May Institute Reviews

Lauren C. Solotar

1. good company to get your start at for teaching

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Randolph, MA
    Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Randolph, MA

I have been working at May Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great company to get your start at, very rewarding positions, fun place to work

Cons

heirarchial structure with very huge and obvious lack of sound operations, could run a lot smoother for a school

2. Great people doing amazing work

Current Employee - Director in Randolph, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Randolph, MA

I have been working at May Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

May Institute has a dedication to improving the lives of both adults and kids that is obvious from the moment you step in the door. It's not just an award winning school for children with Autism, they also do research, assist adults with developmental needs, consult with public schools and run day programs for disabled adults.

Cons

Like most human services organizations, there's always a challenge around funding.

Advice to Management

Your employees look up to you and appreciate the opportunity to contribute to a truly diverse and compassionate effort.

3. Talent Acquisition Specialist

I have been working at May Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work atmosphere here is unlike any other. Everyone is friendly, eager to advance their careers, and most importantly in it to better the lives of others. I have only been with the company a short while, but everyone I have met and interacted with are professional and willing to train/help others achieve their goals.

Cons

This job can be very challenging on many levels, so if you are looking for a challenge and to make an impact on the lives of others this is your place. I would not advise this company for those who are looking to get rich or work for a company that does not enforce it's policies to ensure fairness to all.

Rewarding job working for an amazing organization - among the extremely hard-working, welcoming, and friendly people of the communications/public relations department.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Randolph, MA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Randolph, MA

I worked at May Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helping children always feels good, but knowing that the work that you are contributing to is actually helping children around the country who are living with autism and other developmental disabilities is an incredibly rewarding feeling - one that I was able to be reminded of on a daily basis, through the beneficial results of our positive outreach and communication efforts, conferences, campaigns, and programs. Not only was working at May Institute enjoyable, but working for May, and learning so much from some of the organizations most influential and important employees, was even more satisfying.

Cons

Only that the handful of people in the comm/pr department at May/NACs headquarters handles all of the communications and public relations work for the entire, (national,) organization. Although each member of the dept. specializes in certain areas that they put to use when contributing to the final outcome, May Institutes communications/PR department is able to excel in their work because they seem to have their own system of working together as one unit in order to consistently produce excellent results. Being new to the department, it can be difficult to get up to speed with this system, however, being an assistant to the dept. allows each member of the comm/PR team to utilize someone in this position to help them produce results without as much stress and time-constraints as they usually handle on a daily basis, because they have someone there to help pick up the slack while working on the numerous very important projects that the dept puts together every month.

Advice to Management

Hopefully they have an administrative assistant working for the communications/public relations department again, because the wonderful people working in that department deserve to always have someone there to help them achieve their daily goals in any way that will be of positive assistance! :-)

6. Intern at the center school

I have been working at May Institute

Pros

Staff is super helpful to us interns, they will answer any questions you have and will let you run trials and programs with the students. They make interns feel welcomed even though we are there for a short time period. I have learned so much from interning at the May Center school, the experience has been helpful with applying for other jobs in the same field. Its a great starting point for people who are interested in the field. Also they are interested in hiring interns as full time employees. So if you make a good impression, it is likely they will want to keep you.

Cons

Personally there are not many cons, but I have heard a few horror stories from other people when I mention The May. In the long run It is all circumstantial, some people are not going to like it

7. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Taunton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Taunton, MA

I have been working at May Institute (More than 10 years)

Pros

caring, dedicated and smart people

Cons

high turnover and chronic vacancies can make it difficult, but the staff pull together and work well as a team. Residential and School staff need to work together as a team

Advice to Management

need to be more proactive rather than reactive

8. A Wonderful Community of People

Current Employee - Direct Care
    Current Employee - Direct Care

I have been working at May Institute

Pros

The individuals served are by far the best reason to work at May Institute. Each day is different and you learn something new about yourself every step along the way. If you enjoy a home-like environment, you can choose to work residentially. There, you form familial bonds with the people you work with. The day center provides a more structured environment, where you can daily watch people grow and learn.

Cons

The pay is no where near as good as comparable companies, but the benefits are fantastic. If you add up the time off with the reduced cost in health insurance, paid lunches/dinners/movies/out to dinner/any outing you can think of, it most-likely surpasses other companies. However, if you don't get along with your co-workers, it can be hard to really enjoy those outings. Best case- going to work feels like going home. Worst case- you will have to put up with endless gossip and complaints. Also, the individuals can be aggressive, so you will quickly learn whether you have what it takes to keep them safe.

Advice to Management

Who is Walter P Christian?

great job for dedicated employees

Former Employee - Senior Therapist in Randolph, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Therapist in Randolph, MA

I worked at May Institute

Pros

The May offers Flexible work options such as flexible hours, part-time/fulltime, varied job responsibilities, frequent variation in number of hours worked. There are many opportunities for career growth and education. The May has its own post-graduate education program including doctoral level training. There are frequent opportunities for inhouse professional development and opportunities to request training on specific topics. The supervision is on a hierarchy model and supervisors are available by cell phone at all times.

Cons

Most positions at the May require extensive travel with no defined territory. Although higher up positions are salaried, many of the starting positions are fee for service and do not included benefits.

Advice to Management

Develop a better system of compensating new staff members.

10. Getting Better Over Time

Current Employee - Manager in Randolph, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Randolph, MA

I have been working at May Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Tons of opportunities for training and development - Excellent clinical leadership - Accessibility of management on all levels - Benefits - Incentives for longevity - Opportunity for advancement across the agency, not just your primary program - Opportunity to work in multiple programs simultaneously - Improved communication from the top down

Cons

- Salary (however, over time, salaries increase as benefit costs decrease - just need to wait it out) - Reduction in tuition reimbursement - Mileage reimbursement

Advice to Management

- Continue to keep open lines of communication with all levels of staff. I am happy to see people in higher positions are more approachable in the past 2 years than ever before.

11. Skill-building in self-help and self-care Assistance and training with household activities and chores such as cooking,

Current Employee - Program Specialist (Residential) in Attleboro, MA
    Current Employee - Program Specialist (Residential) in Attleboro, MA

I have been working at May Institute part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I’m a people person. I am always happiest and most satisfied when I’m interacting with people making sure I was able to meet their needs and giving them the best possible attention. It’s my favorite part of the job, and it shows I’m rating as Good of the time. Part of the reason I’m interested in this job is that I know I’d have even more interaction with Individuals, on an even more critical level.

Cons

The Downside of the distance, More Miles per Gallon. If nothing else, this might be a great jobs program, I love it. I would have a very strong incentive to work with the Organization.

Advice to Management

She Makes sure each and every employee understands how fragile the relationship really is. have a clear understanding of the organization mission and how you fit into the overall scheme of things.

RSS Feed </> Embed