May Institute

Lauren C. Solotar

Behavior Assistant

Former Employee - Behavior Specialist in Orange Park, FL
    Former Employee - Behavior Specialist in Orange Park, FL

I worked at May Institute (less than an year)

Pros

Nothing is confidential its all town, kids have expensive behavior problems, even with the training unable to control LOW LOW PAY, NO RAISE"S EVER

Cons

Their are not Con's no salary increase - EVER

Why is nothing ever confidential?? To much passing the buck to lower level employee

Sinking ship

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at May Institute full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Colleagues devoted to providing high quality services to kids in need
    The feeling you get when speaking to a family who is so grateful for what you do for their family

Cons

Lack of communication
    Shift to having a more visible Chief FINANCIAL officer over the Chief CLINICAL officer - I thought we were known for our clinical services not financial services
    Overly reactive, not proactive, leadership.

Need to find the balance between volatile reactive decision making and taking too long to make thoughtful decisions

Rewarding job working for an amazing organization - among the extremely hard-working, welcoming, and friendly people of the communications/public relations department.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Randolph, MA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Randolph, MA

I worked at May Institute full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Helping children always feels good, but knowing that the work that you are contributing to is actually helping children around the country who are living with autism and other developmental disabilities is an incredibly rewarding feeling - one that I was able to be reminded of on a daily basis, through the beneficial results of our positive outreach and communication efforts, conferences, campaigns, and programs. Not only was working at May Institute enjoyable, but working for May, and learning so much from some of the organizations most influential and important employees, was even more satisfying.

Cons

Only that the handful of people in the comm/pr department at May/NACs headquarters handles all of the communications and public relations work for the entire, (national,) organization. Although each member of the dept. specializes in certain areas that they put to use when contributing to the final outcome, May Institutes communications/PR department is able to excel in their work because they seem to have their own system of working together as one unit in order to consistently produce excellent results.
    Being new to the department, it can be difficult to get up to speed with this system, however, being an assistant to the dept. allows each member of the comm/PR team to utilize someone in this position to help them produce results without as much stress and time-constraints as they usually handle on a daily basis, because they have someone there to help pick up the slack while working on the numerous very important projects that the dept puts together every month.

Hopefully they have an administrative assistant working for the communications/public relations department again, because the wonderful people working in that department deserve to always have someone there to help them achieve their daily goals in any way that will be of positive assistance! :-)

Sad,sad,sad

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at May Institute full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great team of co-workers. Loved the people I serviced.

Cons

I thought the mission, was to up hold dignity, respect and to strengthen are clients. No what, the may is about is money an not human service. I thought as Dr's, clinicians, psychologist you hold an oath, to better a person. The CEO, doesn't care, if she did thereraises wod be better benefit packages, yearly raises, employee appreciation day, employee inservices. The direct care professional, office managers, receptionist get paid nothing, but keep this business going.

To get better management skill, communication is key. When asked a questions, we want answers an proof not lies.

Sad, Sad, Sad.

Former Employee - House Parent in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - House Parent in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at May Institute part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The concept of the job was rewarding. The job involves caring for mentally handicapped clients and covers a wide range of responsibility. You form a bond with each individual and watch them progress and become more independent. You work with the same clients in the same house everyday so the routine stays the same. Each client gets an allowance which allows outings and various activities during the weekends. There is never a dull moment in this work environment. CPR and other health classes such as medication suspension are given.

Cons

Management at the time was terrible. They did not care for their staff or the well being of the clients. They will try to put you on PRN status so you can't advance, yet keep you on the schedule consistently. Most of the work is weekends or nights through the week. Shifts can be long and the work involved is not worth the pay.

If you are going to be in a position where your concern lies with the clients and staff, please be genuine about it. Do not steal money that belongs to the clients. This is a job that involves compassion and understanding and really to care. If you are not dedicated to this type of work, go manage elsewhere.

Great mission, many good co-workers; middle and upper management take advantage of staff.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Randolph, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Randolph, MA

I worked at May Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Rewarding work; love the consumers. Some talented and dedicated co-workers. Company does good work.

Cons

No salary increases in years (I NEVER had a performance review.); promised career advancement never materialized; expensive insurance, especially for newer employees; Retribution is a way of life. New management is losing the confidence of rank-and-file staff. Some managers make people miserable until they just leave. "Anonymous" employee satisfaction surveys are not - they are really color coded & can be traced. My supervisor was given a copy of mine & she was not happy.

Take employees seriously. Pay attention to comments in employee satisfaction surveys - they are important. Start giving annual performance reviews. Make sure that "anonymous" surveys are truly anonymous. Be honest with the staff. Spend company funds more wisely. Stop supervisors from mistreating staff.

Talent Acquisition Specialist

I have been working at May Institute full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work atmosphere here is unlike any other. Everyone is friendly, eager to advance their careers, and most importantly in it to better the lives of others. I have only been with the company a short while, but everyone I have met and interacted with are professional and willing to train/help others achieve their goals.

Cons

This job can be very challenging on many levels, so if you are looking for a challenge and to make an impact on the lives of others this is your place. I would not advise this company for those who are looking to get rich or work for a company that does not enforce it's policies to ensure fairness to all.

Great coworkers

Current Employee - Assistant Teacher in Randolph, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Teacher in Randolph, MA

I have been working at May Institute full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers and the children are amazing! Amazing team building opportunities.

Cons

No raises. You have to fight to put in for time off.

Great people doing amazing work

Current Employee - Director in Randolph, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Randolph, MA

I have been working at May Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

May Institute has a dedication to improving the lives of both adults and kids that is obvious from the moment you step in the door. It's not just an award winning school for children with Autism, they also do research, assist adults with developmental needs, consult with public schools and run day programs for disabled adults.

Cons

Like most human services organizations, there's always a challenge around funding.

Your employees look up to you and appreciate the opportunity to contribute to a truly diverse and compassionate effort.

Horrible experience

I worked at May Institute full-time

Pros

free parking
    the mission is good

Cons

not willing to change
    treat people badly