that "anonymous" surveys are truly anonymous. Be honest with the staff. Spend company funds more wisely. Stop supervisors from mistreating staff.

Great coworkers

Current Employee - Assistant Teacher  in  Randolph, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Teacher in Randolph, MA

I have been working at May Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers and the children are amazing! Amazing team building opportunities.

Cons

No raises. You have to fight to put in for time off.

Great people doing amazing work

Current Employee - Director  in  Randolph, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Randolph, MA

I have been working at May Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

May Institute has a dedication to improving the lives of both adults and kids that is obvious from the moment you step in the door. It's not just an award winning school for children with Autism, they also do research, assist adults with developmental needs, consult with public schools and run day programs for disabled adults.

Cons

Like most human services organizations, there's always a challenge around funding.

Your employees look up to you and appreciate the opportunity to contribute to a truly diverse and compassionate effort.

HR - Fast Paced Environment

Former Employee - Human Resources Coordinator  in  Randolph, MA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Randolph, MA

I worked at May Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers to work with; working on improving how the HR department is handled.

Cons

The company culture is unclear. Communication is unclear. You hear one thing from upper management, and something else from direct supervisor. Non competitive pay and benefits. A lot of unhappy employees within the corporate office.

Listen to employees issues and concerns regarding changes within the company. You want it to be a work place of choice, then you need to address employee concerns without them feeling that if they speak up, it will be held against them.

Horrible experience

I worked at May Institute full-time

Pros

free parking
    the mission is good

Cons

not willing to change
    treat people badly

Unstable

I worked at May Institute

Pros

Excellent benefits. Outtings with residents. Plenty of over-time. Diversity. In-house transfer. Provides company vehicle to transport residents

Cons

Low wages. High liability passing meds & interactions with residents.

Work as a team. PC's should treat their staff fairly across the board.

Very good positive would work there again

Current Employee - DSP  in  Orange Park, FL
    Current Employee - DSP in Orange Park, FL

I have been working at May Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

Promotes from within has health care and Aflac

Cons

Some employees do not follow policies

Keep up the good work

Worked for May Institute? Contribute to the Community!