May Institute Reviews

Lauren C. Solotar

1. Technology Teacher

Former Employee - Technology Teacher in Allston, MA
    Former Employee - Technology Teacher in Allston, MA

I worked at May Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My supervisor was great, spent a lot of time and effort supporting me and my ideas. There are a lot of talented clinical staff working with the students.

Cons

Difficult to implement ideas because of red tape. Very loud environment, rapid turn over of staff, kids don't come to class because of behaviors so you end up getting put into ratio in classrooms too much. Very distracting, and was asked to do a lot of things that were not on my list of expected responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Better wages, improve voice for staff at all levels of company, more clearly defined roles.

2. The May Institute of Mass.

Former Employee - Program Specialist in Manchester, CT
    Former Employee - Program Specialist in Manchester, CT

I worked at May Institute

Pros

Thea best part was working directly with an undeserved and at-risk population in my community. The employees that choose this line of work are committed to the mission, vision, and values of this type of organization, and want the clients to have the best quality of life possible. This leads to a great team work atmosphere where people worked together.

Cons

The worst part was that they didn't appreciate the staff and failed to nurture the skills of thirst current employees and went outside for management hires. They backed their management choices to the detriment of the organization. The program managers filed a class action lawsuit against the organization for violations in labor law, and the staff won. The organization is now no longer on business in the State of Connecticut.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to employ performance improvement programs in place so that the staff can feel more invested in improving the operations of the company. There would have been great cost savings and better morale had they done so. Instead they hired under qualified managers that was exclusively White, even though more than 60% of the clients were from minority populations.

3. Program Specialist

I have been working at May Institute full-time

Pros

Pay, support, benefits are all there. Including all training as well as tuition reimbursement, mileage reimbursement, overtime pay, bonuses

Cons

There really isn't much. Sometimes working with staff who don't like the job can b difficult; however that is everywhere and those people don't last long.

Advice to Management

Hire people that are compassionate about the work they do. Continue showing recognition for those who work so hard in his challenging field

5. Little Administrative Support, Lots of Pointing Fingers

Former Employee - Former Employee in Randolph, MA
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Randolph, MA

I worked at May Institute

Pros

Great kids, hardworking and mostly friendly lower level employees.

Cons

Little support from administrative team. Lots of pointing fingers when really there are just so many systematic problems about fear of taking responsibility.

Advice to Management

Ensure that your staff is trained thoroughly, so they feel comfortable doing their jobs.

ABA therapist fee-for-service

Former Employee - ABA Therapist Fee for Seevice in Randolph, MA
    Former Employee - ABA Therapist Fee for Seevice in Randolph, MA

I worked at May Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The kids you work with are wonderful and the relief/ appreciation the parents express to you on their child's progress is an amazing feeling! They provide good benefits as well.

Cons

Very poor communication from the supervisors on behavior plans. There is no potential room for growth and they don't offer to pay a quarter of what similar companies will to return to school. The fee for service is HORRIBLE in the winter when sessions are cancelled due to the weather because you don't get paid. If a client cancels when they greet you at the door, or forget to cancel at all you don't get paid. Every other company I worked for paid if there wasn't a 24 hour cancellation as well as missing a session due to inclement weather. There is barely enough time to get from one session to another so forget eating! They will promise more hours if you need them..... IF management actually follows through it can sometimes take months. Finally the office environment feels like high school, there are cliques where blatant favoritism is given to those who are closest to specific supervisors. I would never work there again.

Advice to Management

Improve your communication between supervisors and home based therapists who travel. Make a 24 hour cancellation rule so especially in the winter your staff can pay their bills and not receive a two week paycheck for less than $10. Pay closer attention to the favoritism going on with the younger supervisors, client distribution can be very uneven. Also staff would appreciate some sort of overtime if you stay hours in the office analyzing assessments in order to find targeted programs to submit to your supervisor for the program book. Then on your own time ( in most cases for new clients) you end up compiling the program book which can warrant enough hours for paid overtime.

7. Intern at the center school

I have been working at May Institute

Pros

Staff is super helpful to us interns, they will answer any questions you have and will let you run trials and programs with the students. They make interns feel welcomed even though we are there for a short time period. I have learned so much from interning at the May Center school, the experience has been helpful with applying for other jobs in the same field. Its a great starting point for people who are interested in the field. Also they are interested in hiring interns as full time employees. So if you make a good impression, it is likely they will want to keep you.

Cons

Personally there are not many cons, but I have heard a few horror stories from other people when I mention The May. In the long run It is all circumstantial, some people are not going to like it

8. Heart's in the right place... that's about it.

I have been working at May Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love what this company does. They really do work hard to help the students with Autism. For the most part, they really care.

Cons

There are no real raises. Things are done in a way that strongly lacks professionalism. If they like you, you're in, if they don't, you get no mobility. Everyone is out for themselves and there's a lot of drama. There is a high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees. This is why you have such a high turnover rate. Be more supportive to your staff and make them feel valued.

9. Occupational Therapist Review
    May Institute, Randolph, MA

Former Employee - Occupational Therapist in Randolph, MA
    Former Employee - Occupational Therapist in Randolph, MA

I worked at May Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great interdisciplinary collaboration
    Supportive allied health team
    Group activities
    Challenging & fast-paced environment

Cons

Services provided via consultation (non-direct OT, PT, & SLP services)

Challenging but fulfilling

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Randolph, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Randolph, MA

I have been working at May Institute full-time

Pros

Interesting work, opportunities to be involved in research, like and admire the people I work with, variety, autonomy.

Cons

Work-life balance, minimal contact with colleagues, disorganization.

Depressing

I worked at May Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with the individuals is one of the most fulfilling and uplifting things in the world and almost cancels out the copious amounts of stress from everything else.

Cons

While working with the individuals is highly rewarding, the poor management and terrible coworkers drag everything else down. Every part of the management needs improvement, from the lower side being so disconnected to the needs of both employees and individuals to the higher ups treating this company like a business. The needs of the individual should be the number one priority, not how much your company is being funded because individuals are attending the day centers.

Advice to Management

Switch fields, these are peoples lives you're managing, not some business.

RSS Feed </> Embed